Original Post

Accepted Solution

Middle mouse button not working for Sims 3 camera after patch on 6/3

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.63.133.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All expansions, parenthood, dine out, spa day, outdoor retreat, tiny living, laundry day, vintage glamour, movie hangout
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Just play the game with the Sims 3 camera. Load up a save or create a new one. Use the Sims 3 camera and try to use the middle mouse button. Before the update it worked fine.
What happens when the bug occurs? Trying to move the screen using the middle mouse button results in it working, then not, then working but mostly not. And that's while holding the button down. It'll move then stop moving the screen and the pointer will go across the screen doing nothing as if I'm not holding any button, only sliding the mouse.
What do you expect to see? The camera should move up/down and left/right while holding the middle mouse button down.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. Updated to June 3rd patch.

I removed my saves and repaired my game to fix another issue where my Sims just literally wouldn't accept any commands  They just stood there although the dog was apparently unaffected for some reason, running around while his owners were pretending to be statues. The repair worked for that issue but not this one unfortunately. I've tried it on 2 different saves, one new save I started after the update and one old save. I even changed the batteries in my wireless mouse because it was at 20%. Hoped that was the answer but it wasn't. Removed my mods before the update. Can't think of what else to try. Hoping it's something I messed up so I can fix it. It's driving me nuts! 

Message 1 of 8 (2,485 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Middle mouse button not working for Sims 3 camera after patch on 6/3

Hero
@died4u525 I'm not having any issues. Have you got another mouse to try ? Are you playing in full screen or windowed mode ?

Moving this to tech for further troubleshooting

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

View in thread

Message 2 of 8 (2,455 Views)

All Replies

Hero
@died4u525 I'm not having any issues. Have you got another mouse to try ? Are you playing in full screen or windowed mode ?

Moving this to tech for further troubleshooting

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 8 (2,456 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

@crinrict 

I always play in full screen because I only have one screen. I've been unsure what the difference is and I've always thought it might use more resources to play in windowed mode but I have no idea.

It hadn't occurred to me to try another mouse. As per your suggestion I tried another mouse I have and it worked fine but I can't keep using that mouse. The other one has never had a problem and actually I had been playing using it the night before the patch without issue so I'm confused as to why suddenly after the patch it would have an issue. I don't hold down the middle button and slide the mouse for any other application so I'm not sure how I'd test it it's a problem in other places.

Message 3 of 8 (2,416 Views)

★★★ Novice

@crinrict So I just mapped the middle click button action to another button on my gaming mouse and it works fine. I just don't understand why it suddenly changed when the update came out since it was working fine the night before. I tried the middle button again in game and tried pressing it really hard and it worked although it's not like I'll be pressing that hard while playing the game. I guess I'll have to keep it mapped to another button for The Sims 4.

I'm very confused but I guess somehow this is a mouse issue on a Logitech mouse I've only had 6 months and the issue began exactly when this game patch came out. I'm not much for coincidences but either way I guess I found my fix. Not sure if there's a way this post can be deleted or hidden or something since it's not a game issue. Anyway thanks for the suggestion that lead me to figuring it out! I really appreciate it! 

Message 4 of 8 (2,400 Views)

Hero
@died4u525 That is really weird and it would be interesting to try another game/program if you can find one that uses the button.

You can just mark it as solve on the post that you think helped most as it can potentially help someone else with the same issue.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 5 of 8 (2,387 Views)

★★★ Novice

@crinrict  It is really weird. So I used the program for the gaming mouse and mapped the middle button to be right click. I tested it out and just clicking the button normally with the normal amount of pressure where I hear it click does nothing. If I put a ton of pressure like where my wrist starts to lift up from the desk then it works as I programmed it. So it does appear to be a problem with the mouse for sure but the timing is very weird. I swear I was playing The Sims 4 with it less than 12 hours before updating the game and it was fine. I checked the software for the mouse and there are no updates  So it's weird but it seems to be the mouse and I guess now I'm stuck with a mouse with a broken middle button. Wonder if it's still under warranty...

Thanks so much for your help! 

Message 6 of 8 (2,379 Views)

Hero
@died4u525 Should be. Don't know about your country but here it's usually at least a year.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 7 of 8 (2,369 Views)

@died4u525 I think I had the same issue, deleted the Options file in Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4, this reset all the options after setting those back to how I had them it worked like normal again. 

----------------

Answers HQ Guardian

do not work for EA

Message 8 of 8 (2,344 Views)