Many files under The Sims 3 folder

by EmilieHak

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Many files under The Sims 3 folder

★★★ Novice

Hi so im just wondering if i need all of those files under all the yellow folders? Do i have to remove them or do i need them?

Message 1 of 3 (1,546 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Many files under The Sims 3 folder

@EmilieHak  Most of those files are either useless or will regenerate as necessary, but there are a few you might not want to delete.  These are:

• options: This file holds all of your game settings, from graphics to lifespan to allowed pets and occults.  If you delete it, you'll need to redo all your changes.
  • userPresets: This holds any recolors you've saved while using Create a Style.  If you delete it, all the recolored clothing and objects will keep their designs, but you'll need to manually copy or recreate them if you want to apply them to something else.
  • The scripterrors are mod output and can safely be deleted.  However, if you need help troubleshooting your mods at some point, you'll want to upload the last few scripterrors for people to read.  The game folder will only keep the last 10-12 of them and ditch the older ones, so you don't have to worry about them building up.

I have no idea why ChallengeData is sitting there; it's supposed to be inside a folder in Downloads.  Since the game replaces it when necessary though, I think it's fine to delete it.  You may want to hold off if you're in the middle of collecting badges, but I'd think your progress would be stored in the correct ChallengeData instead.

The xcpt files are crash logs and are generally useless.  They'll keep building up unless you delete them.

Sims3LauncherLogFile and Sims3Logs can definitely be deleted; I've checked.  The deviceconfig is just output of your hardware and game options and gets rewritten any time you launch the game.

As far as I can tell, no one knows what tslus.bin is for.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 2 of 3 (1,534 Views)

All Replies

@EmilieHak  Most of those files are either useless or will regenerate as necessary, but there are a few you might not want to delete.  These are:

• options: This file holds all of your game settings, from graphics to lifespan to allowed pets and occults.  If you delete it, you'll need to redo all your changes.
  • userPresets: This holds any recolors you've saved while using Create a Style.  If you delete it, all the recolored clothing and objects will keep their designs, but you'll need to manually copy or recreate them if you want to apply them to something else.
  • The scripterrors are mod output and can safely be deleted.  However, if you need help troubleshooting your mods at some point, you'll want to upload the last few scripterrors for people to read.  The game folder will only keep the last 10-12 of them and ditch the older ones, so you don't have to worry about them building up.

I have no idea why ChallengeData is sitting there; it's supposed to be inside a folder in Downloads.  Since the game replaces it when necessary though, I think it's fine to delete it.  You may want to hold off if you're in the middle of collecting badges, but I'd think your progress would be stored in the correct ChallengeData instead.

The xcpt files are crash logs and are generally useless.  They'll keep building up unless you delete them.

Sims3LauncherLogFile and Sims3Logs can definitely be deleted; I've checked.  The deviceconfig is just output of your hardware and game options and gets rewritten any time you launch the game.

As far as I can tell, no one knows what tslus.bin is for.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 3 (1,535 Views)

★★★ Novice

Thank you so much!

Message 3 of 3 (1,523 Views)