Re: [MAC] Sims 3 won't play, and the installer window won't work either

by enyaleigh

Original Post

[MAC] Sims 3 won't play, and the installer window won't work either

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

I am able to open the launcher (most of the time), but when I hit play the screen simply goes black and stays that way, as if it's about to start but it never does, no matter how long I wait. The default cursor doesn't even change to the usual larger sims-blue cursor. And when I try to install new custom content, the installer window opens but also remains black and doesn't load

The only recent changes I've made since it last worked is install World Adventures and fixed my custom content packages folders to be in the right place. Is this due to an overload, maybe? Or perhaps due to me playing from an external hard drive? I haven't had issues with it in the past (aside from having to keep graphics very low), though I've heard it's really not recommended. 

Any questions about equipment/software or suggestions involving technical faffing about will need to be explained in layman's terms, please and thank you. Seriously, I'll have no idea what you're talking about or how to find what you're talking about otherwise. 

Message 1 of 8 (293 Views)

Re: Sims 3 won't play, and the installer window won't work either

Hero

Could you post your Computer's DxDiag?

To gather a DxDiag on your computer, please follow the steps here: http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-3/HOW-TO-DxDiag-for-Sims-3-PC-Only/td-p/1049584/

You can attach the txt file to your post directly.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 8 (279 Views)

★★★ Novice

Thank you for your reply, Crin - though that would be the other thing I forgot to add; I run from a Macbook air. The link you gave me only caters to PC. Is there an Apple equivalent to a DxDiag that I can find? 

Message 3 of 8 (270 Views)

Hero

I'll forward this to a mac helper then :D

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 4 of 8 (260 Views)

@enyaleigh

What Mac do you have? Click on the Apple icon in the top left corner of your desktop and select About This Mac. Please provide the following information (you may need to click on More Info depending on what operating system you're running:

- Operating System (Version)
- Mac model
- Processor
- Memory (RAM)
- Graphics

- Are you running any antivirus?
- Do you have Time Machine/Spotify/Dropbox or similar running?

- Are you patched up to date? You should be on patch level 1.67
- What Expansion and Stuff Packs do you have installed?

Please read the stickied Mac help thread and try the suggestions for troubleshooting under the Primary things to try first heading, specifically deleteing the cache files and moving out the Sims 3 folder if it is still not working.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 5 of 8 (241 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Macbook Air 13 inch, mid 2013

Version 10.9.5

Processor 1.3 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory 4GB 1600 MHz DDR3 (though I keep all my sims folders on an external terabyte hard drive)

Graphics Intel HD Graphics 5000 1024 MB

I don't have any antivirus software installed, no. I don't use Time Machine or Drop Box, but I do have Spotify - though I don't have it running at the same time I try to open sims. 

The last time I checked my patch was after a recent install of new CC, so I needed to update it, but it wouldn't let me. The window kept having issues and would freeze. 

Packs I have installed are:
Ambitions

Generations

Island Paradise

Late Night

Pets
Seasons

Supernatural

University Life
World Adventures

Katy Perry Sweet Treats

Diesel Stuff

High End Loft Stuff

Master Suite Stuff

Outdoor Living Stuff

Thank you for the thread link - I'll get started on that now and let you know how I go. 

Message 6 of 8 (234 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

I tried removing the Sims 3 folder and starting from scratch. My launcher popped up without causing a fit which was a nice surprise, and the game started off smoothly. I was able to create a new sim, though the music cut out after I'd finished making an everyday outfit and I usually take that as a bad sign, so I quickly finished without doing the rest of the outfits and tried to play with the sim. I was able to use build/buy mode easily, and even edit town mode. I was able to play for nearly an hour, before it crashed. The screen went black, my external disc drive started fussing, and when I tried to command+tab to switch windows, the screen glitched out, going half black, half magnified desktop. I ended up forcing the laptop to shut down and restart. 

Trying to play with the original sims 3 folder after having deleted the cache files as suggested didn't change anything. The screen remained black. 

Message 7 of 8 (229 Views)

@enyaleigh

So the problem is in your user data (the folder you moved out), most likely erroneous CC. It would be a good idea to start a clean game with a clean TS3 folder again. Patch it using the manual super patch (link in my signature below) and then add your CC back in bit by bit, testing after each bit to see if the game still works. Then you can moving your Saves back too. 

Playing off an external HD is never a good idea as they are slower than your internal storage so that won't be helping. 

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 8 of 8 (215 Views)