Re: My sims game won’t open.

by kdollasignnnn

Original Post

Accepted Solution

My sims game won’t open.

★★ Apprentice

So I was trying to transfer my mods folder onto another drive, then my cc wasn’t loading anymore, so I deleted the game & downloaded it back but I downloaded it onto the drive that I wanted my mods folder on. Now that everything is installed, my game refuses to open. I press play and origin minimizes then immediately pops back up, as if Origin didn’t even try to open the game. Please help me ASAP....

Message 1 of 14 (732 Views)

Accepted Solution

@kdollasignnnn  I'm not totally sure whether having the Sims 4 program files in D:\Documents will cause problems, but it could.  It's a good idea to start by moving the game to a different folder.  You (probably) don't need to redownload though.  Create a new folder on D, e.g. My Games, open your Origin game library, right-click on the Sims 4 icon, select Move Game, and choose the new folder you made as the destination.  Repair when you're done.

Potentially much more seriously, your dxdiag lists a number of BlueScreens.  It's not clear whether they're related to your inability to play, or even what's causing them, but I'd like to take a look regardless.  Open a File Explorer window and enter C:\Windows\Minidump in the address bar.  For any recent dump files, right-click and Copy, then right-click on your desktop and Paste.  If there are multiple files, zip them together, then upload the file or files to a third-party filehosting site and link them here.

By the way, it's late where I am, and dump files usually take some concentration to read, so I'll need to wait to look at them until morning.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 8 of 14 (599 Views)

All Replies

Hero
@kdollasignnnn What security software are you using ? Sophos ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 14 (718 Views)

★★ Apprentice

I’m not sure what you mean by security software but if it’s what i’m thinking then I believe i’m using Windows Defender.

Message 3 of 14 (704 Views)

★★ Apprentice

@crinrict I confirmed it, it’s Windows Defender. I haven’t installed any other one.

Message 4 of 14 (653 Views)

★★ Apprentice

It’s been four days & nobody still has replied back or helped me with my problem...

Message 5 of 14 (627 Views)

@kdollasignnnn  Sorry about the delay.  People sometimes get busy and don't get a chance to follow up.

Please run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

Please also let me know the file path to the Sims 4 program files, as in, the files that Origin installed.  If you're not sure what you're looking at, take a screenshot of the contents of any folder called "The Sims 4" and attach it to a post.  Be sure to include the address bar, above the list of files and folders, in the screenshot.

Message 6 of 14 (612 Views)

★★ Apprentice

I'm not sure if this is what you asked for but here's the address to the two sims 4 folders I have: D:\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4 (Where my mods folder and other game contents are), D:\Documents\The Sims 4 (Where my expansion pack data is). I also attached the DXDIAG file you asked about.

Message 7 of 14 (604 Views)

@kdollasignnnn  I'm not totally sure whether having the Sims 4 program files in D:\Documents will cause problems, but it could.  It's a good idea to start by moving the game to a different folder.  You (probably) don't need to redownload though.  Create a new folder on D, e.g. My Games, open your Origin game library, right-click on the Sims 4 icon, select Move Game, and choose the new folder you made as the destination.  Repair when you're done.

Potentially much more seriously, your dxdiag lists a number of BlueScreens.  It's not clear whether they're related to your inability to play, or even what's causing them, but I'd like to take a look regardless.  Open a File Explorer window and enter C:\Windows\Minidump in the address bar.  For any recent dump files, right-click and Copy, then right-click on your desktop and Paste.  If there are multiple files, zip them together, then upload the file or files to a third-party filehosting site and link them here.

By the way, it's late where I am, and dump files usually take some concentration to read, so I'll need to wait to look at them until morning.

Message 8 of 14 (600 Views)

★★ Apprentice

@puzzlezaddict Thank you so much that worked! It took a while to repair it with origin crashing every now & then but overall it took about a hour.. I still have the problem of my sims getting stuck doing certain tasks.. I made a post about it but I don’t think anyone’s responded to it yet.

Message 9 of 14 (560 Views)

[ Edited ]

@kdollasignnnn  I just looked up your other post, and I'm not surprised that your sims stand around doing nothing a lot.  That's often a sign of either the game engine being overwhelmed or the computer's processor not being able to keep up with the demands placed on it.  Given that you have a relatively weak processor even for Sims 4, I would suspect the latter, although it's possible you're seeing both causes at the same time.

There are two main steps you can take to try to help your processor.  One is to not run anything else while you're playing.  Put Origin in offline mode as well unless you plan on using the Gallery during that session; Origin sometimes takes up extra CPU resources for no reason at all.  The other step is to make sure your laptop can cool itself properly: elevate it to allow air to circulate underneath, or use a laptop tray, a cooling pad, or a fan.

Message 10 of 14 (544 Views)