My sims game takes an hour to load. Please help

by JustBrandyB

Original Post

Accepted Solution

My sims game takes an hour to load. Please help

★★ Novice

It takes over an hour to load no mods but yes cc my dell is compatible for the game. What do I do? I deleted some cache files earlier please help. With a walk through. 

Message 1 of 14 (841 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: My sims game takes an hour to load. Please help

[ Edited ]

@JustBrandyB  The issue is not how many saves you have, but I'd still suggest storing a copy of this folder elsewhere, either on an external drive or USB stick or in a free cloud storage account (Google Drive, Dropbox, etc.).  The idea is that if anything ever happens to your saves, you have a backup.  You can zip the folder to make it smaller, and you can delete older backups as you find you won't need them.

The problem itself is that you copied over a backup version of a save.  The save files with .verx extensions are backups of the save files with the same number: the game saves the data from the last five times you saved before the most recent one.  The file with .ver0 is the newest backup, and the .ver4 is the oldest.  But the game won't load a save with a .verx extension.

You can copy over Slot_0000001f.save , as in, the top file instead, and you should see your most recent save in its most recent form.  Or you can delete the .ver0 from the file you copied over, and the game should read it.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 12 of 14 (1,128 Views)

All Replies

@JustBrandyB  Please test in a clean user folder.  Open Documents > Electronic Arts and move the Sims 4 folder to the desktop, and the game will create a new folder with no content the next time it loads.  (Your saves and other content will be intact in the folder you've moved but temporarily not read by the game.)  Don't add anything to this folder yet; just start a new save, or rather try to, and let me know how long it takes to load.

If you get an error when trying to move the Sims 4 folder, please post a screenshot of it.  (Use Windows key-shift-S to capture it, then click the notification in the lower-right corner of your screen to open the image.)  If the folder copies rather than moving, let me know.

Please also run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

Message 2 of 14 (814 Views)

★★ Novice

First thank you, and the folder moved to the desktop, do I open from origin? 

Message 3 of 14 (807 Views)

@JustBrandyB  Yes, launch the game like you normally would.

Message 4 of 14 (798 Views)

★★ Novice

It took 7 minutes to load. Created new sim saved   And the load to world took 8 minutes. which is all  a breeze compared to the over an hour before. 

Message 5 of 14 (787 Views)

@JustBrandyB  Okay, so the question is what in your old Sims 4 folder is causing the long loading times.  Try copying over your most recent save, but absolutely nothing else.  Since you're copying and pasting rather than dragging and dropping, you don't need to worry about missing mods or cc—the original file will remain intact while you experiment on the new copy.

If you do use mods or custom content, please open the old Sims 4 folder, right-click on the Mods folder, select Properties, and tell me how large the folder is.

Message 6 of 14 (778 Views)

★★ Novice

And the folder moved. And works just fine. Sooo excited about this now what do we do? To return to my families. Also there is something in my mods folders names resources. 

Message 7 of 14 (775 Views)

@JustBrandyB  Please see above.  The resource.cfg is supposed to be in the Mods folder; the game places it there.

Message 8 of 14 (771 Views)

★★ Novice

The mods folder size is 169 bytes and content folder is 2.73 kb also i believe I may have done something wrong. I clicked saves from old folder copied and pasted most recent one to new folder saves and when I opened the game (which loaded fast again) my packs, kits, etc. gave me the welcome scree( like when you purchase i new expansion. But their were no sims to load. So where are they located in old folder? Sorry. And thank you!

Message 9 of 14 (755 Views)

@JustBrandyB  Please post a screenshot of the contents of the old saves folder, the one that has all your previous saves in it.  And let me know which save you moved to the current folder.

The welcome screen for new packs is normal.  The file that suppresses this feature is within the Sims 4 folder you moved.

Message 10 of 14 (748 Views)