My Sims 4 game is lagging so bad, its unplayable.

by Daarrheel

Original Post

My Sims 4 game is lagging so bad, its unplayable.

★★ Novice

so I have a pretty good computer, ive got well over 400 hours played on the sims 4. now for some reason I have lag so bad, its unplayable. I have uninstalled and reinstalled, my Graphics is updated, 64 gigs Ram, no mads installed.

Message 1 of 9 (1,980 Views)

Re: My Sims 4 game is lagging so bad, its unplayable.

Community Manager

Hey @Daarrheel I'm seeing a number of errors there, so to start with the best thing to do is go ahead and run System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files:https://support.microsoft.com/en-ie/help/929833/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-o...

Let us know how you get on.

Darko

Darko.png
Message 2 of 9 (1,966 Views)

★★ Novice

Ok so I ran the system file checker. the game still runs so slow I cant do anything. even the main menu and opening run like they are studdering or something.

Message 3 of 9 (1,910 Views)

[ Edited ]

@Daarrheel  What did sfc say when it finished its run?

Try disabling your Adobe software, at least while you play.  Your dxdiag lists it in a couple of errors.

If that doesn't help, disable Game Mode and Game Bar.  Both can be found under Windows Settings > Gaming.

If that doesn't help either, please try playing while your computer is completely offline.  You can sign into Origin and put it in offline mode, then disable wifi and/or disconnect the ethernet cable before launching the game.

Please also let me know what kind of framerates you get while playing.  Bring up the cheats console (crtl-shift-C) and enter "fps on" without quotes.  A number will appear in the lower left corner, over the UI.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 4 of 9 (1,902 Views)

★★ Novice

ok so , i did all the things.

Turned off game mode and game bar

Uninstalled adobe Flash (cause who needs flash anyways)

went into offline mode and launched the game.

Game plays at 3.8 FPS

Ive also made sure to run windows update and get everything updated.

my other games seem to run fine, Minecraft with max settings, Civ VI with max settings... to name two I play often.

could Origin be the issue ? I havent uninstalled that yet, just the game.

Message 5 of 9 (1,883 Views)

@Daarrheel  Origin doesn't usually cause this kind of issue, at least not if you've played in offline mode.  Did you actually take your computer off the internet too?  It's not enough to merely play with Origin in offline mode; sometimes the internet connection itself is ths issue.

If playing while your computer is offline doesn't or didn't help, please post the first 40 or so lines of your config file, which is in Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4.  (You can stop when you get to the "Options" section.)  Your user and computer names are about 25 lines down, so delete those if you want, but the file doesn't contain any other personal information.

Please also let me know what sfc said when it finished, or if you're not sure, run it again.  The important point is to see whether it reports that it found corrupt files and was unable to repair some of them, because that would need to be addressed.

Message 6 of 9 (1,866 Views)

★★ Novice

aha that's it!!!!

disconnecting from the internet, fixed the issue, in fact that fixed several issues.....

so now that I know the internet was the issue.... whats the solution? I've run a virus Scanner (Avast and McAfee) they didn't find anything.

I use Xfinity by the way, I even pay for speed boost.

Message 7 of 9 (1,844 Views)

★★ Novice

also .... SFC found errors and fixed them.

Message 8 of 9 (1,843 Views)

@Daarrheel  There's a known issue with extremely low fps when connected to the internet.  Some players don't find a fix, other than to play with no internet connection.  For others, it can help to update their LAN driver, or to tinker with the settings for temp internet files.  More information is in these two posts:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/CURRENT-ISSUE-Incredibly-Low-FPS-when-connected-to-Int...

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/CURRENT-ISSUE-Incredibly-Low-FPS-when-connected-to-Int...

One person also reported using CCleaner to remove temp internet files helped.

Your dxdiag says that your Qualcomm ethernet controller is from 2016, so that may be the first thing to address.  Dell offers a newer driver for your PC here:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/xps-8920-desktop/drivers

If that doesn't help, you can try letting Windows find a newer driver for you through the Device Manager.  Hit Windows key-X, select Device Manager, find the ethernet controller on the list, and click the Update icon at the top of the window.  If the newer driver doesn't work, download the one from Dell, take your computer offline, uninstall the driver through the Device Manager, and reinstall the one from Dell.

Message 9 of 9 (1,799 Views)