Re: New Computer

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

New Computer

★ Novice

Hello,

I am looking into getting a new computer. I would like it to be able to run The Sims 4 with all expansions, most game packs and some stuff packs at around 60 fps on medium graphics (or higher). I will probably use MC comand centre and a small amount of custom content.

I am probably going to get this one:

https://www.very.co.uk/hp-pavilion-690-0020na-intelreg-coretrade-i5nbspgeforce-gtx-1050-graphics-8gb...

It has:

●8th generation Intel Core i5+ 8400 processor

●Discrite: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (2GB GDDR5 dedicated)

●8 gigs of RAM

Do you think this computer would be able to achieve this and last for a few years?

Many thanks

Message 1 of 8 (796 Views)

@UnbeltedSolid76  If you only want medium graphics, sure, that computer would be fine.  But you can definitely do better for your money.  The processor is more than fine, but the graphics card could barely run TS4 on the highest settings now, and maybe not even that.  Plus, HP's gaming computers aren't of great quality, and then often break down much sooner than they should.

I can look for something better for you, if you want.  Even at £700, there are better options.  Just let me know what else you'd like to do with the computer besides play TS4, like if you need extra storage or want to run any other apps.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 8 (775 Views)

★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict Besides playing The Sims 4 the only other things I'd probably use it for is homework and browsing the internet. Occasionally I may play other games such as Parkitect and Cities: Skylines however, I'm only really bothered about it being able to run The Sims 4 on decent graphics.

I would really appreciate it if you could reccomend another computer for around the same price.

Thank you for your advice.

Message 3 of 8 (747 Views)

@UnbeltedSolid76  I looked at a few different U.K. sites, and for your budget and what you want out of the computer, I think your best bet is a custom build.  I played around with a couple of those sites, and for £698 (including VAT), you can get:

• an AMD Ryzen 2600 processor
  • liquid cooling for the processor, so you don't have to worry about overheating
  • 16 GB RAM
  • an AMD Radeon RX 580 graphics card
  • a 500 GB solid state drive
  • an upgraded power supply

This system will always run TS4 on the highest graphics settings.  In fact, it's a bit more than you need: both the processor and RAM are well over requirements.  But they'll help with multitasking now, and futureproof your computer a bit as well, so you can put off buying the next one.  This system is also upgradable, if and when you want to add something.

If you can spend a bit more money, I'd recommend getting a better motherboard, for £22.  The default one is fine now, but the next higher version would make upgrading the system easier.  You could also add a 1 TB secondary hard drive for £34, but the way you described your plans for this computer, you won't need the extra storage.  Besides, hard drives are cheap and easy to install, so you could add one later if you wanted.

If you have any questions about the specs, or anything else for that matter, please feel free to ask.

Message 4 of 8 (713 Views)

[ Edited ]

Note:  I split some comments into a separate thread, as they seemed to be derailing the discussion.

Message 5 of 8 (616 Views)

★★★★ Guide
I found the intel i5 8500 at a base clock speed of 3.0Ghz with a turbo boost of 4.10Ghz, which should help keep you from running in the turbo frequency all the time.

Edit they split the thread when I was trying to post to this one so I deleted all the posts on the other thread that was mine this one is relevant to this one.

I deleted the other one because it wasn't beneficial to both threads.
Message 6 of 8 (605 Views)

★ Novice
Message 7 of 8 (556 Views)

[ Edited ]

@UnbeltedSolid76  The hardware would absolutely be able to handle TS4, all packs, on ultra settings.  To be honest, I don't know anything about the vendor; as far as I know, ADMI doesn't sell in the U.S.  I'd read reviews first, in particular googling the product name and "cooling" to make sure there are no red flags.  I'm not trying to scare you, just saying that I don't know enough to say it's fine.

Actually, looking at the site itself, this seems like a good company.  I believe this is the same base build as the one you found; the configuration you're looking at (adding Windows 10 and swapping the small solid state drive for a 1 TB HDD)  would actually be a bit cheaper, at £588:

https://www.awd-it.co.uk/awd-z1-intel-i5-9400f-4.1ghz-gtx-1060-6gb-ddr5-vr-gaming-pc.html

The other reason I mention this is that you could upgrade to 16 GB RAM for £35 (including VAT).  I think this would be a great investment, especially if you like to multitask.

If you want me to poke around on that site a bit more and see if there's a better configuration for you, I'm happy to do so.

Message 8 of 8 (550 Views)