My game won't open when I try to install any kind of mods. Please help, dying.

by MunchieMoonx

Original Post

My game won't open when I try to install any kind of mods. Please help, dying.

★ Novice

I recently I got a new HP monitor (PC) and the game has been running perfectly. However I recently tried to install mods/cc. I am not new to installing mods, I did it constantly on my old laptop and I never had any trouble. I moved my mods into the mods folder, I enabled mods in the game, I'm  pretty certain I did everything right. But whenever I open the game after installing mods I get this message:

image.png

So it's basically telling me to remove my mods. Why is that? I have even moved all the mods/cc I am wanting to use to my old laptop, and the game runs just fine. I have mods enabled in the game and I am positive I'm putting them into the right folder.

I don't understand what the issue is. I have already tried:

-Deleting and reinstalling the game twice

-Repairing the game via origin twice

-Doing the 50/50 method

-Putting in one SINGLE piece of cc into the mods folder and nothing else, and still having the same problem (I have done this with all different kinds of cc and none of it is working) 

It doesn't seem to make a difference if the cc is in date and compatible, it just isn't running with my game at all.The game won't even open. All my cc is compatible and I know this because I tested it with my old laptop (which I mentioned earlier) which is running Windows 10 and the same version of the Sims, just like my new monitor is. I don't see any reason for it not working. I am getting desperate at this point, is there some things I should try that I haven't done yet? I have not done anything differently to what I have done in the past so I really don't understand what's happening. Disappointed Broken heart

Thank you for reading <3

Message 1 of 6 (1,629 Views)

Re: My game won't open when I try to install any kind of mods. Please help, dyin

★★ Pro

@MunchieMoonx 

With uninstalling/reinstalling the mods and custom content, did you delete the localthumbcache.package file out of the Sims 4 folder each time you tested the mods/cc?

Deleting the cache files will remove all traces of mods and custom content that were tied to your game. The cache files will regenerate, but does need to be deleted specially when testing mods and custom content.

Message 2 of 6 (1,604 Views)

Re: My game won't open when I try to install any kind of mods. Please help, dyin

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

@172e3cda00349872 

Hi Heart! Thanks so much for responding, no, I didn't delete the cache file. (I also tried deleting it and it didn't help) Still having the same issue Frown

Message 3 of 6 (1,579 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

@MunchieMoonx 

After the latest patches half of scripts mods an a lot of CC are broken. You have to find this broken and delete or replace it. 

Move the mods folder to the desktop.

Delete localthumbcache.package file in the game folder - important!

Fix the game in Origin.
Origin/Library -right click on TS4 - option "Repair game"
You have to wait until Origin will fix all packs, not only the base game.

Turn on the game to create a new, empty mods folder and new localthumbcache.package file without saved errors.

Check if a game is working now without mods.

Then copy from desktop your mods and CC and paste it in the new mods folder. First, paste script mods every time checking if the game is OK. Do the same with CC but if you have a lot of this, try the 50/50 method

There are new updated versions of mods already. So you have to replace these broken ones,

I don't work for EA

Message 4 of 6 (1,577 Views)

★ Novice

@kreatora 

Thank you for replying!

I followed your steps exactly and unfortunately the same error still appeared when I tried to open the game. I only put one file of cc into the game that I know is up to date, and my game still refuses to open. I know that I have mods enabled. Very strange Frown

Message 5 of 6 (1,543 Views)

★★ Pro

@MunchieMoonx 

The game still refuses to open?

Have you tried playing the game without mods and custom content installed and it plays just fine?

If yes, does it refuse to open when you've added a mod or piece of custom content?

If this is the case, try resetting your Sims 4 folder

You can do this by moving your Sims 4 folder to the desktop or renaming it Sims4Old.

Launch the game so it creates a new Sims 4 folder and try a test game to make sure things are running okay.

If it's running/playing okay, then start coping back the files and folders noted in Crinrict's article linked below:

Resetting the game to factory settings without reinstalling
https://sims4.crinrict.com/eng/2014/09/resetting-the-game-to-factory-settings-without-reinstalling/

Message 6 of 6 (1,490 Views)