Re: New laptop, no game CD port??

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

★★★ Novice

BTW I should mention the file on mine is called

Sims 3 (sims 3 launcher. Exe)

Rather than  Sims 3 (ts3w. Exe) like on yours? 

Message 11 of 18 (381 Views)

[ Edited ]

Edit:. I just saw your second post.  You specifically need to use TS3.exe, not the launcher .exe.  Again, TS3w.exe with the w is only if you installed using a disc or through Steam; TS3.exe is for an Origin install.

@heather2131  You've set the Max Frame Rate to 60 and it still goes over?  That's uncommon, but it's fine, there are other tools you can try instead.  The simplest one to use is RivaTuner Statistics Server, which is free and doesn't have any extra features to deal with.  The one caveat is that it does have to be running while you play, so don't X it out, just minimize it to the tray.  When you install and launch it, you'll see this:

RTSS.png

You can choose to start it with Windows or not (yellow box); it takes very little in the way of resources, so it's not a big deal to have it running.  Again, choose TS3.exe for an Origin install or TS3w.exe for other kinds of installs, then set your preferred framerate limit (red box).  You may need to restart your computer to get it to work.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 12 of 18 (718 Views)

★★★ Novice

Ts3w.exe isn't there? Only the launcher file

Thank you so much for helping

Message 13 of 18 (375 Views)

@heather2131  I promise you that if you have Sims 3 installed on your computer, there's a TS3.exe in there somewhere.  If you don't see it, click Add, then Browse, then navigate to the game's program files, which by default will be here for an Origin install:

Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 3\Game\Bin

Message 14 of 18 (369 Views)

★★★ Novice

I managed to find it through browsing but it hasn't worked

I'll have to try the other way

Message 15 of 18 (360 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

So I've installed that

And now the little fps number on the sims says 144 at the most

Hang on do I need to set it to 60? Haha

It's been a long day

Is that right?

Thank you so much

Is there anything I could do? 

Message 16 of 18 (352 Views)
Highlighted

@heather2131  Does your screen run at 60 Hz or higher?  If you're not sure, right-click on the desktop, select Display Settings, then Advanced Display Settings, and check the refresh rate.  If it says 60, then anything over that is useless noise.

My screenshot says 144 because I took it on a computer hooked up to a 144 Hz monitor, with a graphics card that can handle that fps easily.  But 60 fps would lower the workload on your graphics card, so unless you have a screen that can run higher AND you notice a difference in image quality between 60 and higher, there's no real point in running the game at anything higher than 60.

Message 17 of 18 (347 Views)

★★★ Novice

It's 120 Hz

Thank you so much for all your help

I never would have known all about this otherwise

Message 18 of 18 (343 Views)