Re: [MAC] Bought the Sims 3 on CD, then bought the SIms 3 Pets on origin--still asks for CD

by caspinwall

Original Post

[MAC] Bought the Sims 3 on CD, then bought the SIms 3 Pets on origin--still asks for CD

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Hey!

So my Mac's CD reader has died, meaning I can't play the Sims 3 anymore as I obviously need the CD to play.

I bought a sims expansion on origin hoping I would be able to continue playing without a CD, but it keeps asking me for the CD of another expansion.

I already owned the Sims 3, Ambitions, Night Life and University, and purchased Pets Life on Origin. 

It keeps asking me for the University CD, though I've downloaded and installed Pets Life.

I've redeemed my University code onto origin to try and play through that, but when I click 'play' through origin it still asks me for the CD, and I can't seem to download it off origin either.

Sorry for the convoluted explanation, just really want to play some sims ):

Message 1 of 6 (190 Views)

Re: Bought the Sims 3 on CD, then bought the SIms 3 Pets on origin--still asks for CD

[ Edited ]
★★★ Pro

If you mix CD and Download you still have to play with CD. The only way to avoid this is to remove your CD versions manually off your computer and then go into origin to replace your CD version with download. You get free Download verisons if you register your discs.

EDIT :Oops you have Mac so wait  for a mac helper to help you uninstall

Message 2 of 6 (186 Views)

Re: Bought the Sims 3 on CD, then bought the SIms 3 Pets on origin--still asks for CD

★★★ Newbie

I also thought this--so I've tried redeeming my Sims codes to put onto Origin, but the game codes for my Sims 3 and Ambitions games are being rejected because 'they've already been used'. I didn't get this message when I redeemed the code for my Night Life and University, so I'm really confused.

Message 3 of 6 (181 Views)

★★★ Pro

You have to uninstall the disc versions to use all download versions. There is a certian way to do this on Mac so I posted to the Mac Helper to let them know you needed help and as soon as they come on they will help you.

Message 4 of 6 (178 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Thanks for that (: I'm not really sure what to do about the games whose codes Origin isn't letting me redeem though...

Message 5 of 6 (176 Views)

Re: [MAC] Bought the Sims 3 on CD, then bought the SIms 3 Pets on origin--still asks for CD

Champion (Retired)

Hi

I am the Mac person. First, I have pasted down below some detailed guides on how to uninstall the disc versions of the games from your Mac, as well as some extra information on the best way to use Origin.

The issue with the codes is odd. If you have problems redeeming the codes on Origin then you may need to contact EA Customer Services for help with that, as they will be able to access your account and assist you.

Good luck!

Caspin

Clean uninstall/reinstall instructions

When you uninstall TS3 games on your Mac using the uninstaller, the game leaves behind stray files and isn't completely removed from your computer. These files may conflict with future installations. It is best to completely remove them. BluebellFlora's website provides a guide on how to do this:

http://bluebellflora.com/the-sims-3-on-a-mac/how-to-do-a-clean-uninstall-and-reinstall-on-a-mac/

After cleanly uninstalling, install the base game and patch it up to date. If you cannot update via the Launcher, download and apply the latest cumulative manual patch (called the superpatch) for Mac.

Check that your game works properly. Then install any EPs and SPs that you own, in order of release date.

To download and install games through Origin

Download and install the Origin client for Mac and make sure it is up-to-date. If you already have Origin on your Mac but are having problems with downloading or installing games, delete the client and download a new copy (this sometimes fixes issues with downloading). The latest version can be downloaded from here: http://www.dm.origin.com/mac/download

Additional advice on how to download games (thank you Tremayne for this tip):
When downloading from Origin, do NOT use the first install icon. Move your cursor over the game cover and click on the information (letter i) and then click on the install button from there. For some reason, downloads from Origin frequently become corrupted. Using the i reduces the chance of your download being corrupted. If you have already been unfortunate and have a corrupted download, then it is important to remove all traces of this before trying again, by doing a thorough, clean uninstallation first.

Are you running anti-virus software or any clean-up applications? If so, disable these, as they might be deleting files that Origin needs. A fast, stable internet connection will also help you.

Message 6 of 6 (165 Views)