Missing Mod and Save folder, etc...

by ashxmason

Original Post

Missing Mod and Save folder, etc...

★★★ Newbie

I am having trouble locating the mods folder for The Sims 4. I had to uninstall and reinstall the game and now the folders look different and like theres alot of key folders missing including the Saves folder. I went through my computer to uninstall it, not Origin, although I do use Origin. I started the game a few times and it  still never popped up. At this point Im only able to play the base game plus all the extra content, but I cant mod or download CC. If anyone could please help I would appreciate it. 

Message 1 of 4 (2,020 Views)

Re: Missing Mod and Save folder, etc...

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

@ashxmason

Did you find this folder in Documents or in Program Files?
Go to the Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims4

Step 1. Rename The Sims4 folder to "The Sims4 old"
Step 2. Fix the game in Origin
Origin/Library - right-click on TS4 - option "Repair game"
You have to wait until Origin will fix all packs, not only the base game.
Step 3. Turn on the game - a new game folder will be created and you will have two - one old, one new
Step 4. Check if you still have this problem in the newly created game folder and you have your mods folder back.
If the problem disappeared
Step 5. Delete in the new game folder following folders:
"saves" and Tray.
Step 6. Go to "The Sims 4 old" folder and copy - your "saves " folder.
Step. 7, Paste this folder in a newly created game folder.
Step 8. Do the same with Tray folder and TrayDeleteItems file
Step 9. If you don't use mods - skip this step.
Check if there are newly updated version mods you are using.
Then copy and paste your mods and CC from old mods folder to the new one. First copy the scripts mods every time checking if the game is working properly. If you have a lot of CC try 50/50 method ( divide your CC into smaller batches for example 50 pieces in one subfolder and check these subfolders one by one)
Step. 10. If all is OK - delete The Sims4 old folder. Now you will have only one game folder working properly.

One question: are you using OneDrive?

I don't work for EA

Message 2 of 4 (2,006 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I am using One Drive. That’s sort of what caused the issues to begin with. Once it got full my Documents Folder, a few mods, and a couple other things got a red X next to the folder icon. Also my main hard drive was pretty full so I moved everything on a bigger and emptier hard drive but it didn’t seem like everything went with because the only folders that popped up on the new drive were folders like “EP01” “GP05” etc. No save or Mod folders. BUT after you asked me if I was looking for those folders in Documents or Program Files, I clicked on my Documents folder and all the original folders I was looking for were in there, and it’s  connected to my One Drive. So am I supposed to be using my one drive? Because it’s just gonna get full again right? I just want to wipe everything and start over at this point. 

Message 3 of 4 (1,988 Views)

Hero (Retired)
@ashxmason

There are two problems.
First, the game will not use anything that is on OneDrive.
The second problem is that at the same time Origin moves your mods folder to OneDrive - good, that it's only just this folder and not the "saves" folder or entire The Sims4 folder.
You must secure the entire The Sims4 folder what is in Documents, in this way that whole The Sims folder and everything that is in it, isn't allowed to be moved.
Read carefully the instructions below and secure your folder
https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Files-save-to-OneDrive-by-default-in-Windows-10-33da0077-77...

Message 4 of 4 (1,973 Views)