Mac Exception Raised Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x00000018 at address 0x00728271. Do you wish to debug it ?

by lewisandrews89

Original Post

Mac Exception Raised Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x00000018 at address 0x00728271. Do you wish to debug it ?

★★★ Newbie

Hi I am having some trouble with my Sims 3 game. I have the base game as well as two expansion packs, High End Loft Stuff and Sims 3 Pets both downloads from the Origin Store. I have a 2013 Macbook Pro, Intel Core i5,  4GB Ram, Intel HD Graphics 4000 and over 300GB of storage left over. I went to play the game today and it all loads fine until I click onto my town, once I click the Play button it takes me to the loading screen where it advertises the other expansion packs and then it quits unexpectedly and says 

Exception Raised 

Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x00000000 at address 0x00000000.
Do you wish to debug it ?

Yes / No

By clicking yes or no it makes absolutely no difference to actually being able to play the game. Other times it says this as well.

Exception Raised 

Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x00000018 at address 0x00728271.
Do you wish to debug it ?

Yes / No

This game worked absolutely fine before, so I have no idea why now it has started playing up. Any help would be highly appreciated, thank you Standard smile

Message 1 of 3 (39,658 Views)

Re: Mac Exception Raised Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x00000018 at address 0x00728271. Do you wish to debug it ?

Champion (Retired)

Hi!

Unfortuantely this happens to large numbers of Mac simmers. Although the most recent patch did improve the performance of TS3 on Mac OS X, it didn't fix this problem. At the moment my game is running pretty well, but I still get the dreaded exception raised problem from time to time.

Choosing either Yes or No makes no difference. Whichever you pick, the game will close.  There's a fairly big thread (and many small ones) over on the forums:

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/48717.page

Have you tried purging your RAM? It makes a big difference. BluebellFlora has a guide on her website about how to do this.  There is updated information there if you have upgraded your operating system to Mavericks (as you have to do something slightly different) but there is also information on how to purge RAM for other versions of the OS:

http://bluebellflora.com/the-sims-3-on-a-mac/resetting-ram-during-gameplay/

When I open TS3 launcher, I watch on Activity Monitor and see the amount of free RAM plumet. So then I purge the RAM before pressing Play on the Launcher.  Once I'm past the startup screen, I press cmd-return to make the game go into windowed mode. That way I can keep an eye on Activity Monitor while the game loads.  While I'm actually playing, I like to be in fullscreen mode, but occasionally I go into windowed, check the RAM, purge if necessary using Terminal, then go back into windowed.  I also turn to windowed mode while saving (so if it freezes, I can force quit) and before going into CAS (as that is a common time for it to crash).

Message 2 of 3 (39,592 Views)

Re: Mac Exception Raised Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x00000018 at address 0x00728271. Do you wish to debug it ?

★★ Apprentice

Hey there,

By looking at the specs of your Mac, I can say that it is not the best model of MacBook Pro that you can play the game with. Intel Core i5, 300 GB of storage and 4GB of RAM are OK, but not your Intel HD Graphics card. To play the game properly, you need a discrete graphics card, which is NVIDIA GeForce graphics cards in this case. Looking at your graphics card, I believe you have a 13" computer?

Unfortunately, all the hardware in your Mac are built-in, which means you are stuck with what you have and there is no way to change them but buying a new computer. 

However, I have some steps that you can try:

1. Run the game under low graphics. Your computer's specs can only handle low graphics. You can change the settings while The Sims 3 is open.

2. Delete all the cache files. Some files may be corrputed and deleting them will force the game re-create them. A link to tell you how to do that is here: https://help.ea.com/article/how-to-clear-your-cache-for-the-sims-3-on-a-mac

3. Do you have any mods or custom content installed? If yes, some may be out-of-date and may be conflicting with the game. Try deleting the mods or moving them out of your Mods folder to your desktop temporarily and then run the game. If your game runs properly, then there is definitely something wrong with the mods.

I hope any of these works.

Good luck and tell me if your issue is resolved or have any questions.

Message 3 of 3 (39,591 Views)