Re: Map View in Poor Quality - Lenovo Legion 5

by iyoung91

Original Post

Hero (Retired)

@iyoung91 I just built a new gaming rig with a RTX 3050 in it but haven't put any games on it yet. I just tried TS3 on my old gaming fig  (an AMD FX 6100 with a GTX 960 video card and Windows 10) and it looks like my world views are more clearer then yours. Just as soon as my new machine is ready I'm going to build a Windows 11 machine. Your dxdiag shows errors relating to Windows 11. You need to open Windows update and see if there are any new updates. . Your laptop should play TS3 without issues. There is talk of Microsoft releasing Windows 12  in 2024. This may make Windows 11 go the way of Windows 8. How are the graphics once you get into the game? Have you played with the resolution in Windows? What is your in game resolutionset at? Did you change any settings in the Nvidia control panel?

Message 11 of 18 (653 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict I downloaded GeForce Experience and also switched settings in Windows to always run in high performance mode. No change to map view with either. I still need to try checking what's going on with task manager. 

@roberta591 I noticed its pulling the wrong OS too in the games Device Config Log. I can confirm that Windows 11 is up to date on my Legion 05. Any advice as to how I could get the game to read Windows 11? I never had 8 installed as this computer came with 11 installed on it. Graphics are in high quality and game runs great aside from the road detail in map view. I do have an FPS cap at 60 FPS for the game from NVIDIA Control Panel. Anytime I play over 60 FPS the laptop makes quite a bit of noise. 

Message 12 of 18 (632 Views)

@iyoung91  Sims 3 was out of development by the beginning of 2014, so it doesn't recognize anything past Windows 8.  This is not indicative of a problem and has no practical effect.

For the roads issue, try playing in a clean boot:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows-da2f9573-6eec-00ad-...

When you reboot, go through the Task Manager's background processes list shutting down anything that doesn't absolutely need to be running, so basically anything that isn't from Microsoft, Nvidia, or AMD.  (Examples of inessential software would be MSI Afterburner and anything from Razer.)  If you accidentally kill the wrong process and it doesn't restart on its own, just reboot your computer.

And if you do see a process restarting on its own after you've ended it, note what it is so you can circle back later—the clean boot might do the trick, but if not, anything that insists on restarting itself may need to be uninstalled, at least temporarily.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 13 of 18 (614 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@iyoung91 Your computer is using the latest version of the Windows operating system from Microsoft. The problem with Windows 11 is the requirements for Windows 11 eliminated most older computer systems. Windows 11 requires TPM 2.0 (trusted platform module) and Secure Boot. Most older computers don't have these features and are excluded from running Windows 11. Also Widows 11 home users MOST have internet connectivity AND a Microsoft account. There are other requirements that are lesser importance. This is Microsoft's way of saying if your computer is more then a few years old you had better buy a new computer IF you want to run the later version of the Windows operating system, This is like the 800 pound guerrilla telling you what it wants you to do. Your computer is fine. There are rumors that the next version (Windows 12?) may come out in 2024. Didn't Microsoft say Windows 10 was going to be the last version - hm.... Going from Windows 10 to Windows 11 isn't as easy as upgrading your computer. Many people are upset as they bought a fairly new computer only to find out it will not run Windows 11 (myself included). Your dxdiag indicates that there is issues with updates. Windows 11 has had issues since it's introduction many of which have been corrected by updates. While there are ways around the hardware requirements that would violate the EULA (end user license agreement). You do not own the software (Windows 11 operating system). What you are paying for in the cost of your computer is a license to use the software. I am at present building a computer that will run Windows 11 JUST so I can troubleshoot other peoples computers. Now Microsoft is telling me I have too many computers - what!!! Is Microsoft telling me it can't spy on me because i have more then ten computers? Until the Microsoft gods tell me I can have another computer I can't activate the new Windows 11 computer. That's ok because I need some parts I ordered that were supposed to be here in 3 days and that was a month and a half ago.

Message 14 of 18 (595 Views)

★★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict , I'll try this. Have you heard of 4GB patches? Is that something you would also recommend trying? 

Message 15 of 18 (534 Views)

@iyoung91  The 4 GB patches floating around are for 32-bit apps that are programmed to only use 2 GB RAM: the patch makes them large-address aware, meaning they have access to the full 4 GB of memory addresses that are possible in 32-bit.  Sims 3 is already large-address aware and has been since 2010.  So applying the patch wouldn't do anything at best, and at worst, it might break your install in some way.

Message 16 of 18 (526 Views)

★★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict Sorry for such a lapse in response. I just got the Seasons expansion pack, and now all my world maps are in pristine quality, the roads are in high definition. As long as I play with that expansion pack enabled, it solved the issue. What a weird issue, but that fixed it! 

Message 17 of 18 (370 Views)

@iyoung91  That is an extremely weird outcome, but good to know and even better to hear.

Message 18 of 18 (361 Views)