Re: Need Help Getting The Sims 3 to Recognize Ryzen 9

by mw1525

Original Post

Need Help Getting The Sims 3 to Recognize Ryzen 9

★★ Apprentice

Hi.

I am trying to alter the sgr file for the game so it can recognize the graphic information. However, I am not sure how (or where) to change it since the numbers don't go as low as '1636'. I also need for the texture memory to be expanded beyond 32mb. Below is the info for the device. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

GPU: 5 GPU Memory: 1 CPU: 4 RAM: 4 CPU Speed: 3294 Threading: 3
Adjusted CPU: 3992 RAM: 15789 Adjusted RAM: 15277 Cores: 16
=== Machine info ===
OS version: Windows Vista 6.2.9200
OS major ver: 6
OS minor ver: 2
CPU: AuthenticAMD
Brand: AMD Ryzen 9 4900H with Radeon Graphics
Family: 15
Model: 0
Cores: 16
HT: 0
Memory: 15789MB
Free memory: 11579MB

=== Graphics device info ===
Number: 0
Name (driver): AMD Radeon(TM) Graphics
Name (database): AMD Radeon(TM) Graphics [Found: 0, Matched: 0]
Vendor: ATI
Chipset: Vendor: 1002, Device: 1636, Board: 01231002, Chipset: 00f0
Driver: aticfx32.dll, Version: 30.0.13023.4001, GUID: D7B71EE2-5576-11CF-137C-FC135FC2D335
Driver version: 4001
Monitor: \\.\DISPLAY1
Texture memory: 32MB <<OVERRIDE>>
Vertex program: 3.0
Pixel program: 3.0
Hardware TnL: 1

Message 1 of 16 (1,235 Views)

Hey @mw1525,

I've moved your post to a more relevant board than EA General Questions.

----------------

Answers HQ Guardian

do not work for EA

Message 2 of 16 (1,210 Views)

★★ Apprentice
@Phantomlover1717 - Thanks, I forgot to select the option for technical help when I posted.
Message 3 of 16 (1,194 Views)

@mw1525  So this computer doesn't have a dedicated graphics card?  That would surprise me given how powerful the processor is, but I guess it's possible.  The easiest way to check is through the Device Manager: click Windows key-X, open the DM, expand the Display adapters section, and see whether a second graphics card is listed.  In that case, the first step would be to force your computer to use that card when running Sims 3.

If the computer does in fact only have the integrated chip, then here's how to get it recognized:

Open graphicscards.sgr, and right at the top, under the vendor "ATI" line, copy and paste this:

card 0x1636  "AMD Radeon RX Vega 8 Graphics"

Make sure the entry lines up with the ones below it; I believe it's one Tab in from the left.  Save, quit, open graphicsrules.sgr, and crtl-F to search for x18 , which will take you to this line:

elseif (match("${cardName}", "*x18??*") or match("${cardName}", "*x19??*") etc.

Change the bolded x18?? to Vega 8 , but leave everything else intact, including the asterisks.  This will rate your graphics chip as high.  I don't think it should be rated as uber, but if you prefer, just change the last entry immediately above this one instead; the Uber cards are in the first section, and the list decreases from there.

For the texture memory, find these lines right at the top of graphicsrules:

if ($textureMemory == 0)
seti textureMemory 32
setb textureMemorySizeOK false

Change the 32 to 1024 and put a # and a space in front of setb.  Save, quit, launch the game, quit, and check deviceconfig again.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 4 of 16 (1,181 Views)

★★ Apprentice
@puzzlezaddict - Hi! and thank you so much!

No, this machine doesn't have a dedicated graphic card because it's a mini desktop PC. Although, it is possible to add one of the larger "normal" desktop graphic cards to it as an outside source but for what I use it for I don't think that will ever become necessary. It does have 10GBs of graphic memory though.

This is a mini desktop which is very small, a full-size desktop graphic card is huge compared to this thing. I've included a link to the PC so you can check it out for yourself to get a better understanding of what I have. In terms of the graphic card, it works more like the Iris Xe I have on my other PC (which still plays the Sims 3 like a champ, btw).

Thank you so much for your help. Hopefully once everything is changed the Sims should run fine. If not, I'll post back to this thread to share whatever is happening just in case any other Simmer is looking to get a tiny desktop PC they'll at least know "if" and "what" pitfalls there are.

Thank you, again!

