[MAC] Sims 3 glitchy display issues - HELP

by kkiselmo

Original Post

[MAC] Sims 3 glitchy display issues - HELP

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

My Sims 3 game is having major display issues. Buttons, boxes and on screen controls disappear after a few minutes of gameplay. The colours change and become inverted and the game flickers, freezes and I cannot minimize it into a window so to exit my frozen game I have to restart my laptop. The resolution of my sims game is also extremely poor and tattoos, fabrics and terrain is blurry and pixely and cannot be made out properly. I cannot change my resolution higher on the options screen because my game will flicker and crash, and leaving the resolution low does not fix any of these in-game problems. I use Sims 3 on my apple macbook pro with retina display, and I have attached pictures below showing some of my game problems. Any and all help is appreciated. 

Picture one: http://imgur.com/m5YYYOo 
Shows 2 of my sims combined in sim maker, unknown why and how it happened

Picture 2: http://imgur.com/H6A8k9A

Shows inverted coloured sim with glitchy and missing buttons

Picture 3: http://imgur.com/TOYo1fS

Missing boxes around buttons and such

Picture 4: http://imgur.com/0AAJ3tM

Inverted colour sim

Picture 5: http://imgur.com/OmSaCRL

Glitchy, flickering, blurry map. Had to hold down power button and restart computer

Message 1 of 7 (2,411 Views)

Re: [MAC] Sims 3 glitchy display issues - HELP

Hi @kkiselmo,

Those are weird issues, but let's see how we can help you. First of all, I need more info about your Mac.

Click on the Apple icon in the top left corner of your desktop and select About This Mac. Please provide the following information (you may need to click on "More Info" depending on what operating system you're running:

- Operating System (Version)
- Mac model
- Processor
- Memory (RAM)
- Graphics

- Are you running any antivirus?
- Do you have Time Machine/Spotify/Dropbox or similar running?

- Do you use CC/Mods? If so, have you tried removing them and seeing if that fixes your problem?

========
XP = "Thank you!" / "¡Gracias!"
"Accept as solution" = "This solved my problem!" / "¡Esto ha solucionado el problema!"
Please note I don't work for EA, I'm just a player like you, trying to help other players. / Ten en cuenta que no trabajo para EA, solo soy un jugador tratando de ayudar a otros jugadores.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

No trabajo para EA, solo soy un jugador tratando de ayudar a otros jugadores. No respondo mensajes privados, Permite que otros puedan beneficiarse de la información.

I don't work for EA, I'm just a player like you, trying to help other players. I do not reply private messages.

Message 2 of 7 (2,386 Views)

★ Novice

Thank you for trying to help me out @fons_garmo, 

Here is the information about my mac you asked for:

Version 10.10.4 

Mac model Retina, 13-inch late 2013

Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory (RAM) 4GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics Intel Iris 1536 MB

I am not currently running any anti-virus programmes and never have on my mac. 

I do not use time machine (have not enabled) and i do not use Spotify, although I do have dropbox. I have tried to get rid of dropbox before but it didn't work. I haven't used any mods or CC. 

I hope that helps Standard smile 

Message 3 of 7 (2,381 Views)

@kkiselmo

As @Bluebellflora advised here your issues are caused by Intel Iris Grpahics, TS3 have lots of issues with that chip becasuse it's not officially supported. You can try turning all your graphic settings to the lowest and see if that helps. Your game will look horrible but you should be able to play. Now you can try to edge some of the graphics settings up a bit to make it look nicer - you may need to make decisions on which things matter most to you.

Also, please check that your game is updated to the latest version, wich is 1.67.

========
"Accept as solution" = "This solved my problem!" / "¡Esto ha solucionado el problema!"
Please note I don't work for EA, I'm just a player like you, trying to help other players. / Ten en cuenta que no trabajo para EA, solo soy un jugador tratando de ayudar a otros jugadores.

No trabajo para EA, solo soy un jugador tratando de ayudar a otros jugadores. No respondo mensajes privados, Permite que otros puedan beneficiarse de la información.

I don't work for EA, I'm just a player like you, trying to help other players. I do not reply private messages.

Message 4 of 7 (2,377 Views)

★ Novice

Ok thank you very much Standard smile But I'm just a little confused, I've played sims 3 on my mac for a long time now, and ive had the graphics on sims at a good level and it has played fine before. This has only become a recent problem. Why would that be do you think? I appreciate all your help very much, thank you!!

Message 5 of 7 (2,367 Views)

@kkiselmo

Have you recently updated OS X or any software installed on your Mac?

You can also try a game reset. To do it:

-Go to Documents\Electronic Arts and drag "The Sims 3" folder to desktop.

-Start the game. You won't see your save games, but don't worry, they're save in the desktop. Play and game and check if the problem persists. Tell me the result in order to proceed Confusedmileyhappy:

========

Message 6 of 7 (2,358 Views)

@kkiselmo

Have you installed any additional EPs/SPs lately? What EPs/SPs do you have installed? I've read a few reports that Intel Iris users can possibly be ok with just the base game, patched up to 1.67. Pets and Seasons are the the ones to cause the most problems, especially for Macs with integrated graphics.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 7 of 7 (2,346 Views)