Re: Laptop for Sims 4

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

Laptop for Sims 4

★ Novice

I need a new laptop for playing the Sims 4. I don't understand a Lot about the technical stuff but I thought this computer might do well: 

OMEN 17-cb1273ng (17,3 Zoll / FHD IPS 144Hz) Gaming Laptop (Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB HDD, 512GB SSD, Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 8GB GDDR6, WiFi6, Bluetooth 5, Windows 10) 

Maybe someone could give me their opinion If this would work?

I don't want to only meet the minimal requirements since I'd like the game to run smoothly and I hope this computer might also hold up for the upcoming sims 5.

Message 1 of 4 (360 Views)

@0180051988  That laptop is over the top for Sims 4, not that it's a bad thing.  For Sims 5, it's anyone's guess, but I'd expect the game to be less demanding than Sims 4 for at least the first two years or so, partly because it won't have all the packs and partly because EA wouldn't want to exclude players on lower-end systems.  A couple years after release, you might be thinking about a new laptop anyway given the average lifespan, plus the available options then would likely both significantly more powerful and significantly cheaper than this model.  So it's not necessarily a worthwhile investment to spend the extra money now.

If you're looking for other options, an Nvidia 3060 should run Sims 4 on ultra settings with plenty of room to spare as well.  It's almost as fast as a 2070, but it's newer and usually cheaper.  Even a 1660 or 2060 should have no problem with ultra settings no matter how much custom content you installed.

Having said that, if you like this laptop for other reasons, it's a perfectly good choice and should run Sims 4 as well as is reasonably possible.  The disclaimer is of course that Sims 4 itself will have fps drops on any system, it just can't be avoided at this stage, and more powerful hardware only helps up to a point

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 4 (330 Views)

★ Novice

Thanks for the advice! Do I understand correctly that Nividia 3060 always runs on Windows 11? I think Windows 11 is problematic with Sims 4?

If I could get a cheaper laptop that allows me to play Sims 4 with high speed and at least no technical limits, I definitely would like to save some money. Do you by any chance have any suggestions regarding a specific laptop?

Message 3 of 4 (298 Views)

@0180051988  There are plenty of laptops with a 3060 that come with Windows 10 pre-installed.  But Windows 11 runs Sims 4 just fine most of the time.  When I've seen OS-related issues, they've almost always been on systems that either don't support Windows 11 at all or that are already borderline for running Sims 4.  So while I wouldn't suggest someone upgrade to 11 if offered a choice, because why risk it when the current OS works fine, I also wouldn't say that anyone needs to avoid systems with 11 pre-installed.

As for specific examples, I'd need to know which country you're in because prices can vary quite a bit from one region to another.  But if you live in Germany (I see a "17,3 Zoll" there), this is an example of a very-reasonably-priced and pretty good laptop with a 3060, and also Windows 10:

https://www.mediamarkt.de/de/product/_acer-nitro-5-an515-55-545s-2713117.html

If you're looking for a high-quality laptop that isn't overly expensive, there are a lot of potential options, and it can be more about what's available and cheap in a store you're willing to buy from.  For example, Lenovo Legions, MSI Katanas, Gigabyte laptops with AMD processors (the cheaper models with Intel CPUs run a little hot, at least this generation), and HP and XMG laptops are all good options that don't cost a lot more, and while one model might be a little better than another in a given year, none is so much better that it's worth paying an extra 200€.

If you do happen to be in Germany, there are a lot of options listed here:

https://www.notebooksbilliger.de/notebooks/gaming+notebooks/page/1?box_25688_1597%5B%5D=15613707&per...

Many of them don't come with Windows, but installing it yourself is trivial and only requires a USB stick and temporary access to a computer that's already running Windows 10.  Depending on the price of a Windows 10 key, which you can often find for cheap if you're buying a very old install medium, it might be less expensive to buy the model you want with no OS and install Widnows yourself.

If you're in another country, or if you're in Germany but are picky about where you shop, just list the stores you'd consider buying from, and I'll take a look for you.  The language doesn't make a difference—all the relevant information is easy enough to find anyway.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 4 of 4 (286 Views)