Mini PC:
https://store.minisforum.com/collections/amd-%C2%AE-ryzen-%C2%AE/products/hm90?variant=4105329744297...
Message 5 of 16 (1,149 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@mw1525 To add a video card to the computer you need it to have a POCIeX16 slot and I don't see one there in the specs.  You have to get your computer to tell the game EXACTLY what the graphics chip is even though it is part of the cpu package. Once you get the game to "found 1" then you need to tell the game the graphics chip capabilities are. The game asks the computer what the video chip is. What the computer returns is what you need to use in the first .sgr file. This has to be in a format  that exactly matches what the computer says it has. Once the game finds the chip you have to tell the game it capabilities are in the next .sgr file and that has to be in a format the game can understand. I use AMD cpus but none of them have an integrated video chip. If you look at the other entries you can see things like ? is like a wild card. You have all the data you need - you just have to format it correctly.   hth

Message 6 of 16 (1,127 Views)

@mw1525  I would love to hear how Sims 3 runs on this system.  As you said, its graphics capabilities are very similar to what your laptop has, and the info you provided a year ago was very helpful.  Among other things, I linked your thread to someone who was looking at similar systems and was on a budget, and they've since bought a laptop with the same graphics chip.  They're quite happy with the outcome.  So it would be great to another reference from someone who knows Sims 3 as well as you do.

And you're right, your only option for a dedicated card here would be an external one, plugged into the fastest USB port.  But that's not a great option for a couple of reasons.  The ifrst is price: the external enclosure the card would need can cost around $250.  The second is that eGPUs perform significantly worse than their internal counterparts, so you'd need a faster card than Sims 3 requires otherwise.

Anyway, let me know if you have more questions, and I'm looking forward to whatever info you have to share.

Message 7 of 16 (1,118 Views)

★★ Apprentice
@roberta591 - There are other ways to connect a full-size graphic card to this machine other than through a POCIeX16 slot. There are a variety of "how-to" videos on YouTube to show how to do this. For me, it would be totally an unnecessary thing to do for what I purchased this PC for. Still, this is good information to know for those looking to upgrade this or one of the other models of mini-desktop machines.

@puzzlezaddict - Ask and Ye Shall Receive Standard smile!

Okay, all kinds of technical fun in this install! Good news is the card was found and matched. Bad news is the game doesn't know what to do with the world.

Issues:
1- On the option menu, the slider for how many detailed lots to show is missing.

2- Seasons is set to day length of 0

3- Pets have autonomy turned off

4- No supernaturals are selected (maybe it just starts that way?)

In-Game:
1- Map loads and fly over happens but the trees are rendered in 2D.

2- Choose your household pops up and accepts a selection.

And that's where the game stops. It cannot zoom into the map. It cannot focus on selected Sim. It just hangs. However, the hot air balloon still animates as I watched it float for ten minutes across the sky while waiting to see if the initial load was just being super slow.

SIDE NOTE: All EPs and SPs installed except Generations

=======

DIFFERENCES IN DEVICE CONFIGURATION FILE:

I am going to use the device config of my Iris Xe PC which runs the game to show the differences on the Ryzen device config as there are lines missing. This is how the configuration document reads after four (x4) restarts of the game on AMD.

IRIS XE: (TS3 Works Flawlessly)
Name (driver): Intel(R) Iris(R) Xe Graphics
Name (database): Intel(R) Iris(R) Xe Graphics [Found: 1, Matched: 1]
Vendor: Intel
Chipset: Vendor: 8086, Device: 9a49, Board: 0a251028, Chipset: 0001
Driver: igdumdim32.dll, Version: 30.0.101.1338, GUID: D7B78E66-D909-11CF-A276-402AAEC2D335
Driver version: 1338
Texture memory: 1024MB <<OVERRIDE>>

AMD Compare: (Good Lord Help Us All)
Name (driver): AMD Radeon(TM) Graphics
Name (database): Radeon RX Vega 8 Graphics [Found: 1, Matched: 1]
Vendor: ATI
Chipset: Vendor: 1002, Device: 1636, Board: 01231002, Chipset: 00f0
Driver: aticfx32.dll, Version: 30.0.13023.4001, GUID: D7B71EE2-5576-11CF-137C-FC135FC2D335
Driver version: 4001
Texture memory: 1024MB

***NOTE: - No <<OVERRIDE>> on texture memory line

Under the ===Options=== section, there are several missing option lines. I am only going to list the options which appear on Iris Xe but not (or changed) on AMD:

GeneralReflections 2 (Xe)
Reflections 1 (AMD)

TerrainQuality 2 (Xe)
*No line (AMD)

NumMaxActiveLotOptions 6 (Xe)
*No line (AMD)

EdgeScrollingWarning 0
SupressOpportunityDialogs 0
SuppressOpportunityDialogsWarningProducts 2092863 (Xe)
*No lines (AMD)

