Mouse cursor not working properly

by crinrict

Original Post

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Mouse cursor not working properly

[ Edited ]
Hero

There seem to be several issues with mouse cursors around.

Check your settings if you have MouseTrails on and if you do, turn them off. As an alternative, change to windowed or full windowed mode

Also try the suggestions in this thread: http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4-Bug-Reports/Cursor-stops-working-in-CAS/td-p/3456491/

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 1 of 51 (140,530 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: [Info Request] Mouse cursor not working properly

Hero

Thanks guys,

the issue with mouse pointer not showing up seems to be an issue of activated trailing on mouse cursers in conjunction of fullscreen mode. Try turning off either and it should work.

As for the issue where the mouse suddenly stoppes working, try if reinstalling your mouse drivers does anything for you.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

View in thread

Message 10 of 51 (161,849 Views)

All Replies

★★★★ Novice

I have windows 8.1 and use the mouspad of my Acer Aspire and also tried a cheap laptop mouse.

It has happened twice now in the middle of making a sim that a left click/drag starts functioning like a right click/drag, and right clicking doesn't do anything anymore. This means I can't save my sim or do anything else. It makes no difference when I switch from my mouse pad to my usb mouse and back. When I minimise CAS and go to any other program left and right clicking works like usual, no issues, but the problem is still there when I maximise CAS again. The problem also persists when I switch between fullscreen and windowed mode.

Message 2 of 51 (140,401 Views)

★★ Novice

The cursor isn't showing up at all. It starts up fine and gets to the title page but then I can do nothing.

Windows 8.1 Pro

Logitech M510 Mouse

Message 3 of 51 (140,380 Views)

★★ Novice

I was having the same issue!  After messing around with Sims 4 CAS Demo options, I finally got it to work.  I clicked on menu, game options, and under the graphics tab, look underneath "Display", next to "Display type" and it was originally under "Fullscreen".  I changed it to "Windowed Fullscreen".  VOILA! It should no longer be giving you issues.  I hope this works for you! :womanvery-happy:

Message 4 of 51 (140,351 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Mouse: It says GTC Ribbon on top of it so I will asume that's my mouse. It has 2 extra buttons, a broken scrollwheel and a sesivity control button (Apparently)

3rd Question: I have a touchpad because my computer is a laptop, but I use a Wireless USB connected mouse. (I plug a little thing in one of the USB ports and Tada!)

4th Question: When I'm gonna tweak/change any part of my sim that requires direct manipulation, the mouse slows down, but when I stop clicking and dragging the parts, it goes back to normal speed. In the intro clip of the CAS Demo, whoever is moving the mouse and dragging the sims, does it fast. Like at normal speed of my mouse, but mine gets stuck and slows down. With stuck I mean I can't move it any further when the regen gets red (You have reached the limit)

5th Question: I'm playing in Windowed mode. The Windowed mode seems to have other glitches appart from this (Is not using the border smoothing thing).

I have tried switching to Full Window mode but the issue persists.

Message 5 of 51 (140,298 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Yep! This was my problem too. I'm playing on a Toshiba laptop with Windows 7, that met all the requirements for the game (and Demo). From the second I turned on the game, I couldn't see my cursor yet I could still use it. It was almost as if the cursor was in the background, but the game still recognized it. I went into the settings and switched my game from Full-screen to Windowed Full-screen, and then there it was. Good thing too because I was kind of upset about it XD I haven't played the Sims since 2.

Message 6 of 51 (140,293 Views)

★ Novice

@dopaminedroid wrote:

I have windows 8.1 and use the mouspad of my Acer Aspire and also tried a cheap laptop mouse.

It has happened twice now in the middle of making a sim that a left click/drag starts functioning like a right click/drag, and right clicking doesn't do anything anymore. This means I can't save my sim or do anything else. It makes no difference when I switch from my mouse pad to my usb mouse and back. When I minimise CAS and go to any other program left and right clicking works like usual, no issues, but the problem is still there when I maximise CAS again. The problem also persists when I switch between fullscreen and windowed mode.

I'm getting this too! and it's really annoying because I can't even exit the game when it happens

Message 7 of 51 (140,291 Views)

★★ Novice

Same here! I have tried with both a mouse and track pad it wont work! All I can do is rotate my dang sim!

Message 8 of 51 (140,263 Views)

★ Novice

1. Windows 8

2. Acer Aspire V3 touchpad and touchscreen

3. Touchpad and touchscreen, though I use the touchpad more

4. When this occurs, I am only able to move my Sim around. I am able to click and zoom in. When I click on my Sim or their clothing, the respective customization windows pop up, but if I try to click anything in the windows, my mouse is registered as trying to zoom or move my Sim around, as the windows are no longer clickable.

5. Windowed mode. I would play Fullscreen, but if it happens again, I would have to forcibly shut down the Sims in order to exit out, which messes up my computer screen. However, I will try.

Just in case this helps:

This tends to happen every time I play for more than four-six hours (it's hard to tell, time flies by so quickly)

The first time it happened, I panicked and started clicking around frantically everywhere on the screen. I started clicking on my Sims' portraits to see if I could switch between them and lo and behold, I could and I was able to change hairstyles, click on the basics at the top left. The issue had resolved itself.

The second time it happened, I had also been playing for around four hours. I clicked frantically on my Sims' portraits waiting for it to fix itself again, and it did. I switched to another Sim. I was able to change one thing (I think it was a bracelet) before it happened again. I clicked frantically again like an idiot, somehow managed to switch back to the original Sim I had been editing, but afterwards I couldn't do anything but move my Sim around.

Being a child of the autosave era, I don't have the kneejerk reaction to save every minute in order to not lose my data. I checked around to see if there was a hotkey for saves, with none to be had, I had to forcibly shut down Sims with taskmanager, as pressing exit only prompted a window in game that I had no way of actually clicking, and pressing enter seems to be choose 'cancel' as opposed to 'accept'.

That being mention, I should also point out that my keyboard was registered as it normally would be, so it's only the mouse. Esc, >, <, -, +, ctrl+z, and ctrl+y all worked normally.

I hope this information helps in any way.

Message 9 of 51 (140,195 Views)

Hero

Thanks guys,

the issue with mouse pointer not showing up seems to be an issue of activated trailing on mouse cursers in conjunction of fullscreen mode. Try turning off either and it should work.

As for the issue where the mouse suddenly stoppes working, try if reinstalling your mouse drivers does anything for you.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 10 of 51 (161,850 Views)