Re: Laptop recommendations for sims 4

by Bambi0marie

Original Post

Laptop recommendations for sims 4

★★★★★ Newbie

Hi- I understand NOTHING about laptops or laptop terms 

please can anyone suggest laptops (names / links) that are about 400-500£ max? (Uk GBP) 

obviously cheaper would be better 

But want it to run sims 4/ any expansion packs ect I’ll get in the further. 
I don’t want it to overheat either. Thanks 

Message 1 of 5 (392 Views)

@Bambi0marie  For Sims 4, you really only need to worry about a computer's processor and graphics card, or within your budget range, the processor and its integrated graphics chip.  Memory and storage matter, but only in terms of whether the laptop has enough of both (8 GB and 256 or 512 GB, depending on whether you need extra space for other data).  Currently, the best processors in (new) sub-£500 laptops are the Intel i5-1135G7 and the AMD Ryzen 5 5500U.  Both of these can run Sims 4, all current packs included, on medium-high to high graphics settings.

For the former, here are the cheapest good options I found, the first with 256 GB storage and the second with 512 GB.  You don't need the extra storage for Sims 4, but if you'd like to keep a significant amount of other data on the computer as well, you might want to spend a little extra.  In-game performance should be roughly equivalent, plus or minus a few percentage points depending on how the manufacturer tuned the laptops.

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/lenovo-ideapad-3i-14-laptop-intel-core-i5-256-gb-ssd-blue-10228900...

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/156-asus-x515ea-bq943w-fhd-i5-1135g7-8gb-ddr4-512gb-nvme-ssd-intel-i...

For the AMD processors, most of the options I saw were more expensive than the ones above, with the few cheaper ones being of dubious quality.  But there are still quite a few laptops to choose from closer to £500, with both Intel and AMD processors, so if you don't like either of these, let me know why, and I'll list a few more with the features you're looking for.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 5 (347 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Thank you- that’s brilliant!  

overall I prefer the Lenovo one 

the only thing I don’t like- is that it doesn’t have a backlit keyboard 

but everything else seems pretty bang on for what I’m looking for 

thank you for explaining about the space ect I need to run my game. Really appreciate it 

Message 3 of 5 (319 Views)

@Bambi0marie  Would you like me to look for laptops with backlit keyboards?  If so, I can do that, although I didn't see any on my first pass for the same price.  Otherwise, I hope you enjoy this one.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 4 of 5 (293 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

I would prefer one with backlit keyboard. 
if that’s not too much trouble for you to find one? 

I may need to go slightly higher in my budget then- but that’s not too much of an issue 

the Lenovo one is definitely a contender 

Message 5 of 5 (286 Views)