Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

[MAC] Issues with Starting Game

by JenniferCosta
Reply

Original Post

Accepted Solution

[MAC] Issues with Starting Game

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

I installed the Sims 3 onto my MAC and the game loads, however, once I get to the screen where I can choose a sim or create a sim, the game crashes. I don't know why. My MAC has all the correct specifications. I just don't understand what the problem is. Does any one have any tips?

Message 1 of 13 (535 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: [MAC] Issues with Starting Game

Champion (Retired)

It's difficult to know what else to suggest, to be honest. I think your digital download may not be working properly because there could be leftover files from the disc version. You could try BluebellFlora's clean uninstall instructions again (linked previously) and try to be really sure that you have found and deleted all of the stray transgaming files.

 

It might be quicker than waiting for customer services!

View in thread

Message 12 of 13 (239 Views)

All Replies

Re: [MAC] Issues with Starting Game

Champion (Retired)

@JenniferCosta wrote:

I installed the Sims 3 onto my MAC and the game loads, however, once I get to the screen where I can choose a sim or create a sim, the game crashes. I don't know why. My MAC has all the correct specifications. I just don't understand what the problem is. Does any one have any tips?


Hi

 

Is this just the base game or do you have expansions installed as well? How much RAM does your Mac have and are you resetting it manually (see tips below)? Have you patched the game up-to-date?

 

Caspin

 

Tips!

 

Unfortunately a lot of TS3 players encounter problems when playing the game on their Mac. These can include crashing and freezing. A lot of these issues can be avoided or at least improved by the following measures.

Firstly, manually reset your RAM while playing. See BluebellFlora's guide on how to do this: http://bluebellflora.com/the-sims-3-on-a-mac/resetting-ram-during-gameplay/

I restart my computer before I play TS3. The memory used as seen in Activity Monitor is at about 3GB after the restart. If I open the Launcher it goes up to around 11 GB (that's all I've done - just opened the Launcher!). At this point I reset the RAM. Then I hit play and get through the opening sequence. I then press cmd-return to put the game in windowed mode from time to time while playing (and always before saving or using CAS). That way I can keep an eye on the memory and reset RAM if necessary. Being in windowed mode also allows you to close the game using force quit if it freezes up - it's better to crash the game than your whole computer.

Second tip is to save frequently. I save at least once per sim day. Use the option to Save or Save As, rather than the combined Save and Quit.

Make sure you are patched up to date. The 1.63 patch included fixes for Mac simmers that did actually improve the stability of the game on our operating systems, so it is well worth updating to at least that level. The current patch is 1.67.

Message 2 of 13 (515 Views)

Re: [MAC] Issues with Starting Game

★★ Novice

I have only installed the base model. My MAC has 4 gigs of RAM. No I havn't been manually reset the RAM. And I did all of the updates and patches that poped up after the installation. I will try manually reseting the RAM. Thank you for your response. :-)

Message 3 of 13 (510 Views)

Re: [MAC] Issues with Starting Game

Champion (Retired)

OK, good luck. Resetting the RAM may help you. Just double-check next time you open the Launcher that your patch number is 1.67.

 

Let us know if you need more help.

Message 4 of 13 (500 Views)

Re: [MAC] Issues with Starting Game

★★ Novice

Well, it turns out that supposedly it has to do with the MAC not recognising my disc, and their solution is to delete a couple of files. The problem now is that it still doesn't t recognize my disc even though I deleted them. I I've now been told to run the "disk utility" and possibly clear it. But this apparently takes about an hour. Have you done this? And if so, did it help? Thank you for helping me! :-)

Message 5 of 13 (495 Views)

Re: [MAC] Issues with Starting Game

Champion (Retired)

@JenniferCosta wrote:

Well, it turns out that supposedly it has to do with the MAC not recognising my disc, and their solution is to delete a couple of files. The problem now is that it still doesn't t recognize my disc even though I deleted them. I I've now been told to run the "disk utility" and possibly clear it. But this apparently takes about an hour. Have you done this? And if so, did it help? Thank you for helping me! :-)


Hi

 

When you try to play but it then crashes, does it give you a message box that says something along the lines of "your disc authenticity could not be verified" or similar? 

 

You can try running disk utility but I don't know if it will help you. In general EA do not offer much Mac support beyond some very basic hardware checks, which are rarely the issue. Do you know which files they told you to delete?

