My sims 4 can download but it doesn't want to update

by vaagillmer

Original Post

My sims 4 can download but it doesn't want to update

★★ Novice
Ok this is not new! My internet is not fast I only get 3gig of data thats fast but it doesn't last. Now I'm trying to update my sims and it downloads until its 600mb and then it starts to stops and it said the download was interrupted and when i start it again it takes a 100 to 200mb of data and download again. That happens alot. When it comes to 900 to a gig ot starts to say an error has occurred and then i just start the download and a few minutes after it gives an error again. It doesnt want to complete. And now when origin wants to update it does the same. What must I do.
Message 1 of 7 (547 Views)

Re: My sims 4 can download but it doesn't want to update

★★★ Expert

Like many on metered connections, myself included, when you use up all of your Priority data, your speed is slowed, often to slower than dial up speeds. Many websites and download will time out when that happens. The web and, that includes EA servers, are simply designed for high speed internet and, reject connections that are too slow, especially for larger downloads.

It isn't EA or the game, it's your ISP and, you have a few options, depending on your provider and, if you have a laptop or desktop computer.

1. If Laptop, take it to a free WiFi spot like McDonalds (just need to buy a drink there) or a rest area along the freeway, if your state offers free WifI in rest areas.

2. Buy more data per GB form your ISP, that is usually about 10 USD per GB or any part there of.

3. Change your plan to one that offers more priority data.

4. Change providers to one that offers more high speed data.

5. Wait until your billing date, use your 3GB to download updates for the game and, deal with everything else being slow or not working for the rest of the month.

I know metered internet service is a hassle and, data usage management a major pain in the rear, especially when you game, and have to keep those games updated to play. There are tools as well as setting you can use or change to help reduce data usage. I would be happy to help you with that if you send me a private message here. (That's so I get an email and know you want data management help and, because this forum is for game help, not data usage help.)

Message 2 of 7 (542 Views)

★★ Novice

No this is not the solution. If it downloads ok like stuff packs why is it not updating the same way. If you give me the money to buy data you then that's fine. But no my data plan is 100% Then EA must change their server settings so that everyone can use it. And if it is the situation why is it only when I update and not downloading? I don't like extra stuff on my pc... Im not keen. If you can answer this I will email you back. I don't want to fight this is not my attention. Just want an answer and I will not buy more data witch I think its unfair for people having slow data not to have excess to updates. I never had problems with updates but with origin always. They can also think of people like me. Even an update file would be ok.! Can EA not send me an file to download?

Message 3 of 7 (519 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Expert

I'm sorry there isn't a better answer. I have metered service that gets slowed as well, if I go over my data allowance for the month and, if that happens, many sites time out and downloads fail. That's just how it is. We can't ask the whole internet to be redesigned just because we choose to live where cable internet is not available. We do the best we can with what we can get.

Yes metered service is costly, I pay nearly 200 USD per month for 50GB of high speed data and, that barely lasts my family for the month, sometimes we go over and have to buy more. I don't like it either but, that's the way it is here and, nothing is going to change here in my lifetime. The options I gave you are the only things you can do unless you have cable internet available where you live and can change to them for a provider. The whole web today is geared for high speed, unlimited usage connections and the few of us that can't get that just have to make do with what we can get.

Message 4 of 7 (510 Views)

★★ Novice

I don't have cable internet but in the SA its not the same. Remember just one thing and this is a good lesson to be learned. In South Africa not everyone have fast internet connection even if they don't have cap cost.. The area where they live can make it imposable to get fast internet. Its not like in the US where everything is up to date. Believe me when I say that. Even the hotspots is slow... So its what we can afford. Remember also that EA must consider to change because not everyone have the privileges to have fast internet. Sorry but that's how everyone feels. If Samsung and every phone model can make it EA as well. Tell me one thing... Why can I download but not update? You can argue with me everyday on this but ja you have no idea how its like to have something but really have nothing...

Message 5 of 7 (502 Views)

[ Edited ]

@vaagillmer I'm sorry to hear you have this problem. The internet is Africa is horrible I know, but it's not EA's fault it's mainly the country you are located. 

There are just a few cables going from under the sea to South Africa, it's more the policy in the country, that's not something EA can control.

Did you get the CD or the online download?

151104-submarine-cables-internet-world-map.pngOn this picture you see the under sea cables for internet going to south Africa, if you compare that with the Europe, Asia or America you can see the difference.

Picture source: https://agenda.weforum.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/151104-submarine-cables-internet-world-map.png

----------------

Answers HQ Guardian

do not work for EA

Message 6 of 7 (495 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

I do understand what you are saying but in SA not all spots in this country have 3G or 4G. I do have fast internet only 3GIg a month. Then I don't have a problem but for the rest of the month I do have slow internet because I have that kind of contract. Its not so slow but not comparing to EA's standers of fast internet... Its not the loop of cables that's the problem its just my side. But the real problem is I cannot update in the middle of the month so then I have to wait and will you wait that long to play your game. And the next thing is why can I download on slow connection but not update on slow connection? I am trying to sort this out with EA but I cannot get to the correct people. So its not a cable problem its just frustrating not to have that. And No I will not change my contract just for EA they must compromise also to keep all customers happy not just for those who can afford it!! If you don't like my comment just ignore it.. Its between me and EA. Thanks for the help but its not what the problem is....

Message 7 of 7 (450 Views)