Re: My game won't open

by gemjasmine

Original Post

Accepted Solution

My game won't open

★ Apprentice

I guess this might be a unique issue since I can't find a solution anywhere, but I recently got a new computer and now I can't play the game. I used OneDrive to transfer my mods and saves to my new computer and tried to start up the game, but it won't come up. The "play" button on Origin is grayed out like the game is open, but it's not anywhere I can see. I have to go into Task Manager and find the game somewhere in the background and force it to close. 

I tried taking my mods and saves out and the game starts fine. I tried putting my saves in and the game starts, but it doesn't recognize my saves. When I press play, it's as if I'm a new player and my saves are nowhere to be found.

The game works fine on my original computer. So, there's nothing wrong with the mods or my saves at all. For some reason, though, I can't get them to work on this new computer.

Message 1 of 10 (1,138 Views)

Accepted Solution

★ Apprentice

I figured out what was wrong. When I moved my files from OneDrive, I didn't know that the files were "online only." I thought that I just had to move the files from OneDrive into My Documents and then that would be it. Turns out, when I disabled OneDrive, I also disabled those files, so even though I saw the files, they weren't really there.

Once I enabled OneDrive again, it worked. So, I researched online how to properly download the files so that they weren't linked to OneDrive and did that (right click the file/folder and select "always keep on this device"). Then, I disabled OneDrive again and now it works.

View in thread

Message 10 of 10 (1,030 Views)

All Replies

Hero (Retired)
@gemjasmine

Probably at this moment, you have two saves folders in the game folder. The new one created by the game and the old one you have pasted.
The game will use only one, so you need to delete this new one.
As for mods, some must be outdated and spoil the game. A few days ago there was a game update and some mods are broken again.
- Move the mods folder to the desktop.
Delete localthumbcache.package file in the game folder. Delete also all folders with the word "cache" in the name.
Fix the game in Origin.
Origin/Library -right-click on TS4 - option "Repair game"
You have to wait until Origin will fix all packs, not only the base game.
Turn on the game to create a new, empty mods folder. Check if a game is working now properly
If it is fixed, copy from desktop your mods and CC and paste it in the new mods folder. First, paste script mods every time checking if the game is working properly. Do the same with CC but if you have a lot of this, try the 50/50 method ( divide your CC into smaller batches for example 50 pieces in one subfolder and check these subfolders one by one)

I don't work for EA
Message 2 of 10 (1,122 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

I don't have two save folders. I deleted the one that came automatically already. And there is nothing wrong with my mods. They work perfectly fine on my fully updated game on my other computer. And I already tried the "repair game" option. Didn't work.

Message 3 of 10 (1,120 Views)

Hero (Retired)
@gemjasmine

Start a new game without mods to test and save it.
Check if you will have the option to load this new save.
Message 4 of 10 (1,108 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

I already did that. Didn't change anything. I do have the option to load up new saves, though. Just not the ones from my other computer.

Message 5 of 10 (1,106 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

@gemjasmine

Are you able to open this new save? If not it means that the computer moved it to OneDrive.

Edit : 

Have a look here

https://sims4.crinrict.com/eng/2014/09/save-games-disappearing/

How to protect folders from moving to OneDrive

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Files-save-to-OneDrive-by-default-in-Windows-10-33da0077-77...

Message 6 of 10 (1,101 Views)

★ Apprentice

I'm able to open the new save. And OneDrive is unlinked from this new computer. I disabled it after moving the files, so nothing is on OneDrive.

Message 7 of 10 (1,099 Views)

Hero (Retired)
@gemjasmine

Unfortunately, this means that your old saves folder and mods folder broke while moving it to the new computer. You can download the mods again, but this does not apply to old saves.
I see no way to change that.
Message 8 of 10 (1,083 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@gemjasmine Could you post a picture of your saves folder how it looks on your new computer (including path showing)

Do you still have them on your old computer ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 9 of 10 (1,042 Views)

★ Apprentice

I figured out what was wrong. When I moved my files from OneDrive, I didn't know that the files were "online only." I thought that I just had to move the files from OneDrive into My Documents and then that would be it. Turns out, when I disabled OneDrive, I also disabled those files, so even though I saw the files, they weren't really there.

Once I enabled OneDrive again, it worked. So, I researched online how to properly download the files so that they weren't linked to OneDrive and did that (right click the file/folder and select "always keep on this device"). Then, I disabled OneDrive again and now it works.

Message 10 of 10 (1,031 Views)