My Sims game crashes after enabling script mods; please help

by HipsterAriel89

Original Post

Accepted Solution

My Sims game crashes after enabling script mods; please help

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

I have no mods in the mods folder or near the documents folder. Brand new download of the game so only thing in the mods folder is that resource file they automatically add. Game driver is updated and windows 10 is fully updated.

The game will open and load the opening Sims 4 logo screen, it will then shut completely down to the origin application. I don't get any error messages. It shuts down the same as if I manually closed the game. 

Message 1 of 9 (3,194 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: My Sims game crashes after enabling script mods; please help

@HipsterAriel89  Are you saying that only enabling script mods, without adding any mods, causes the game to crash?  Or does it only crash when you have actual mods present?  These are two very different issues.

TOOL breaks after most Sims 4 patches, perhaps including the one released today.  (I haven't seen confirmation either way.)  At the very least, make sure you've downloaded the version dated September 7, or else wait a day or so until TwistedMexi releases a new version or confirms that this one works with patch 1.80.

If you can't enable script mods alone, even without adding any mods, please try a clean user folder.  Move the entire Sims 4 folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts and onto your desktop, launch the game to create a new one, enable script mods, quit, and don't add any mods yet.  Just launch the game and see whether it still works.  If it does, add TOOL and nothing else, and test again.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 8 of 9 (3,081 Views)

All Replies

★★★★ Guide

Try repairing the game through Origin.

You can also delete the mods folder and reload your game.

Message 2 of 9 (3,172 Views)

★★ Novice
@Coley666 I've tried both. Neither stop the game from shutting down seconds after the logo screen.
Message 3 of 9 (3,156 Views)

@HipsterAriel89  Please run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

Message 4 of 9 (3,150 Views)

★★ Novice

here you go; sorry it took so long.

Message 5 of 9 (3,120 Views)

@HipsterAriel89  Just to clarify, does the game crash if you don't enable script mods?  You can delete options.ini, in the same Sims 4 user folder, to reset game options to their defaults.

If that doesn't make a difference, or even if it does but you want to use mods, please uninstall and reinstall the VC++ runtimes that Sims 4 uses.  Click Windows key-i, select Apps, and scroll down to the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributables.  Click on the 2015-2019 versions, both x86 and x64, and Uninstall.  (Don't touch the versions from any other year.)  Then download and install new versions directly from Microsoft:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2977003/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads

You need both the x86 and x64 versions, but you can skip the ARM version, which is for a different class of device.  Restart your computer before trying to play.

If that doesn't help either, please run the .NET Framework repair tool, also from Microsoft, and restart.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30135

If that doesn't help either, please post a new dxdiag.

Message 6 of 9 (3,110 Views)

★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict the game will run without enabling scripts but I really just want them for the TOOL mod. I will give those steps a try.
Message 7 of 9 (3,093 Views)

@HipsterAriel89  Are you saying that only enabling script mods, without adding any mods, causes the game to crash?  Or does it only crash when you have actual mods present?  These are two very different issues.

TOOL breaks after most Sims 4 patches, perhaps including the one released today.  (I haven't seen confirmation either way.)  At the very least, make sure you've downloaded the version dated September 7, or else wait a day or so until TwistedMexi releases a new version or confirms that this one works with patch 1.80.

If you can't enable script mods alone, even without adding any mods, please try a clean user folder.  Move the entire Sims 4 folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts and onto your desktop, launch the game to create a new one, enable script mods, quit, and don't add any mods yet.  Just launch the game and see whether it still works.  If it does, add TOOL and nothing else, and test again.

Message 8 of 9 (3,082 Views)

★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict This last step worked.
So to recap:
I had completely uninstalled the game and even origin twice and every time it would work perfectly until I checked the "enable script mods" box. I would then exit game and immediately restart it without adding anything and that's when I would get to the logo screen and then it would shut down without any error codes.
So moving the entire folder to the desktop, restarting and re-enabling script mods, and then starting again solved the problem.
Thank you so much.
Message 9 of 9 (3,066 Views)