Re: New Laptop, No Disc Drive

by Isla496

Original Post

Accepted Solution

New Laptop, No Disc Drive

★★ Novice

Hello! I'm looking at getting a new laptop better suited to gaming, but it has no disc drive. The base TS4 game, as well as some of the packs I own, were originally installed to my Origin account with discs. Will Origin remember everything and simply reinstall it to the new laptop without me needing to put in the discs again? I'm sure it will - I'm just remembering the agony of having to reinstall WoW to a new computer when it had about 70 discs for each expansion!

Message 1 of 6 (493 Views)

Accepted Solution

@Isla496  For £580, you can get a laptop that will run all TS4 packs on the highest settings now, although you may need to dial the graphics back to high as more demanding expansions are released down the road.  For the sake of futureproofing, we generally recommend an Nvidia 1060 6 GB—that's the minimum card that will definitely run TS4 on ultra for the full run of the game.  But the cheapest good laptop I could find with a 1060 costs £850.

Anyway, for a £600 budget, this Asus is the best option.  Its graphics card is an AMD RX 560, which is equal to an Nvidia 1050 ti.  It has a combination 256 GB solid state drive and 1 TB mechanical drive, so Windows will start faster, but you'll have plenty of storage on the slower HDD.  Its processor is decent, not great, but it's more than enough for TS4.  It also has an IPS screen, which is the highest quality.  Asus makes quality gaming laptops, even at the entry level (and great screens as well).

https://www.box.co.uk/FX505DY-AL006T-ASUS-TUF-FX505DY-AL006T_2440061.html

If you don't want to buy from Box, the same model is £600 on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-FX505DY-AL006T-Bezel-Gaming-Laptop/dp/B07MWD7SNN

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 5 of 6 (434 Views)

All Replies
Highlighted

★★ Novice

Also, if anyone has any thoughts on the Acer Nitro 5, that would be appreciated! Standard smile 

Message 2 of 6 (483 Views)

@Isla496  Yes, Origin will retain your account information, so you can download the game rather than installing via disc.

As far as the Acer Nitro 5 goes, you can do better, both on components and manufacturer.  (Acer does make a couple of decent gaming laptops, but the Nitro is not as high quality as you'd want.)  If you post your budget and country, as well as anything else you'd like the computer to do—and please confirm that you want a laptop—I can look for something better.

Message 3 of 6 (463 Views)

★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict Great - thanks! Yes I am looking for a laptop and am in the UK - I'm searching for something no more expensive than the Nitro, which I can get for £600. I don't play any other games anymore, apart from much smaller indie things I find on Steam.
Message 4 of 6 (453 Views)

@Isla496  For £580, you can get a laptop that will run all TS4 packs on the highest settings now, although you may need to dial the graphics back to high as more demanding expansions are released down the road.  For the sake of futureproofing, we generally recommend an Nvidia 1060 6 GB—that's the minimum card that will definitely run TS4 on ultra for the full run of the game.  But the cheapest good laptop I could find with a 1060 costs £850.

Anyway, for a £600 budget, this Asus is the best option.  Its graphics card is an AMD RX 560, which is equal to an Nvidia 1050 ti.  It has a combination 256 GB solid state drive and 1 TB mechanical drive, so Windows will start faster, but you'll have plenty of storage on the slower HDD.  Its processor is decent, not great, but it's more than enough for TS4.  It also has an IPS screen, which is the highest quality.  Asus makes quality gaming laptops, even at the entry level (and great screens as well).

https://www.box.co.uk/FX505DY-AL006T-ASUS-TUF-FX505DY-AL006T_2440061.html

If you don't want to buy from Box, the same model is £600 on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-FX505DY-AL006T-Bezel-Gaming-Laptop/dp/B07MWD7SNN

Message 5 of 6 (435 Views)

★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict Ooh thank you - that looks great Standard smile
Message 6 of 6 (432 Views)