Re: Launcher Won't Install cc or Run The Game.

by Arkidie

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Launcher Won't Install cc or Run The Game.

★★★★ Novice

To clarify I've tried installing through my downloads folder. I use it through Origin. I have the base game, pets, generations, seasons, and supernatural. I have windows 10. I've had this game on Origin for almost a year. Also all my different cc are in all the right folders I quadruple checked.

When I open my launcher all my cc downloads are there, but when I click install "Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device." pops up. I press "yes" that closes, but the installing thing doesn't pop up and the install button turns back to normal.

When I try to press the play button it also brings me the same message "Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device"... When I press "yes" then though what happens instead is the launcher closes. 

About a week ago after I downloaded some cc the launcher didn't come up but instead turned black I completely shut down my computer through the button on my keyboard since it was covering up my entire screen and wouldn't leave. I'm 80% sure this is when my problem started. Please help me.

Message 1 of 7 (2,187 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]

@Arkidie  The dxdiag has all the necessary info, so you're good on that front.  I do need to say that this computer is underpowered for playing TS3.  Your processor is not really strong enough to run the entire game—it can turbo up past the 2.0 GHz minimum and 2.4 GHz recommended speeds, but it's not a good idea to run it so hard all the time.  You also have an integrated graphics card, and not a particularly strong one at that.  I'm not sure which packs you have installed, but the most demanding expansions (Pets, Seasons, then IP and ITF) do really require a dedicated card of sufficient strength.  Your card just isn't built to handle the demands of these EPs.

Having said that, it's not clear that your hardware is causing your immediate issues.  Your dxdiag lists cc magic as a frequent cause of crashing or other problems (the last entries in the dxdiag).  I'm not familiar with how it works, but you might try disabling it temporarily.  If you want to keep playing, the goal is to figure out a way to launch a vanilla game, then see what you can add back.

I'm also wondering if there was some issue with a Windows update, but I'm not the one to be able to figure this out.  If removing cc magic doesn't help, you're going to want to tag roberta591 and ask for his advice.

P.S.  Thanks for noticing my cat.  I like him too.  He, on the other hand, seems unconvinced.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 6 of 7 (2,141 Views)

All Replies

@Arkidie  It sounds like you might have installed some bad cc, or otherwise corrupted your TS3 game folder.  The easiest way to check is to pull the entire folder out of Documents and onto your desktop.  When you launch the game again (if it launches), a clean folder will spawn with no content.  Load a new town and check out CAS and live play, just to make sure everything's working, and then you can quit and go back to sorting through your existing game folder.

If you can't launch the game even in a clean folder, please run a dxdiag and attach the results here using the "browse" button.

https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-3/HOW-TO-DxDiag-PC-Only/m-p/1049584/thread-id/47181

You can try copying the contents of your existing DCCache folder into your new one, along with the ccmerged.package file from DCBackup; this will transfer all of your sims3pack-based store and custom content into your new folder.  If the game still works, then perhaps some other file in the old folder was corrupt, and you can start to copy over your saves, builds, etc. as well, testing each batch of content along the way.

But if the launcher crashes or you can't play with your cc added to the new game folder, you'll need to sort through your .dbc files and try to find the bad item(s).  The .dbc files are bundled cc, so you may have to test each one separately and then go through its contents.  You might even have to ditch that particular bundle and rebuild it from scratch, although your other bundles could be fine.  Crinrict wrote up a very helpful guide on how to get rid of bad cc; scroll down to "Method by Mell":

https://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2011/01/tutorial-how-to-get-rid-of-unwanted-custom-content.html

Message 2 of 7 (2,173 Views)

★★★★ Novice

From the other information you gave me I think I had something missing from my folder before, I still couldn't run the game after putting the sims 3 folder on to my desktop, The file thing you wanted if it didn't work I have I attached it.

Message 3 of 7 (2,164 Views)

★★★★ Novice
I didn't delete the other parts that I deleted that weren't needed I'm sorry I hope that you can still help
Message 4 of 7 (2,157 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Sorry again here in case it's hard to find the right things I forgot to save it as a new file after editing it.

I like your cat

Message 5 of 7 (2,154 Views)

[ Edited ]

@Arkidie  The dxdiag has all the necessary info, so you're good on that front.  I do need to say that this computer is underpowered for playing TS3.  Your processor is not really strong enough to run the entire game—it can turbo up past the 2.0 GHz minimum and 2.4 GHz recommended speeds, but it's not a good idea to run it so hard all the time.  You also have an integrated graphics card, and not a particularly strong one at that.  I'm not sure which packs you have installed, but the most demanding expansions (Pets, Seasons, then IP and ITF) do really require a dedicated card of sufficient strength.  Your card just isn't built to handle the demands of these EPs.

Having said that, it's not clear that your hardware is causing your immediate issues.  Your dxdiag lists cc magic as a frequent cause of crashing or other problems (the last entries in the dxdiag).  I'm not familiar with how it works, but you might try disabling it temporarily.  If you want to keep playing, the goal is to figure out a way to launch a vanilla game, then see what you can add back.

I'm also wondering if there was some issue with a Windows update, but I'm not the one to be able to figure this out.  If removing cc magic doesn't help, you're going to want to tag roberta591 and ask for his advice.

P.S.  Thanks for noticing my cat.  I like him too.  He, on the other hand, seems unconvinced.

Message 6 of 7 (2,142 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Thank you, you helped fix it by telling me about that ccmagic thing I found everything that related to it and deleted it and permanently deleted it from my recycling bin just in case, and it didn't completely fix it, my game would install cc, but running as administrator is what fixed everything else. Thank you for having this go so fast, and for your help.

Message 7 of 7 (2,129 Views)