Re: New laptop/computer

by WallFlower26

Original Post

Accepted Solution

New laptop/computer

★★★ Apprentice

I want to get a laptop/computer that will support everything The Sims - past, present and future - with ease.

I’m from England and my approx budget is £399.99.

Is that doable?

Any help in picking one is gratefully appreciated.

Message 1 of 25 (1,234 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]

@WallFlower26  I looked at Amazon U.K., Currys, Overclockers, and CyberpowerPC U.K.  The last two sell custom builds, so you can add or subtract features to try to stay within your budget.  Currys doesn't have a whole lot of options, at least in the entry-level gaming PC category, and Amazon is a huge headache to search.  Still, on both sites, the models with an Nvidia 1050 2 GB, which is still not quite enough for ultra settings if you have all packs installed, start at £550.

With Overclockers and Cyberpower, I started with the cheapest model that would support a decent graphics card and added that.  Even with no other additions and the cheapest possible case, this model from Overclockers would cost £556.  The cheapest card available, an AMD Radeon RX 570, is equivalent to an Nvidia 1060 3 GB; both cards are right on the edge of what could be expected to run TS4 on ultra for its entire run.  The processor, an AMD 2200G, isn't great but should be fine if you don't do anything else while playing TS4.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ocuk-kinetic-r1-gaming-pc-amd-ryzen-raven-ridge-ryzen-3-2200g-fs-1ca-...

Cyberpower is a bit trickier because it has more models, but not all of them support the graphics card you'd need.  This model, with a Radeon 560 (equivalent to an Nvidia 1050 ti), the cheapest 8 GB RAM option, and no other upgrades, would cost £495 including VAT.

https://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/system/AM4-Ryzen-3-Gaming-PC-Configurator

But you'd really need to upgrade the power supply; the cheapest option is +£14.  Other upgrades I'd recommend, if you could manage, would be the next processor up for £5 extra, and the AMD 570 8 GB graphics card, for an extra £20.  (You could also play with the storage options, but it wouldn't save you much money.)  With the VAT added in, this configuration would cost you £542, again with no monitor.

These are the cheapest laptops I could find when I looked a week ago, on Currys (sold out of this model, otherwise £580) and Amazon (£600).

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/asus-tuf-fx505dy-15-6-amd-ryzen-5-rx-560x-ga...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-FX505DY-BQ008T-Bezel-Gaming-Laptop/dp/B07MWD7SNN?th=1

When looking for computers, it's really just a matter of knowing what kind of hardware is required for its indended purpose, in this case playing TS4 on the highest settings.  Any card weaker than an Nvidia 1050 or an AMD 560 won't be enough for the game.  Processors are a bit harder to judge sometimes, but anything new that doesn't have a U or Y in its product number will be fine.  (Some of the strongest U-series processors might be fine, if you can find one with a proper graphics card.)  RAM is easy: get at least 8 GB.  But if you compromise any more than that, you're not going to be able to play the way you want, and you may end up looking for another upgrade in a year or two.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 4 of 25 (1,209 Views)

All Replies

@WallFlower26  I just looked for someone else in the U.K., and I couldn't find any laptops under £400 that would run TS4 on anything more than low settings.  The very cheapest options that would run the game well start at about £600.  These computers could handle ultra settings now but might need to dial back to high in a year or two, depending on what the next TS4 packs look like.  Laptops with hardware that will always be able to handle ultra settings, no matter how TS4 develops, are usually £800 and up.

Desktops are usually a bit cheaper for equal or slightly stronger components, not including a monitor.  But looking at a few different sites, the cheapest decent options, with no upgrades over the very minimum required, would still cost over £500.  Anything less, and you're not getting a dedicated graphics card, which is absolutely necessary to run the more demanding expansion packs on anything more than the lowest settings, especially if you have most or all of them installed.

I'm sorry, but there really aren't any good options in your price range.

Message 2 of 25 (1,224 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

@puzzlezaddictHow do you work out what will work and won’t? Can I see what/where you’ve been looking at?

Message 3 of 25 (1,218 Views)

[ Edited ]

@WallFlower26  I looked at Amazon U.K., Currys, Overclockers, and CyberpowerPC U.K.  The last two sell custom builds, so you can add or subtract features to try to stay within your budget.  Currys doesn't have a whole lot of options, at least in the entry-level gaming PC category, and Amazon is a huge headache to search.  Still, on both sites, the models with an Nvidia 1050 2 GB, which is still not quite enough for ultra settings if you have all packs installed, start at £550.

