Re: Mod installation issues

by Kailin116

Original Post

@Kailin116  From your screenshots, the issue is clear: you're working with the version of Documents that's inside your OneDrive folder, not the standard location.  Your Sims 3 content needs to go here:

C:\Users\your username\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3

If you right-click on the Sims 3 folder in your screenshot and select Properties > General, you'll see that it has OneDrive in the file path.  That's also the reason for the duplicate Sims3Logs files: OneDrive keeps syncing new versions and renumbering them so that you don't have multiple files with the same name in the same location.

Point is, put the mods in the correct folder and they'll show up.  To open that folder and not the one inside OneDrive, open a File Explorer window, click This PC in the left panel, double-click the C drive, and open Users > your username > Documents etc.

The duplicate Sims3Logs files can go, as can the scripterrors.  The former will regenerate as necessary; that latter are mods reporting on errors, but you only need those if there's a specific in-game problem you're trying to troubleshoot.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 11 of 20 (611 Views)

★★★ Novice

okay i'm there so just to clarify (i feel a bit slow lol) I put my mods in this or the Sims 3 document in this area? And I delete the script errors and the rest of the duplicate stuff. What about my OneDrive should i just delete everything from there? 

Message 12 of 20 (606 Views)

@Kailin116  It looks like Windows isn't using that Documents folder at all, which is not all that surprising with Windows 11.  While you could, in theory, leave this alone, I'd suggest changing the settings so you (and Sims 3 by extension) are using the version of Documents in your screenshot rather than the one inside OneDrive.  Here's how to change the default location of Documents:

https://www.elevenforum.com/t/move-or-restore-default-location-of-documents-folder-in-windows-11.870...

There are plenty of reasons to do this, not least of which is that OneDrive can make files disappear for no apparent reason.  Sometimes it's that OneDrive gets full; other times new files somehow get replaced with older versions.  But it's a lot easier to not have to deal with this at all.

Once you've moved the location of Documents, restart your computer, launch Sims 3, and look for an Electronic Arts folder inside the Documents folder in your screenshot.  If you don't see one, stop here and let me know.  Otherwise, add the Mods folder, with the resource.cfg and the Packages folder inside, delete scriptCache.package, and see whether the mods load.

And you're not being slow at all.  Having an empty Documents folder would confuse most people, and probably scare some of them, who haven't seen it before.

Message 13 of 20 (590 Views)

★★★ Novice

So for the link I clicked on it and it doesn't have a page for the info that you're talking about, it says the page has not been found. But where would I move the document folder to the personal document folder which is under the this PC ? 

Message 14 of 20 (564 Views)

★★★ Novice

Here is what I did, please let me know if I followed your instructions right Standard smile

Message 15 of 20 (556 Views)

@Kailin116  That's my fault; it looks like I somehow added an s on the end of the link.  Not sure how that happened, but here it is in its proper format:

https://www.elevenforum.com/t/move-or-restore-default-location-of-documents-folder-in-windows-11.870...

Anyway, I see a bunch of custom content directly inside Documents, which of course won't work, but once you drop it into the Packages folder inside the Mods folder in your second screenshot, the files should show up in-game.  Be sure to extract any .zip, .7z, or .rar files beforehand; everything needs to be in .package form.

Message 16 of 20 (544 Views)

★★★ Novice

For the Onedrive folder I've to stop backing up my folders but it took everything off the home screen and now Im even more confused? I'm so lost the steps on the forum have like a lot of steps and Im not sure if I did them right Frown. Is there any way you can explain it once more again? I have a lot of stuff on my computer so I'm trying not to mess up anything just for the sims but I'm also like super frustrated I've tried everything, and I seem to keep making it worse and worse. 

Message 17 of 20 (463 Views)

★★★ Novice

Like its a mess lmao

Message 18 of 20 (462 Views)

★★★ Novice

So here this is I'm going to try to play in game again and see if it pops up. But there's nothing but packages in this package file, and some text documents. 

Message 19 of 20 (453 Views)

@Kailin116  When you stopped backing up your files, OneDrive removed them from your computer, keeping only the copy in the cloud.  I would have mentioned this if I'd known you were going to change OneDrive settings, but it's easy to fix even now.  Just open OneDrive, either through File Explorer or from onedrive.com, and download whatever files you'd like to keep.

Your Packages folder looks like a mess, with lots of files inside that are not mods and others that have been renamed.  In your position, I'd delete the whole thing (after making sure there weren't any other random files inside you wanted to keep) and start over.  It's best to delete the entire Mods folder and download a new resource.cfg, then download fresh copies of the mods you want to use.

Message 20 of 20 (444 Views)