Low fps on good PC

by mrsbunny1003

Original Post

Low fps on good PC

★★★ Novice

Hello, I have a problem with low fps in my game. I had 100+ fps, but now it can drop to 30. My CPU and GPU usage is not at 100% so I don't know why my fps are so low. Disabling mods make no difference. I took a screenshot on new save.

Message 1 of 13 (869 Views)

Re: Low fps on good PC

@mrsbunny1003  Please try playing while your computer is not connected to the internet, as in, disable wifi and/or pull the ethernet cable.  You can login to Origin and then put it in offline mode before disconnecting and launching the game.

If that doesn't help, let me know.  There are a number of errors likely related to your graphics card driver, and it might be necessary to do a clean uninstall.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 13 (856 Views)

★★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict Offline mode makes no difference.
Message 3 of 13 (840 Views)

@mrsbunny1003  Okay, here's how to do a clean uninstall and reinstall of the GPU driver.

First, download Display Driver Uninstaller from here:

https://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2421

You can download a fresh driver here:

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/153944/en-us

Next, take your computer completely offline—disable wifi and/or pull the ethernet cord—and double-click the DDU.exe.  Take note of where the file will land, and click Extract.  If it's easier, you can copy the path and then paste it into the address bar in a File Explorer window.  Open the folder and then Display Driver Uninstaller.exe, and you'll get a message that you're not in Safe Mode.  Click OK, then go to Options and enable Safe Mode dialog.  Here's a screenshot of what your options should look like:

DDU save.png

Close options, and the DDU, and then open the DDU.exe again.  For launch options, choose "Safe Mode (Recommended)," and then click Reboot to Safe Mode (you'll need your password, so find it before rebooting).  Once you login, you'll see this:

DDU GPU.png

Choose GPU in the dropdown menu (step one), then Nvidia (step 2) if it's not already showing.  Then click Clean and Restart (step 3).

Once your computer has rebooted, now back in normal mode, run the driver install .exe in custom mode. Select "perform a clean installation" and install ONLY the GPU driver and the PHYSX software.

Message 4 of 13 (833 Views)

★★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict Thanks, I will try that.
Message 5 of 13 (830 Views)

★★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict That didn't help either. Frown
Message 6 of 13 (811 Views)

@mrsbunny1003  I'm going to ask for a second opinion, and I'll get back to you soon.

Message 7 of 13 (793 Views)

@mrsbunny1003  Do you get crashes in Sims 4, or in other games?  (and which ones)  Are there any patterns to the crashes:  Do they happen right away, or after you've been playing for a long time, or when you do something specific in-game, or use another app, etc.?  Do you play in fullscreen or windowed mode?  Please test the other mode and let me know whether there's a difference.

Please also try a clean boot, and be sure to disable any antivirus/firewall programs (temporarily—just long enough to test).  Be sure to disable MSI Afterburner and RivaTuner Statistics Server as well, if you have either one running.  Here's how to clean boot:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-clean-boot-windows-10

Message 8 of 13 (782 Views)

★★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict I don't get any crashes and all my games run smooth, but now I'm wondering if my hdd can cause this problem. My documents folder and game is on 3TB hdd, should I try moving everything to ssd?
Message 9 of 13 (747 Views)

★★★ Novice
@mrsbunny1003 I forgot to mention that clean boot didn't help
Message 10 of 13 (741 Views)