With Overclockers and Cyberpower, I started with the cheapest model that would support a decent graphics card and added that.  Even with no other additions and the cheapest possible case, this model from Overclockers would cost £556.  The cheapest card available, an AMD Radeon RX 570, is equivalent to an Nvidia 1060 3 GB; both cards are right on the edge of what could be expected to run TS4 on ultra for its entire run.  The processor, an AMD 2200G, isn't great but should be fine if you don't do anything else while playing TS4.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ocuk-kinetic-r1-gaming-pc-amd-ryzen-raven-ridge-ryzen-3-2200g-fs-1ca-...

Cyberpower is a bit trickier because it has more models, but not all of them support the graphics card you'd need.  This model, with a Radeon 560 (equivalent to an Nvidia 1050 ti), the cheapest 8 GB RAM option, and no other upgrades, would cost £495 including VAT.

https://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/system/AM4-Ryzen-3-Gaming-PC-Configurator

But you'd really need to upgrade the power supply; the cheapest option is +£14.  Other upgrades I'd recommend, if you could manage, would be the next processor up for £5 extra, and the AMD 570 8 GB graphics card, for an extra £20.  (You could also play with the storage options, but it wouldn't save you much money.)  With the VAT added in, this configuration would cost you £542, again with no monitor.

These are the cheapest laptops I could find when I looked a week ago, on Currys (sold out of this model, otherwise £580) and Amazon (£600).

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/asus-tuf-fx505dy-15-6-amd-ryzen-5-rx-560x-ga...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-FX505DY-BQ008T-Bezel-Gaming-Laptop/dp/B07MWD7SNN?th=1

When looking for computers, it's really just a matter of knowing what kind of hardware is required for its indended purpose, in this case playing TS4 on the highest settings.  Any card weaker than an Nvidia 1050 or an AMD 560 won't be enough for the game.  Processors are a bit harder to judge sometimes, but anything new that doesn't have a U or Y in its product number will be fine.  (Some of the strongest U-series processors might be fine, if you can find one with a proper graphics card.)  RAM is easy: get at least 8 GB.  But if you compromise any more than that, you're not going to be able to play the way you want, and you may end up looking for another upgrade in a year or two.

Message 4 of 25 (1,210 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

@puzzlezaddict I’m totally lost, I don’t understand most of what you typed there 😂😩

Looks like I’m going to have to increase my budget, what about up to £1000? 😦😩

Message 5 of 25 (1,198 Views)

[ Edited ]

@WallFlower26  I can explain each hardware component to you separately, if you want.  But the bottom line is, you're not going to get a computer strong enough to run Sims 4 on the highest settings, even now, unless you can pay more for it.  The point of the custom computers is that you can pick which parts to upgrade, and how, without having to upgrade all the others (and pay for all of it).  If you wanted to go that route, I would be happy to customize the system for you.  From the prices I saw, this would probably be the better way to go, as you'd end up paying the same price as you would for a prebuilt model on Amazon or Currys, and you'd get a stronger graphics card out of it.

Still though, there's a floor below which it's just not possible to build or buy a computer that will run TS4 the way you want.  £400 isn't enough, no matter where you look.  The prices I listed were to give you an idea of how much you'd need to be prepared to spend to get what you're looking for.  Sometimes a sale will shave a bit off the price tag, but I doubt you'd ever be able to find what you wanted for less than £500.  And, of course, if you bought a desktop, you'd need a monitor as well, unless you already have one.

Edit:  I just saw your recent edit, and you could get whatever you needed for £1000, or even a bit less.  That goes for both laptops and desktops.  Let me know what you're comfortable spending—it probably doesn't have to be quite that high if you don't want, especially if you decide to go with a desktop.  But I can definitely find you some really good options in the £800-900 range.

Message 6 of 25 (1,184 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

@puzzlezaddict I do have the means to spend up to £1000, just really don’t like spending my money aha.

Yes please to you offering...

1. I can explain each hardware component to you separately, if you want.

2. I would be happy to customize the system for you.

3. But I can definitely find you some really good options in the £800-900 range.

I’d rather a laptop as don’t have anywhere to put a desktop and monitor.

What can I put laptop on to keep it cool as I use it on my bed.

Message 7 of 25 (1,179 Views)

[ Edited ]

@WallFlower26  Alright, there are several components that determine how well you can run TS4.  Here's the shorter version; let me know if you'd like more details on anything.

