Re: New Computer - Launcher Wont even Open

by GreenMoosy

Original Post

Accepted Solution

New Computer - Launcher Wont even Open

★★★ Novice

Hello, I have tried everything I could find that I thought was applicable and so far no luck. That is why I am here today reaching out to all of you to see if you can help or might know of a solution.

I recently got a new laptop. 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12650H with an NVIDIA GTX 3050Ti. Its been great for the sims 4 and overall as a computer until I wanted to play the Sims 3. Here is where the issue starts: the launcher wont open, like I meant hasnt ever launched once. When I first got the laptop and installed the sims 3 i was prompted to install Direct X 3.5 (i think) and I did. It still didnt help. I installed direct X 9 (i think because it asked me for a folder to put it in adn so i just made one in my documents) and that didnt help either. I am aware of 12th generation ship causing an issue but  my understanding is that the game itself wont launch not that the launcher wont launch. I have tried both the LazyDuchess's fix and Mia (i believe) powershell script. neither have worked. I ran a scan on my computer it came back clean. I tried renaming files. I reinstalled the game. I installed origin instead of EA. Ive tried alot. Am I just out o luck or is there something I haven't tried yet? I will attach a dxdiag as soon as I can. Thank you!

Message 1 of 4 (389 Views)

Accepted Solution

@GreenMoosy  You're correct that the Alder Lake issue prevents Sims 3 itself from loading while the launcher opens as normal.  But your dxdiag makes the issue clear: you need to manually install DirectX 9.  I believe from your description that you extracted the DX9 files but didn't actually run the installer.  In case it helps, I wrote out detailed instructions for installing DX9 here:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/SIMS-3-GAME-WON-T-LAUNCH-WINDOWS-10/m-p/10711778#M2478...

The short version is, in the folder you placed in Documents, there should be a DXSETUP.exe.  This is the actual installer that you need to run.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 3 of 4 (348 Views)

All Replies

★★★ Novice

Heres my dxdiag file

Message 2 of 4 (384 Views)

@GreenMoosy  You're correct that the Alder Lake issue prevents Sims 3 itself from loading while the launcher opens as normal.  But your dxdiag makes the issue clear: you need to manually install DirectX 9.  I believe from your description that you extracted the DX9 files but didn't actually run the installer.  In case it helps, I wrote out detailed instructions for installing DX9 here:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/SIMS-3-GAME-WON-T-LAUNCH-WINDOWS-10/m-p/10711778#M2478...

The short version is, in the folder you placed in Documents, there should be a DXSETUP.exe.  This is the actual installer that you need to run.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 3 of 4 (349 Views)

★★★ Novice

Thank you so much! I just ran the installer and it worked. I feel a little silly but thank you for your help. The launcher opened but the game wouldn't so I tried the other things like lazy duchess patch and that seems to have fixed everything. You are the literal best! Thanks again!

Message 4 of 4 (343 Views)