Re: Launcher isn’t loading and when I try to play it just goes black then closes

by gypsygeee

Original Post

Launcher isn’t loading and when I try to play it just goes black then closes

★★★★ Novice

My sims 3 launcher has a problem, I open the sims 3 and on the main page where the people usually are it’s come up with a error message instead, the whole main page of the launcher disappears and just goes blue. I can sill click on downloads and installs and see my items but that’s about it. It won’t let me upload anything new and when I press the play button it goes to load like normal but then closes in less then a minute. 

So my launcher is not loading and when I go to play it also doesn’t load the game.

What do I do?!?

this has happened before and I honestly don’t even know how it became all good again and now it’s happening AGAIN! 

Message 1 of 22 (1,671 Views)

Re: Launcher isn’t loading and when I try to play it just goes black then closes

@gypsygeee  For the launcher issue, try clearing Internet Explorer's cache.  Even if you never use it, the launcher does for some purposes, as does the store, and by extension, the exchange.  Be sure to uncheck the box to preserve data for favorite sites.

Usually, the game not loading wouldn't be related to the launcher issue, so the first troubleshooting steps are a bit different.  Namely, try dragging your entire TS3 game folder out of Documents and onto your desktop.  When you launch the game, provided it launches, a clean folder will spawn with no content.  If you can load a new save using this clean folder, you can copy your saves and other content into it from your existing game folder.  Here is a list (with descriptions) of all the files you'll find in that folder:

https://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2011/01/faq-user-files.html

If you can't launch TS3 even after removing the game folder, take your computer offline and try again.  You can sign into Origin and put it in offline mode, then turn off wifi or unplug the ethernet cable.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 22 (1,614 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to try and help! 

I wasn’t sure how many people would see this or reply but I’m very thankful. 

It seems that deleting the cache worked for the launcher problem! 

And I kinda thought since it’s opening up like normal with the homepage of the application showing, that I would be able to press the play button and all would work like normal but sadly I’m still having a game problem Frown 

now that all my expansion packs are showing up properly and no connection or error message is showing on the welcome page, I press the play button and it goes to load/open the game like usual with a complete black screen but after the (windows plus G =take photo) message comes up, the whole thing closes and origin opens up again. I wish the sims didn’t have these problems. I spend more time googling and trying to fix issues then I actually get to play.

I haven’t tried taking the folder out of documents and on desktop but I will try that now and reply ASAP. I just thought I’d let you know sooner rather then later my progressStandard smile 

ALSO everytime I try to play and it fails I’ve noticed in TS3 folder that right at the bottom are these files starting to build up for no reason and it seems to be 2 days that the game hasn’t worked. Here is a photo, can I delete them.. is it needed? Thanks so much! 

Message 3 of 22 (1,592 Views)

@gypsygeee  Thanks for letting me know about your progress.  Obviously, the big issue is still that the game won't launch, but there are ways to try to fix that.  The files in your photo are just crash logs; all they tell you is that the game crashed.  Other than that, there probably isn't anything useful in them.  You can upload one of the .txt files if you want (I can't open the others), but it's unlikely to help, and you can definitely delete them whenever they spawn.

The one file I would like to see is a dxdiag on your computer.  You can run one and attach it to a post here (use the Browse button).

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

And yes, there are a few of us still trying to help with TS3.  Plenty of people still play, including me, so we try to help each other whenever possible.

Message 4 of 22 (1,589 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Here is the Dxdiag report Standard smile none of it means anything to me but do let me know what your thoughts are

Message 5 of 22 (1,577 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

I was having a bit of trouble following with moving TS3 folder to my desktop, so I tried to stick to what you said...

I went to my documents- electronic arts- the sims 3 folder 

I cut and pasted to my desktop and realised the folder had more in it once I moved to desktop, and tried to start the sims 3 to play and it sill went black then shut almost automatically. So I moved back the folder to electronic arts and now I don’t know if I actually did anything wrong or made it worse? I have no idea why it’s giving ME such trouble! 

I have so much custom content, I really dont want to lose or re download the game just in case everything gets deleted or have to re up load like 1500 things :/ 

Message 6 of 22 (1,572 Views)

@gypsygeee  When you move your TS3 game folder to your desktop, you're not losing any of the files inside, you're just getting them out of the way so that if you have a corrupt file somewhere, it can't cause any issues.  Once the game is running again, you can start transferring everything into your new game folder, including your custom content.

I do see one huge issue in your dxdiag: the MSVCR.dll errors in your error reports (the very last part of the dxdiag).  This .dll is part of a C++ runtime library, and a corrupt version will definitely crash your game.  To fix the issue, you first need to uninstall the old file.  Press Windows key-i and select Applications, and you should see the option.  (I'm not in front of a Windows system right now, so I can't check the exact path, but let me know if you can't find it, and I'll look.)

Next, download and install a new version from Microsoft:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=26347

Message 7 of 22 (1,567 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Love people that know their stuff! 

So with downloading a new Microsoft app... which one do I have to get rid off before downloading the new one?

I have all these other Microsoft Visual C++ 2012,13,15 Redistributable apps as well... 

Is that the C++ library you were talking about? 

I will attach another photo of my Microsoft apps and features so have available, if you can tell me what one I have to delete and if I need all these 11 Microsoft visual thingys. Seems a little extreme. Also with TS3 folder in Electronic arts, is it okay to delete files in DC BACKUP folder? I have around 4000 files in there and once again feel like it a little unnecessary 

Message 8 of 22 (1,552 Views)

★★★★ Novice

While I’m waiting for your response I’m looking at the Microsoft download link you sent (thank you) 

and I saw this message on their page... 

do you think my problem has something to do with their problem? Thanks again!

Message 9 of 22 (1,544 Views)

@gypsygeee  The .dll file that's throwing the errors is part of the 2005 Service Pack 1 library, so that's the one you want to uninstall (the first one listed).  The others can stay, and in fact if you deleted them, you'd need to download a whole bunch of other replacements, which besides being unnecessary would be a huge pain to deal with.  I wouldn't worry too much about the warning on Microsoft's site—I doubt you have any apps on your system old enough to be affected.

As far as DCBackup goes, the only critical file inside is ccmerged.package, which makes your premium store content work.  (Regular store items don't need the file.)  The other files are only necessary if you want to upload your creations to the Exchange and would like your cc to be uploaded as well.  Otherwise, all of those other files can be deleted.

Message 10 of 22 (1,535 Views)