Moved game folder, packs need to be fully downloaded???

by F3lsworn

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Moved game folder, packs need to be fully downloaded???

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

I moved the game's folder from one drive to another. Fast forward; Origin detects my Sims 3 folder in the new location and does not download the whole thing over again. Excellent! But the tricks does not seem to work with the expansion packs :/ I've copy/pasted the expansion folders into the new location yet the download simply starts and goes all the way, it does not detect the expansion files already in place. Is there a different way to handle game expansions or am I forced to download all of it over again?

I followed this guide: http://www.overclock.net/t/1222388/guide-moving-reinstalling-origin-and-games-without-re-downloading
Basically says to: close down Origin -> copy/paste all game folders to somewhere else -> fully uninstall and delete Origin and its folder -> reinstall Origin and set the new location where all games should go -> initiate the download for a game, but only until that game's folder has been made -> quit Origin (leave the download running or pause it) -> copy/paste games to the new location (merge and/or replace whatever has been downloaded) -> start Origin and the download manager should detect all the files being in place and stop the download

But Origin doesn't seem to make (or check for) the folder for any of the Sims 3 expansions until the download is fully completed :/

Message 1 of 4 (1,316 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Moved game folder, packs need to be fully downloaded???

★★★ Novice

As it turned out, that is not the case. I found that instead of placing each Exp Pack as a separate folder in the Origin/Games folder, I had to place them in the appropriate Episode folders inside Sims 3. I've moved the whole Sims 3 folder more than once and it seemed to work just fine, except this time, but it's fixed now and works again without the need for re-downloading and installing everything over.

View in thread

Message 3 of 4 (1,321 Views)

All Replies

Hero (Retired)

@F3lsworn  Expansion packs HAVE to be installed by the game. Moving the game in this fashion may (probably) will unlink the packs. The packs need to be uninstalled and reinstalled to correct the registry entries. This game has a more complex structure them most other games and modifying the game after installation could (and usually does) cause issues. If you moved the game to a usb drive there could be issues. Usb drives can (and do) change its assigned device designation and this can cause the game not to run.

hth

Message 2 of 4 (1,304 Views)

★★★ Novice

As it turned out, that is not the case. I found that instead of placing each Exp Pack as a separate folder in the Origin/Games folder, I had to place them in the appropriate Episode folders inside Sims 3. I've moved the whole Sims 3 folder more than once and it seemed to work just fine, except this time, but it's fixed now and works again without the need for re-downloading and installing everything over.

Message 3 of 4 (1,322 Views)

[ Edited ]
EA app Team

I'm glad you could make it work @F3lsworn, thanks for sharing how you did it with the community! Standard smile

What are you planning to do with your Sims next?

-Mai

Message 4 of 4 (1,249 Views)