by LadySmoks

Original Post

Re: My computer won't read the sims 3 disk

Hero

What's your operating system ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 11 of 22 (2,609 Views)
Highlighted

★ Novice

My husband bought the game discs for me to avoid such problems, but at this point, I swear that Origin erases or disables the discs with their downloads. Similar to others, I can play music CDs and watch DVDs on my laptop, but TS3 will not reload the game from the disc and I have to download from Origin, which I do not want to do, because they automatically patch to 1.69, and that patch crashes my game. 

Its like Apple getting caught slowing down old iPhones. EA/ Origin seem to kill old Sims games with the patch to make people buy the next version, but I refuse. I'll download Candy Crush or something!

Message 12 of 22 (1,700 Views)

★★ Guide

@LadySmokswrote:Its like Apple getting caught slowing down old iPhones. EA/ Origin seem to kill old Sims games with the patch to make people buy the next version, but I refuse. 

The patch is not killing everyone's game. If for whatever reason the patch is causing issues, there is something--possibly system settings or mods--that could be creating a conflict with the patch. If you're having problem with the patch, there are many threads here and on Google or Bing that you could look up to see what could be causing the problem. 

Message 13 of 22 (1,689 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@LadySmoks  Your issue may be that the discs install the DRM of SecuROM and SafeDisc. SecuROM and SafeDisc are no longer supported by Windows and OS X. The version 1.69 patch which is an Origin only patch removes and/or disables SecuROM and SafeDisc. Some computer optical drives have had issues reading the disc. This is because of the way the discs were created with copy guard. A common method of copy guard is to write an extra sector(s) that all (most) optical drives can read but can not write. Some optical drive manufacturers seem to not be able to read these track(s) all the time if at all.  Replacing the optical drive with a different manufacturer usually fixes the issue. Existing games are allowed to run until a reinstall or addition of new DLC. New installs now are required to be in Origin (since 2012). The version 1.69 patch is complicated as not only the base game has to patch but expansion packs have to patch at the same time and if existing packs are not patched also the game will have issues.

Message 14 of 22 (1,674 Views)

★★★ Novice
@martafcn I am having the same problem to were I can't get my disk to play on my laptop I have got HP Pavilion x360 14 and I cant get it play on that. But on my family computer it works fine on that. Also on my laptop it will let me play the sims 4 on it but not the sims 3
Message 15 of 22 (1,162 Views)

@Annmarie2444  It might be a problem with the reader in your laptop—not all disc drives read Sims 3 discs correctly.  The easiest solution is to register your code in Origin and download the game—you then won't need a disc to play.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 16 of 22 (1,159 Views)

★★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict but you have to buy the sims 3 on origin or can I use the code that came with the disc.
Message 17 of 22 (1,128 Views)

@Annmarie2444  You can use the code that came with the disc, as long as you haven't used it before.  If you have, just login to Origin with that account, and Sims 3 will already be in your library.  If you used the code on the Sims 3 Store site, the same applies—the store and Origin share information, so you should already have an Origin account with your store email and password.

Message 18 of 22 (1,118 Views)

★★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict OK I have already used it once so what can I do if I can't use it again is there other way to get the sims 3 with a code
Message 19 of 22 (1,102 Views)

@Annmarie2444  There's no way to get a new code, aside from buying the game again.  But if you used it, the game will still be on that account.  Just login to Origin with whatever email and password you used when you registered the game, and download it from your game library.

Message 20 of 22 (1,098 Views)