Massive Lagg on big lots

by danikeijzers

Original Post

Massive Lagg on big lots

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Hello,

I have massive lagg at big lots. Its not playable, on other games i have no problems, they use a lot more GPU ussage.

I have a geforce gtx1660 and on ultra it uses 30% GPU. If i travel to small lots it is smooth. But on big lots, i have massive FPS drops.

How can i fix this?

Message 1 of 10 (556 Views)

Re: Massive Lagg on big lots

@danikeijzers  I'm not sure whether this problem is fixable.  When a lot has too many objects on it, and that includes build objects, the game engine struggles to keep up.  But if you'd like to troubleshoot, there are some steps you can take to narrow things down at the very least.

First of all, please do NOT test in San Myshuno or Henford on Bagley.  These worlds run worse than the others, not necessarily all the time but enough to be a problem all by themselves.  It's best to use a base game world, but if your current saves don't have empty lots there, you can use one of the others.

Load a large lot that's empty, or bulldoze an existing lot and then quit and reload.  See how the empty lot runs, and then download a small house or community building, something that would fit on a 20x30 lot or smaller, and see how the large lot runs with this in place.

If you still get lag, please repeat the test, except this time in a new save.

Finally, please test again but with the Eco footprint effects disabled.

Let me know the results, and we can go from there.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 10 (534 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict 

Thanks!

I am playing in willow creek. I have a 40 x 30 lot, without mods.

This one is terrible, empty lots are fine, and smooth. But a community lot is soo slow.

If i zoom out i get a few stutters, in the house it is terrible i have a lot of lagg.

It looks like sims is not using my GPU optimal, Other games i can run on ultra, sims also, but i have low FPS and low GPU ussage.

Is it possible that there is a barricade or something to run optimal?

Message 3 of 10 (524 Views)

@danikeijzers  Sims 4 won't really tax a 1660 ti that much, although 30% usage seems a little low if you're playing on ultra settings.  But the limiting factor could be the game engine itself, in which case it's only giving your GPU and CPU a light workload, and it wouldn't necessarily matter that the components are not close to maxed out.

One thing you can try is setting Windows to run Sims 4 in high-performance mode.  I don't know whether it'll make a difference, but it's easy to do and won't make things worse.  Hit Windows key-i, select System > Display > Graphics settings, click Browse, choose TS4_x64.exe, click Options, choose the high-performance mode, and save.  Then restart your computer.

I'd like to know whether fullscreen or windowed mode works better as well.

Please also run a dxdiag so I can see more details about your system.

https://help.ea.com/en/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

Message 4 of 10 (507 Views)

★★★★ Novice

It is alrerady at high performance mode.

This is the DXDIAG

Message 5 of 10 (502 Views)

@danikeijzers  Please answer the other questions I asked in my previous two posts.  Specifically, about whether performance is different in fullscreen vs. windowed mode and how a smaller building (one meant for a 20x30 or smaller lot) performs on a large lot.

Message 6 of 10 (493 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Smaller lots working fine, other lots also.

in windowed mode it is a lot slower. like more lagg

Message 7 of 10 (486 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict Smaller building on big lots are fine! If i fresh start sims, i have no lagg for 30 minutes, after that the lagg is terrible
Message 8 of 10 (485 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@danikeijzers How does the game run when only one monitor is connected?

Message 9 of 10 (461 Views)

@danikeijzers  As an experiment, and I really don't know whether this will help, you can try using the graphicsrules.sgr override (sometimes called the graphics overhaul) made by Simp4Sims.  Your GPU can certainly handle the (relatively small) extra load, and one of the effects of this file is that it stops the game from switching between high and low level-of-detail over and over at what are relatively short viewing distances.  I can't link the download itself, but google should know what you mean.

This is just a theory I've been thinking about here and there, and like I said, I have no idea whether it'll work.  But it's easy to test and just as easy to revert: the file goes in Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 4 > ConfigOverride, and removing it and thus undoing the changes only requires deleting the file.

Message 10 of 10 (447 Views)