Re: [MAC Bootcamp] 1.8.61.1020 intro screen UI issue

by tastytourist

Original Post

[MAC Bootcamp] 1.8.61.1020 intro screen UI issue

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

After installing 1.8.61.1020 and removing all user files (i.e. the complete The Sims 4 folder, mods and saves and everything), I was unable to play because the TS4 logo intro video covered up the controls. This was the same no matter whether I used fullscreen, windowed fullscreen or windowed mode.

Screenshot 1 -- when clicking on the notifications list

Screenshot 2 -- when clicking on Game Options

I was able to solve this by installing a No Intro mod that replaces the intro videos with empty AVI files, but it's still a pretty severe issue since not everyone would know that this kind of mod even exists.

This has never happened before installing that patch.

This is on a 15" mid 2014 MacBook Pro (MacBookPro11,3), Nvidia GeForce 750M GT (more details), running Windows 7 Home Premium.

Message 1 of 16 (1,344 Views)

Hero

@tastytourist Moved your thread to general forum for troubleshooting

Did you try right clicking on the game in Origin and hit repair game ?

Also tagging @Bluebellflora to see if she has any ideas

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 16 (1,329 Views)

@tastytourist

Are there Boot Camp updates that need installing from Apple?

Have you tried changing the resolution in Windows?

- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway, shape or form. I'm just a long time Mac user who's been Simming since the beginning -

The Sims 3 Mac Help Thread - | - The Sims 4 Mac Help Thread -

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 3 of 16 (1,315 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Re. updates, I just checked and the only available updates are QuickTime and iTunes security updates -- the QuickTime one deals with "A memory corruption issue existed in the handling of RLE encoded movie files" so doesnt seem particularly relevant. https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT203092

BootCamp is v5.0.3.0; I set up the whole thing in February this year so should be relatively recent.

How do you mean "changing the resolution", you mean of the screen overall? (I did try changing the resolution for the game via options.ini, but the problem remained)

I had Repair-Gamed already in the course of that update (or tried to), that didn't seem to do anything. I mean I clicked on that option and nothing seemed to actually happen .. I dunno what that process would normally look like, would there be a progress or notification dialog?

Message 4 of 16 (1,278 Views)

@tastytourist

Yes, change the resolution in Control Panel. It's worth a try Standard smile @crinrict @SandArcher I think this may be a Windows issue, even though tasty tourist is on a Mac.

- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway, shape or form. I'm just a long time Mac user who's been Simming since the beginning -

AHQSigImage.png
Message 5 of 16 (1,244 Views)

Hero

Never seen this issue, it's really weird.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 6 of 16 (1,242 Views)

@tastytourist when you went through the Boot Camp process, did you install the software from Apple which you downloaded as part of the process? I'm sure you probably did but I'm trying to rule out any Boot Camp issues.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 7 of 16 (1,240 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Not sure what "the software" you mean, the BootCamp assistant? But in any case it was a totally bog standard install, nothing out of the ordinary. Game and everything else have performed fine ever since I set it up.

I can try playing with the resolution next time I get around to it (I'm using the native resolution so far, 2880x1800) .. but I'm not sure resolution is even the heart of the issue here, since I can solve it by removing those AVIs (i.e. replace with empty ones). It appears like the movies are kind of .. not layering properly (are in the foreground, when the UI would actually belong in the foreground), and I'm not sure how a different resolution would affect that.

I think the graphics drivers on BootCamp systems are usually not the most recent ones .. I have v9.18.13.3228 right now (for that NVidia card I mean), dated 24.12.2013 and there is no Update option available (it's greyed out).

Anyhow, just that there's no misunderstandings: I *have* successfully fixed the problem for myself already -- the solution of using that mod works fine with me, since those intro clips aren't particulary exciting anyway so I don't miss them  Wink. I just wanted to report it because for people who don't know about mods it would be a show stopper. But you don't need to spend a lot of time helping me fix an issue I have already fixed =) (although that is certainly very nice of you).

Message 8 of 16 (1,234 Views)

You've got it fixed, sort of, that's the main thing Standard smile

You can upgrade the NVIDIA drivers via the NVIDIA app in Windows. In the bottom right menu bar thingy you should have a green and black NVIDIA icon (I can't remember what it's called sorry!). It's not really advisable but is possible and works fine.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 9 of 16 (1,228 Views)

Hero

I know you reported this as bug but I wanted to see if there's any trouble shooting that can be done first.

Did you see anyone else with this issue around the forums ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 10 of 16 (1,224 Views)