Re: Lost all my data

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Lost all my data

★★ Novice

Hi,

I've been playing the Sims 4 for a few years now and really like it.

Now I recently downloaded a modification for the first time, and did exactly what I read about it. But when I opened the game after that, all my data was gone and it was like opening the Sims for the first time ever. I immediately removed the modification since I had read that I had to do that if my game suddenly started acting strange after installing a modification. After that it still didn't work so I looked up this problem and found a way to fix my game on this forum by "fixing" my game on Origin and then some other stuff. Now I've found out that in my files all the screen shots and saves I've ever made are still there, thankfully! But every time I open Sims it's still gone and it seems like I've never created any households or houses in the Sims. Does anyone have a solution for this? Do I need to sync my files and Origin with each other? And if you have to, how? Thank you in advance, I am very afraid that I will lose all my households and houses forever... 

Message 1 of 5 (715 Views)

Accepted Solution

@JetJan0809  If you still want to try to recover your old saves, look at where the new saves land and put the old ones there too.  (You can distinguish among save files by their modified dates.)  You can also try recovering the backup copies of those saves, if any exist.  Use the manual method here:

https://sims4.crinrict.com/eng/2014/09/recover-backup-save-game/

On the other hand, if it's not a big deal to you, then don't worry about it.  And yes, definitely make backups, as you said.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 4 of 5 (599 Views)

All Replies

@JetJan0809  Before doing anything else, please make a backup copy of the Sims 4 folder that contains your saves and screenshots.  Ideally you'd store it on an external drive, but you could instead paste the copy elsewhere on your computer for now.  (Just remember where you left it.)

Next, please load the game and find the full file path to the Sims 4 folder it's reading.  Here's how:

https://sims4.crinrict.com/eng/2018/07/how-to-find-your-user-folder/

Compare that to the file path for the saves and screenshots you still have, I mean where you're looking at them now, not the backup you make.  If you're not seeing the full file path, you can right-click on any file or folder and select Properties; the location will be under General.

If the file paths don't match, for example if your saves are in OneDrive, just move them to the folder the game is reading, and they should show up again.

Message 2 of 5 (691 Views)

★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict Hi, and thankyou so much for the help and quick answer! It didn`t work but all this help does just give me motivation to start on new with an fresh game! 😉 And from now I will always make a back-up for everything I will do on The Sims 😊😊
Message 3 of 5 (610 Views)

@JetJan0809  If you still want to try to recover your old saves, look at where the new saves land and put the old ones there too.  (You can distinguish among save files by their modified dates.)  You can also try recovering the backup copies of those saves, if any exist.  Use the manual method here:

https://sims4.crinrict.com/eng/2014/09/recover-backup-save-game/

On the other hand, if it's not a big deal to you, then don't worry about it.  And yes, definitely make backups, as you said.

Message 4 of 5 (600 Views)

★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict Wow, omg! It worked! Thank you so much, I`ve got my old game back by recovering the old files. 😊
Message 5 of 5 (392 Views)