DisableAutonomyForSelectedSim 0
PetAutonomyLevel 2 (Xe)
*No lines (AMD)

EnableTombResets 1
EnableInGameStore 0
EnableTelemetry 0
EnableMemories 3
AgingStageLengthBaby 7
AgingStageLengthToddler 31
AgingStageLengthChild 150
AgingStageLengthTeen 200
AgingStageLengthYoungAdult 300
AgingStageLengthAdult 450
AgingStageLengthElder 303
EnableInteractiveLoading 0
AgingStageLengthPuppy 75
AgingStageLengthDogAdult 268
AgingStageLengthDogElder 150
AgingStageLengthKitten 75
AgingStageLengthCatAdult 300
AgingStageLengthCatElder 182
AgingStageLengthFoal 50
AgingStageLengthHorseAdult 375
AgingStageLengthHorseElder 182
LunarCycleLength 4
LunarPhaseLength 4
EnableLunarCycle 1
EnableLunarPhase 0
EnableStoryProgression 1
EnableVampires 0
EnableWerewolves 0
EnablePets 0
EnableCelebrities 0
EnableFairies 0
EnableWitches 0
EnableHorses 0
EnableOptOutCeleb 1
ReceiveConnectTNS 0
ReceivedDevGift 0
PostFilterFlags 0
RequireLoginBeforeLoad 1
SummerLength 7
FallLength 7
WinterLength 7
SpringLength 7
SummerEnabled 1
FallEnabled 1
WinterEnabled 1
SpringEnabled 1
IsCelcius 0
FogEnabled 1
RainEnabled 1
SnowEnabled 1
HailEnabled 1 (Xe)
*No lines (AMD)

--->Option on AMD not on Xe "ResourceCacheBudget 0"

**Could altering the setb line have caused this? Or what do you think is happening?

As always, thanks for taking a look at this.
Message 8 of 16 (1,106 Views)

@mw1525  The # and space in front of setb is code-speak for "ignore this line."  In this case, that section of graphicscards.sgr says, by default:

If you [game] don't detect any video memory

set the texture memory to 32 MB

set texture memory detected to false [the result is the OVERRIDE]

The edits make the second line say 1024 MB and void the third line enirely.  So I can't think of any way that the edits you made to this section would have the effect you're describing.

What might help is instead running the GPU Add-on Support tool from NexusMods.  You'd need a (free) account to download it, and it would make several changes to graphicsrules, not just the ones you did.  I've heard from other players with AMD cards, mostly dedicated cards and definitely not your model of iGPU, that this works better than the usual edits, although most of them have been complaining about missing shadows and other details rather than an inability to zoom in.

The tool gets updated all the time, apparently, and I haven't kept up, so I don't know what current changes there are aside from adding more cards to the files.  But one or another of those edits may fix your issue as well.

The other thing you could try is copying the options.ini from your laptop to this machine.  You'd need to replace the lastdevice line from the old file with the line from the new one—this lists the graphics driver, and when it doesn't match what the game detects, the entire options.ini gets reset.  But everything else should work, and maybe that would restore the missing in-game options.

Message 9 of 16 (1,099 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

@mw1525 My miss print - a standard video card whether half height or regular requires a PCIe slot. Preferably a PCIe X16 slot to take full advantage of the video card. Your computer does not have a PCIe slot. Any other way of connecting a off the shelf video card to that machine is uncharted territory of unsupported hardware modifications NOT supported by the manufacturer. In the good old days this was not uncommon as as schematics were usually provided (or obtainable) from the manufacturer., I liked the one I saw that used the M.2 slot but that would require converting the M.2 slot to PCIe and an external power supply for the video card  and running the computer without the cover unmodified. IMO the manufacturer would not support this mod for various reasons. I have a Dell 660s (SFF) which DOES have a PCIe slot  and works just fine with a half height video card that doesn't exceed the 220W power supply. I use it for a media client - not gaming. Your situation is quite different. My old gaming machine has a AMD FX6100 cpu that does not have an integrated video chip and my new one in progress has a AMD 5600X cpu which does not have an integrated video chip. Your computer can not have an off the shelf video card because the manufacturer did not engineer a proper interface. What this means you are expected to use the integrated video chip in the AMD processor. At the time of the release of Sins 3 I believe AMD did not have a cpu with integrated graphics  and they acquired ATI some time later. I would be very interested in the AMD Ryzen 9 4900H processor temperature after playing some 3D graphical games for a while.

Message 10 of 16 (1,080 Views)