 

If I were you I would consider uninstalling the disc version and installing the digital download version instead. Then it will not longer require the disc to run. This would not cost you any money - you can register the game code from inside your disc box and then download for free. I have pasted more detailed instructions on a clean uninstall followed by use of Origin below. However before you do that you may want to try following the advice under "primary things to try first" on the main Mac help thread, as this would allow you to "reset" your game folder without having to reinstall everything:

 

http://bluebellflora.com/how-to-play-the-sims-3-on-a-mac/

 

Clean uninstall instructions

 

When you uninstall TS3 games on your Mac using the uninstaller, the game leaves behind stray files and isn't completely removed from your computer. These files may conflict with future installations. It is best to completely remove them. BluebellFlora's website provides a guide on how to do this:

http://bluebellflora.com/the-sims-3-on-a-mac/how-to-do-a-clean-uninstall-and-reinstall-on-a-mac/

After cleanly uninstalling, install the base game and patch it up to date. If you cannot update via the Launcher, download and apply the latest cumulative manual patch (called the superpatch) for Mac.

Check that your game works properly. Then install any EPs and SPs that you own, in order of release date.


To download and install games through Origin:

Download and install the Origin client for Mac and make sure it is up-to-date. If you already have Origin on your Mac but are having problems with downloading or installing games, delete the client and download a new copy (this sometimes fixes issues with downloading). The latest version can be downloaded from here: http://www.dm.origin.com/mac/download

Additional advice on how to download games (thank you Tremayne for this tip):
When downloading from Origin, do NOT use the first install icon. Move your cursor over the game cover and click on the information (letter i) and then click on the install button from there. For some reason, downloads from Origin frequently become corrupted. Using the i reduces the chance of your download being corrupted. If you have already been unfortunate and have a corrupted download, then it is important to remove all traces of this before trying again, by doing a thorough, clean uninstallation first.

Are you running anti-virus software or any clean-up applications? If so, disable these, as they might be deleting files that Origin needs. A fast, stable internet connection will also help you.

Message 6 of 13 (489 Views)

Re: [MAC] Issues with Starting Game

★★ Novice

Yes! That is the message I get. When i first posted the question, I hadn't recieved that message, it would just crash, but I looked at the RAM like you suggested and had my husband adjust it, and that seemed to stop the crashing. Now I am getting that message and still can't play. I am going to take your advise and try to download it instead of using the game disc. Thank you for your help!

Message 7 of 13 (476 Views)

Re: [MAC] Issues with Starting Game

Champion (Retired)

@JenniferCosta wrote:

Yes! That is the message I get. When i first posted the question, I hadn't recieved that message, it would just crash, but I looked at the RAM like you suggested and had my husband adjust it, and that seemed to stop the crashing. Now I am getting that message and still can't play. I am going to take your advise and try to download it instead of using the game disc. Thank you for your help!


 

OK, good luck with your Origin install. Make sure you really do a clean uninstall first, to avoid any future problems. Let us know how it goes.

Message 8 of 13 (463 Views)

Re: [MAC] Issues with Starting Game

★★ Novice

Well I contacted EA Help again last night becase I couldn't download it on the account I am currently using. I apparently made a new account when EA became Origin. Anyway, I was given an entirely new (downloadable) version of the game. I registered it and went to play it, and now every time I try to play, it asks me to load the game disc!! WTH? So now I get to wait another HOUR in order to talk to someone at EA AGAIN!!! I don't know why they make this game so MAC unfriendly. Its so frustrating. 

Message 9 of 13 (460 Views)

Re: [MAC] Issues with Starting Game

Champion (Retired)

@JenniferCosta wrote:

Well I contacted EA Help again last night becase I couldn't download it on the account I am currently using. I apparently made a new account when EA became Origin. Anyway, I was given an entirely new (downloadable) version of the game. I registered it and went to play it, and now every time I try to play, it asks me to load the game disc!! WTH? So now I get to wait another HOUR in order to talk to someone at EA AGAIN!!! I don't know why they make this game so MAC unfriendly. Its so frustrating. 


 

Hi

 

Yes, I know, it's terribly frustrating isn't it!

 

Normally when you get that message about a disc even though you are using digital, it means that there is a stray file left behind from the disc-based installation. I don't know if EA will be able to assist you, as only you can clear those files off your computer. They may have other advice, but in the meantime make sure that you look for the transgaming files as described in BluebellFlora's guide and get rid of them all before you start using Origin.

 

http://bluebellflora.com/the-sims-3-on-a-mac/how-to-do-a-clean-uninstall-and-reinstall-on-a-mac/

Message 10 of 13 (457 Views)
Twitter Stream