Re: Manually Removing The Sims 4 from the Command Line

by isaac32767

Original Post

Manually Removing The Sims 4 from the Command Line

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

NOTE: THIS ADVICE IS ADVANCED TROUBLESHOOTING THAT MUST BE PERFORMED CORRECTLY.
PLEASE ONLY ATTEMPT TO MAKE CHANGES TO THE REGISTRY IF YOU ARE VERY CONFIDENT IN YOUR TECHNICAL SKILLS!

There's a good explanation of how to manually uninstall The Sims 4 here. This happens to be the only way to work around the [redacted] bug that makes TS4 think that Origin isn't running. The problem happens often enough I decided I needed to be able to do it from the command line. Enter the following commands from an Administrator command line:

rmdir /s  "\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 4"
regedit /e %userprofile%\Desktop\fullbackup.reg
reg delete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Maxis\The Sims 4"
reg delete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{48EBEBBF-B9F8-4520-A3CF-89A730721917}"

This is the 64-bit Windows version. If you don't know what that means, you shouldn't mess with this stuff. If you do know, the changes for 32-bit Windows should be obvious.

Note that I have not tested this as a script, only by copying the commands into an elevated command window.

(CM: Edited to add disclaimer. Don't mess with the registry unless you're quite confident in your technical skills)

Message 1 of 3 (799 Views)

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

Hi @isaac32767

Thanks for taking the time to share what worked for you to help others out.

Real quick, if ever sharing advise that sends people to make changes to the registry, could you add a call out for other readers so they are aware of the risks please? Some players won't be technically strong in their knowledge and a lot of players won't have heard of the regsitry before or be aware of the damage they can do to their pc if they meddle with it. 😅 Making a wrong move in the registry can cause a lot of harm so a disclaimer goes a long way. To that end I've included a big red banner to your post so they can't miss the call out and a wee note at the bottom also for good measure. Thumbs up

For future readers, before following these steps, keep this in mind:

• Don't mess with the registry if you don't know what you are doing.
  • This only works when Sims 4 is in the default location.
  • This will create a backup of your registry on your Desktop
  • If you don't know what this means, then don't try it!!!

Thanks,

EA_Lanna

Lanna.png____________________________________________________________

*Accept as Solution button- If a post answers your question please let us and other players know by hitting this button.
*Me Too button - 'Me Too' helps us track how many players are also experiencing that issue. Definitely make use of this button.
*XP button - Say Kudos and help players 'Level Up' by giving them XP for helpful posts.

Please only DM me if I've asked you to, or in the case of highly sensitive content. General questions/issues/topics are best shared on the forum where others can take part/benefit from the responses/solutions/workarounds

Message 2 of 3 (734 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
@EA_Lanna If you think that registry warning is necessary, OK. But if you add it here, you should add it to the page I linked. My instructions are the same as theirs, only I use the command line, which is faster and less dicey than editing the registry by hand.

Also, I forgot to mention that you have to empty the trash and reboot. A step I forgot to do just now.

WTAF do we have to do this so often?
Message 3 of 3 (580 Views)