Re: My Sim Launcher won't open

by Brass_Buckles

Original Post

My Sim Launcher won't open

★★ Novice

I recently purchased World Adventures through Origin, and when I went to install it it said that I had to install my base game through Origin, (World Adventures is the only digital copy I have). So in procedding to uninstall and reinstall my base game it removed all my expansion packs and stuff packs, etc. Well after I reinstalled it, I was going to reinstall Ambitions and it said that I needed to update my game launcher, well when I go to try to open my game launcher to update it is says that the 'The Sims 3 Game Launcher has quit working'. All I wanted to do is play World Adventures and this is extremely exhasting trying to figure out what is wrong, can someone help?

Message 1 of 7 (412 Views)

Hero

Try the factory reset described in this post: http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-3/FAQ-Troubleshooting-Steps/td-p/714/

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 7 (397 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I also have this problem, and it seems to be Origin-related.  I followed Crinrict's link from another thread.  I tried the factory reset and the advanced option.  The launcher failed to start without creating a new folder, and there were no leftover install files to remove, nor any mod folders or files within the program files or Origin directories.

In my case, it also occurred after an Origin update, although in my case it was a "repair install" that broke the game--I wanted to be sure that my game stayed as glitch-free as possible, so I ran the Repair Install through Origin.  The irony of a Repair Install breaking the game is not lost on me.

This appears to have something to do with Origin updates/repair installs, since we both had this problem today.  Probably, something in the files that Origin is checking for is corrupt.

As far as I can see, I've got two options:  Wait for Into the Future to come out, since I preordered, or reinstall and hope that fixes the problem.  Considering how long a reinstall will take for all expansions and several stuff packs (and if it is the Origin files, it won't even work), alternative suggestions are welcome!  I don't really want to use the workaround for this because I have content from the Sims Store, and can't manage/download that content without the launcher.

Message 3 of 7 (387 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I just finished downloading the manual patch from the link in one of Crinrict's threads and installed it (over the current updated version that Origin had messed with).  I decided it couldn't hurt to try that.  The launcher now works fine again.  So, to the original poster:  Try that.  It takes a long time to download, but it worked for me.

It also may confirm that there's something corrupt with Origin's update/repair install files that it references, but I wouldn't feel safe to  assume so without hearing the same story from other people who have updated or downloaded packs for Sims 3 today.

Message 4 of 7 (382 Views)

Hero

Thank you for that solution.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 5 of 7 (379 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Wheredid you find the manual patch im having trouble locating one to download

Message 6 of 7 (345 Views)

Message 7 of 7 (342 Views)