My Game Lag to 15 FPS Even on Lowest Setting

by TS1299

Original Post

Accepted Solution

My Game Lag to 15 FPS Even on Lowest Setting

★★★ Apprentice

The Sims 4 have been lagging for me. Starting from like Snowy Escape Patch, and now I cannot hold it anymore as I am getting 14 fps even on the lowest settings. I have tried everything that I could before posting, I have repaired the game, cleared TS4 folder in Documents folder and lower the settings. However the same result. I have met the recommneded requirements for the game so it is still a mystery why it was like this for me. In the past I was able to run smoothly the game but now I can't. I do not understand.

I browse the forums and people asks for dxdiag so I'll post it here in advance. Thank You Very much for those who will help I appreciate it. I miss playing the game again.

Message 1 of 6 (1,394 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: My Game Lag to 15 FPS Even on Lowest Setting

@TS1299  Did your computer really only come with 4 GB RAM installed?  That alone could cause the game to slow down—that's barely enough for Windows and Sims 4 in a new save, let alone a well-progressed one.  Running other apps alongside the game will only compound the issue.

However, your dxdiag lists numerous errors related to the Nvidia graphics driver, so that's where to start.  Since you already have the newest driver offered by Nvidia, you'll need to do a clean uninstall; it's best to then install the newest driver (from November) offered for your laptop by Lenovo.  Download Display Driver Uninstaller from here:

https://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3430

You can get the newest Nvidia driver, and GeForce Experience if you want it, from the download page for your laptop:

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/ideapad-l-series-laptop/l340-15irh-...

Next, take your computer completely offline—disable wifi and/or pull the ethernet cord—and double-click the DDU.exe.  Take note of where the file will land, and click Extract.  If it's easier, you can copy the path and then paste it into the address bar in a File Explorer window.  Open the folder and then launch Display Driver Uninstaller.exe, and you'll get a message that you're not in Safe Mode.  Click OK, then go to Options and enable Safe Mode dialog.  Here's a screenshot of what your options should look like; make sure the box in red is checked:

DDU 1.1.png

Close options, and the DDU, and then open the DDU.exe again.  For launch options, choose "Safe Mode (Recommended)," and then click Reboot to Safe Mode (you'll need your password, so find it before rebooting).  Once you login, you'll see this:

DDU 2.png

In the blue box, choose GPU, then Nvidia if it's not already showing.  Then click Clean and Restart (red box).

Once your computer has rebooted, now back in normal mode, run the driver install .exe in custom mode.  Select "perform a clean installation" and install ONLY the GPU driver and the PHYSX software.

Reboot again, go back online, and see whether the game works normally.  If not, let me know.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 2 of 6 (1,382 Views)

All Replies

@TS1299  Did your computer really only come with 4 GB RAM installed?  That alone could cause the game to slow down—that's barely enough for Windows and Sims 4 in a new save, let alone a well-progressed one.  Running other apps alongside the game will only compound the issue.

However, your dxdiag lists numerous errors related to the Nvidia graphics driver, so that's where to start.  Since you already have the newest driver offered by Nvidia, you'll need to do a clean uninstall; it's best to then install the newest driver (from November) offered for your laptop by Lenovo.  Download Display Driver Uninstaller from here:

https://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3430

You can get the newest Nvidia driver, and GeForce Experience if you want it, from the download page for your laptop:

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/ideapad-l-series-laptop/l340-15irh-...

Next, take your computer completely offline—disable wifi and/or pull the ethernet cord—and double-click the DDU.exe.  Take note of where the file will land, and click Extract.  If it's easier, you can copy the path and then paste it into the address bar in a File Explorer window.  Open the folder and then launch Display Driver Uninstaller.exe, and you'll get a message that you're not in Safe Mode.  Click OK, then go to Options and enable Safe Mode dialog.  Here's a screenshot of what your options should look like; make sure the box in red is checked:

DDU 1.1.png

Close options, and the DDU, and then open the DDU.exe again.  For launch options, choose "Safe Mode (Recommended)," and then click Reboot to Safe Mode (you'll need your password, so find it before rebooting).  Once you login, you'll see this:

DDU 2.png

In the blue box, choose GPU, then Nvidia if it's not already showing.  Then click Clean and Restart (red box).

Once your computer has rebooted, now back in normal mode, run the driver install .exe in custom mode.  Select "perform a clean installation" and install ONLY the GPU driver and the PHYSX software.

Reboot again, go back online, and see whether the game works normally.  If not, let me know.

Message 2 of 6 (1,383 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Thank You Very Much I will see what I can do!! <3 . I will report as soon as I finished it. If RAM is not enough then I guess I will have to updgrade it. Will 8 GB will be enough or the game needs atleast 16? Thank You for the solutions I will try them once I got back home! <3

Message 3 of 6 (1,359 Views)

@TS1299  8 GB RAM is enough for Windows and Sims 4.  The only reason you'd need 16 GB is if you wanted to be able to multitask without seeing a slowdown when switching from one task to another.  On the other hand, check your local prices—it may be only marginally more expensive to buy a 16 GB RAM kit, and if you're opening up the laptop anyway, it's a nice upgrade to have.

Message 4 of 6 (1,357 Views)

★★★ Apprentice
@puzzlezaddict Hello Thank You Very Much!! I am very Happy. I was able to retain a smooth 30-40 fps in my computer just like when I first bought the game. Thank You Very Much!!!

I also have a question, what causes the rrors in my graphics driver? And if it is updates, how do I properly update my drivers without getting the issue back? And does Windows 10 big updates safe too? Thank You Very much!! <3 <3
Message 5 of 6 (1,346 Views)

@TS1299  A graphics driver can get corrupted the same way other files get corrupted; the risk is low but not zero.  Or a new driver may not get properly installed in some way or another.  Additionally, there are often good reasons to use the newest driver offered by the manufacturer of your laptop, or at least to keep using it until you notice problems with it.

As far as preventing issues with the graphics driver, there's no foolproof approach.  However, you can cut down on the error rate by installing the driver manually, as an admin: right-click on the download and select "Run as administrator."  Don't let GeForce Experience or a driver update app do it for you.  And you don't really need to install a new driver unless you have issues with the current one or want some new feature that the older driver doesn't have.  I only really update mine if I install a new Windows build, although I'd likely also update if I installed a newly released game.

Message 6 of 6 (1,317 Views)