My sims4 game won't start.

by digitalchet

Original Post

Accepted Solution

My sims4 game won't start.

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Apparently, from what I've been reading this is a common issue.  First week installed, the game ran fine; no issues at all in game,  or during startup between gaming sessions.  No gaming for a week or so, then this week, I cannot get this game to start at all.  Tried reinstalling the game but no luck.  What gives?  The game ran fine, then a couple of updates and it's nuked.  Where was the QA department on this one?

Description
Faulting Application Path: D:\Games\The Sims 4\The Sims 4\Game\Bin\TS4.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: TS4.exe
Application Version: 1.3.18.1010
Application Timestamp: 548b7c45
Fault Module Name: KERNELBASE.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.3.9600.17278
Fault Module Timestamp: 53eeb460
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00014e5d
OS Version: 6.3.9600.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 2057
Additional Information 1: 5861
Additional Information 2: 5861822e1919d7c014bbb064c64908b2
Additional Information 3: 84a0
Additional Information 4: 84a09ea102a12ee665c500221db8c9d6

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: e4f20d8f5d076bd2449561a82795736b (73736440727)

System Information

Spoiler

Time of this report: 12/23/2014, 21:50:31
Machine name: DAEDALUS
Operating System: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit (6.3, Build 9600) (9600.winblue_r3.140827-1500)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: Z68X-UD3H-B3
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.7GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8110MB RAM
Page File: 8067MB used, 9257MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.03.9600.16384 64bit Unicode

Display Devices

Spoiler
Card name: AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series
Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Chip type: AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x6798)
DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Device Type: Full Device
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6798&SUBSYS_22611458&REV_00
Display Memory: 6891 MB
Dedicated Memory: 3051 MB
Shared Memory: 3840 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1200 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: Dell E248WFP(Digital)
Monitor Model: DELL E248WFP
Monitor Id: DELA02E
Native Mode: 1920 x 1200(p) (59.950Hz)
Output Type: DVI

Message 1 of 12 (2,117 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: My sims4 game won't start.

Hero

No. It's one of the standard suggestions (do I not have that on the list ??). Should not be a problem.

They did correct some issue with the ActivationUI.exe a few patches back so I'm glad to hear that it's not that for you.

I hope that fix continues to work for you.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

View in thread

Message 11 of 12 (733 Views)

All Replies

Hero

Did you try this: http://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2014/09/resetting-the-game-to-factory-settings-without-reinstalling/

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 12 (2,093 Views)

★★★ Novice

Yup.  No luck there either, unfortunately.  Followed the steps as stated but nothing.

Message 3 of 12 (2,087 Views)

Hero

Did you try everything listed in the FAQ

Game doesn't start

The game never worked

The game suddenly doesn't start anymore

On top of the things above you can also try this

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 4 of 12 (2,085 Views)

★★★ Novice

Ok, i've gone through and tried everything on that list and still the game will not launch.  Even went as far as uninstalling it and reinstalling on the C:\ drive, which is ludicrous.

I just find it incredible how the game functioned without issue one day, then simply stopped working without a hint of a reason as to why,  and yet have Origin and its associated games function normally.  I'm now convinced it is solely an issue with the game itself and am so deeply disappointed and yet a little unsurprised, it always seems to be something with EA games.

Any other suggestions?

Message 5 of 12 (2,010 Views)

Hero

Do you have any lastcrash.txt files in documents\electronicarts\thesims4\ ? If so, could you zip them up and upload to mediafire or dropbox and put the link here.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 6 of 12 (1,979 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

As of the latest version which I just applied and tested, the game starts up with a white screen but crashes immediately with a "The Sims 4 has stopped working" dialog.  This shows some progress, as before there was not even the hint of the application starting at all, save for the change in opacity for the Play button in Origin.  Baby steps, I guess.

LastCrash.txt available here.

Message 7 of 12 (1,950 Views)

★★★ Novice

Still unable to get the game to run.  Does that crash log provide any answers?

Message 8 of 12 (1,929 Views)

Hero

I can't read them myself and usually forward them so EA can look at them and find out what needs changing.

Since you have the KERNELBASE.dll showing as faulty module though, I wonder if it's some kind of conflict but you did try a clean boot and that didn't help, right ?

Did you try googling for KERNELBASE.dll ?

Another thing I meant to ask, can you check what process get started ? Do you see ActivationUI.exe as well ? Did you try the process monitor ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 9 of 12 (1,924 Views)

★★★ Novice

Right, I wrongly assumed you possessed the tools to decipher the file.  I stand corrected. Wink

Yes, I tried the clean boot but had no luck either. Tried googling for KERNELBASE.dll, and although it can become corrupted, the System File Checker tool found no issues with any system files, and I'm not about to go downloading another kernelbase replacement from the various DLL sites.  The other recourse here would be to try a Windows system file repair tool to completely replace them with their original/authorized versions.

ActivationUI.exe does seem to run without issue now, but it definitely seems to crash on TS4.exe and the event log clearly reflects that fact.  However, this was not the case when this first started; it definitely crashed on ActivationUI.exe until one of the recent TS4 updates.

But, here's something interesting!

Out of anything better to try (and not sure why I didn't try this earlier), I decided to attempt running the game in Compatibility Mode for Windows 7.  Lo and behold, it seems to work without issue!  Although I don't exactly accept this the ultimate answer, as it is a workaround, it does mean the game is functional and able to be played.

I suspect this process is using a kernelbase.dll from the older Windows 7 version to run the game, but are there any major drawbacks to playing in Windows 7 compat. mode that you may know of?

Message 10 of 12 (1,902 Views)