My sims 3 game is choppy and slow on my macbook pro

by marissasmith1693

Original Post

My sims 3 game is choppy and slow on my macbook pro

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

I have had my macbook pro for 5 years and it is a Mac OS X version 10.6.8 and has a 2.4 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Processor with 4 GB of memory with 

NVIDIA GeForce 320M for graphics and I used to play sims on it since I got it and it never had any problems with being glitchy, slow, or choppy. Out of the blue about 2 1/2 years ago, it started to become very choppy and slow to the point where I could not even play it. During loading the music is choppy and is extremely slow to start up and once it does load, the cursor is choppy and when I click on something, it takes some time before it goes through. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling sims 3 and my expansion packs and deleting everything on them and it still is choppy and slow when I reinstall and start back up. I do not know what the problem is and have tried to figure it out but cannot. 

If anyone can help me that would be great I haven't been able to play this game in years and spent a lot of money on them and would like to figure out the problem!! 

Message 1 of 2 (259 Views)

Re: My sims 3 game is choppy and slow on my macbook pro

Hi @marissasmith1693,

- The first step to trying to figure out how to get your game working again is to try a new game, without any CC, mods, saves etc. This will help figure out if your install is dodgy or you have corrupted data. Doing this is simple, open your Documents folder then open the Electronic Arts folder. You will see one folder in there called The Sims 3. Drag this to the desktop. DO NOT DELETE IT. This folder holds all your game data like downloaded content, saves and everything precious to your game.
- Now, fire up your game (it regenerates the folder you just moved) and see if you can play with a new Sim in a new world. Make sure you open CAS and make sure you try out Build/Buy mode. Try playing for at least an hour or so. If that works then the installed game and EPs/SPs is fairly stable so the issue lies somewhere within the folder you moved out. The difficult part is figuring out where the problem is within the data.
- To put your game back to how it was (not working presumably if you had to just do that step!), navigate through to the Electronic Arts folder again and trash the Sims 3 folder the game just recreated. Put your old folder, the one you moved to the desktop, back in it's place.

Tell me if the game works right with that folder on the desktop Standard smile

========
XP = "Thank you!" / "¡Gracias!"
"Accept as solution" = "This solved my problem!" / "¡Esto ha solucionado el problema!"
Please note I don't work for EA, I'm just a player like you, trying to help other players. / Ten en cuenta que no trabajo para EA, solo soy un jugador tratando de ayudar a otros jugadores.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

No trabajo para EA, solo soy un jugador tratando de ayudar a otros jugadores. No respondo mensajes privados, Permite que otros puedan beneficiarse de la información.

I don't work for EA, I'm just a player like you, trying to help other players. I do not reply private messages.

Message 2 of 2 (247 Views)