Re: Moving Sims 4 From C Drive to D Drive

by jpkarlsen

Original Post

Moving Sims 4 From C Drive to D Drive

★★★★ Novice

I'm currently trying to move my Sims 4 data over to the D drive. The game is already installed onto the D drive, but the save, cache, tray, and mod files are all still saved into the C drive for whatever reason. 

I've attempted to change the file location of the Sims 4 files from the C drive to the D drive, but I get an error message "Can't move the folder because there is a folder in the same location that can't be redirected. Access is denied."

My C drive is at it's limit, so continuing to save onto it is impossible. My D drive has plenty of space.

Message 1 of 10 (24,544 Views)

@Missmagoo2  Do you have a Sims 4 folder on D in the same location you're trying to use?  That's the normal cause of this error: the sytem doesn't allow two files or folders with the same name to be in the same location.  If you can't delete that folder, for example if it's the folder that contains the Sims 4 installed files, just choose a different location, for example within a different folder.

In case you're not aware though, you can't just move the user data folder—the game won't read it and will create a new one instead.  You'll either need to move the entire Documents directory to D or use a symbolic link to point the game to the correct location.  Here's a tutorial for each approach:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/74952-move-location-documents-folder-windows-10-a.html

https://crinrict.com/blog/2020/02/moving-windows-documents-folder-to-external-drive-via-symbolic-lin...

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 10 (24,541 Views)

★★★★ Novice

That might be the issue. I'll try deleting the folders and see what happens.

Message 3 of 10 (24,538 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I uninstalled the Sims 4 , just to make sure that I didn't have the same files in the D drive and I still get the same error message. I'm not sure what's causing the issue.

Message 4 of 10 (24,529 Views)

@Missmagoo2  How are you trying to move the Sims 4 user folder, what location (file path) are you trying to move it to, and what's already there?  A screenshot would be helpful.

Message 5 of 10 (24,526 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict I was following the directions posted here: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-move-default-user-folders-new-drive-windows-10.

I've attached what's in my D Drive folder and D Drive Downloads folder.

Message 6 of 10 (24,524 Views)

@Missmagoo2  If you're trying to move all of Documents to D, it sounds like there's a folder already in D:\Documents that matches the name of a folder in the version of Documents on C.  You could sort through this, or you could take a shortcut.  Create a new folder on D, name it whatever you want, and move all the files inside D:\Documents to that new folder.  Then repeat the steps to redirect Documents to D.

Once Documents has moved, you can sort through the other files and folders.

Message 7 of 10 (24,487 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I could never figure it out. I literally named it something ridiculous and the same error message still popped up...I'm not sure what else it wants from me.

Message 8 of 10 (24,480 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@Missmagoo2 

You already have a Documents folder on your D: drive If you rename that to something else for example olddocuments you will be able to Move Documents from C: to D:. After that you can move the contents of olddocuments to the Documents folder if you prefer to have them collected and then delete the olddocuments folder.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 9 of 10 (24,472 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Nice

Message 10 of 10 (22,159 Views)