Processor:  You want a CPU with at least 4 cores; six is nice but not necessary.  Both Intel and AMD make U-series processors (e.g. Intel i5-8250U, AMD Ryzen 3 2200U), which are designed to run in low-energy mode, and most of these are not very good for gaming.  The strongest ones are fine for TS4 though.  There are too many models to list, but anything new that doesn't have a U on the end is fine, as are the i7 and Ryzen 7 U-series.

Memory:  This is easy.  You need at least 8 GB RAM for TS4.  16 GB is better for multitasking while playing but isn't necessary for the game itself.  You can add more later if you want; RAM is very easy to install.

Graphics card:  The short version is, there are several cards you should be looking for, depending on your budget and expectations for how TS4 runs on your system.  What can easily handle the game now may not be strong enough for ultra settings in a couple of years, when newer, more demanding expansions are released.  Here are the tiers of cards

• Nvidia 1050 ti and AMD Radeon RX 560: will run the game on ultra now; in the future, will probably only manage high settings
  • Nvidia 1060 3 GB and RX 570 4 GB: may or may not be quite strong enough for ultra settings in the future
  • 1060 6 GB and RX 580 8 GB: will always run TS4 on ultra settings

Storage:  You'll want at least 512 GB total storage for TS4, more if you have a lot of music, movies, photos, etc. that you want on your computer.  Solid state drives (SSDs) are faster than mechanical drives (HDDs), but this won't make a difference to TS4.  It will make other apps faster, as well as cut down the time it takes to copy data.  An SSD is not necessary though.

So, what I need to know from you is whether you plan to run any other games or apps on this computer besides TS4, and how much storage you'd like.  If there are any other hardware options you'd prefer, like 16 GB RAM or an SSD, please let me know as well.  Laptops are easier to choose because they mostly can't be customized, although I'll check the custom sites anyway to compare prices.  I'll post some options later today, after I get a chance to poke around a bit.

To keep my laptop cool, I use an aluminum tray that allows air to circulate underneath.  It's perfect for my MacBook Pro, which is designed to dissipate heat through the bottom.  Trays aren't that expensive (I'm sure mine, at $60, was marked up because it goes with Apple products), and you can look for one that seems comfortable.

Message 8 of 25 (1,171 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Whatever out of those things that will run the highest quality. 16GB it is then. I’ve told you what my budget is. Whatever out of those will run all the sims on ultra settings. I don’t plan to run any other games apart from maybe a games series here and there and the Microsoft programs like Word etc. I don’t understand all that jargon. I don’t know if there are any other hardware options I’d prefer.

Message 9 of 25 (1,164 Views)

[ Edited ]

@WallFlower26  It sounds like you have no use for a large solid state drive, or anything else special, beyond good hardware.  The best options I found are all variations on the same theme.  They're all from Asus, which makes great gaming laptops, even at the entry level.  (MSI is an excellent option when its laptops are on sale; otherwise, they're overpriced.)  These all have the same graphics card, an Nvidia 1060 6 GB, which will be able to handle TS4 and all its expansion packs on ultra settings, now and for the entire run of the game.

For reference, this is the version with 8 GB RAM, for £870:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-FX505GM-AL279T-Bezel-Gaming-Laptop/dp/B07MWD86YZ

The same model, except with 16 GB RAM, is £950 on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-FX505GM-AL279T-Bezel-Gaming-Laptop/dp/B07MWLMXCP?th=1

But I found it for £920 (the exact same model, by product number) here:

https://www.box.co.uk/FX505GM-AL280T-ASUS-TUF-FX505GM-AL280T_2440067.html

All of these laptops have 15.6" IPS screens.  (IPS is the highest quality of screen, and Asus makes great monitors too.)  If you wanted a 17.3" screen of the same quality, it would cost more, unsurprisingly: £870 for the version with 8 GB RAM, and £980 for the one with 16 GB.  I should note here that it would be cheaper to buy the 8 GB version and get a second RAM stick to match, but you may not want to do this upgrade yourself.  A computer store would probably do it for you if you bought the RAM there.

https://www.box.co.uk/FX705GM-EW019T-ASUS-TUF-FX705GM-EW019T_2400047.html

https://www.box.co.uk/FX705GM-EW019-ASUS-FX705GM-EW019_2571124.html

I play on a laptop with a 15" screen, and it's enough for me.  If you're not sure, you can go to a store and look at the screens, but I don't think it's a necessary upgrade.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.

Message 10 of 25 (1,153 Views)