Re: Mods folder organization

by nisawright13

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Mods folder organization

★★★★ Novice

Hi all! I have a MASSIVE amount of CC and I am finally trying to organize it all. I am just a little confused about *how* I am allowed to organize it. I've read subfolders can cause issues and I'm really unsure of if the way I want to organize my folder will work. I want to have major categories, then break the categories down by creator and have each creator with their own folder. For example:

The Sims 4

Mods

Adult Female Hair

Creator number 1 folder (place that creators files here)

Creator number 2 folder (place that creators files here)

Creator number 3 folder (repeat)

Creator number 4 (repeat)

repeat til done

Can I do that? Or that going to be too many separate folders? I currently have it like this:

The Sims 4

Mods

Adult Female Hair (place file here)

But it's really hard to keep track of what CC I have from what creator and I have ended up with a ton of duplicates as a result. I would just like a little more organization lol. 

Message 1 of 3 (2,748 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]
Hero

Hi @nisawright13 

A lot of nested subfolders might slow down your game but otherwise, they shouldn't cause issue. If you have a lot, you can also look into merging cc with S4Studio (only cc, not mods as those need updating with almost every patch). Do keep the origin al files in case the cc also will need updating. So you know what you had.

You can have up to 5 nested ones (within each other down to 5 levels total)

So your suggested structure would be fine.

Only exception to this rule are Script mods. Those need to be in the mods folder. You can create one folder per script mod within the Mods folder but no further nesting

For example

Mods

MCCC

All Files of the mod
  Sims Info
    All Files of the mod

etc

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

View in thread

Message 2 of 3 (2,736 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
Hero

Hi @nisawright13 

A lot of nested subfolders might slow down your game but otherwise, they shouldn't cause issue. If you have a lot, you can also look into merging cc with S4Studio (only cc, not mods as those need updating with almost every patch). Do keep the origin al files in case the cc also will need updating. So you know what you had.

You can have up to 5 nested ones (within each other down to 5 levels total)

So your suggested structure would be fine.

Only exception to this rule are Script mods. Those need to be in the mods folder. You can create one folder per script mod within the Mods folder but no further nesting

For example

Mods

MCCC

All Files of the mod
  Sims Info
    All Files of the mod

etc

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 3 (2,737 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Thank you so much! I will definitely make sure to put the script mods in the right place and not nest the folders too deeply. I will also look into merging cc files as that would probably be an immense help as well. 

Message 3 of 3 (2,729 Views)