Lagging graphics

by annettespag74

Original Post

Lagging graphics

★ Novice

Hi  everyone.  I've downloaded Sims 3 after 8 years of non-play.  I purchased a new laptop.  The spec is Intel I7, 8GB ram and the graphics card is Intel Iris (R).  The basic game is lagging a few mins into play.  Sims get stuck for a few seconds, but the background music continues to play.  The graphics options are all on low setting within the game and I haven't added any expansion packs yet.

I used to play this on my old laptop 10 years ago without any of these issues.  Any help appreciated - I had downloaded Sims 4 before going back to Sims 3 but it kept sticking and I had to shut the laptop down.

Help!

Message 1 of 7 (505 Views)

Re: Lagging graphics

@annettespag74  Please run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

Please also let me know which packs you've installed, and what world(s) you're currently playing in.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 7 (485 Views)

★ Novice

Hi.  Thank you for the quick reply.  Please see diag attached.  I am currently running Sims3 only in Sunset Valley.  I haven't added any expansion or stuff packs yet.  

Cheers!

Message 3 of 7 (473 Views)

@annettespag74  Are you playing with the laptop plugged in?  While it's on battery, your processor will try to downclock as much as possible, and when it does so, it may run too slowly for Sims 3.  (The game can only use two CPU cores, so your four-core eight-thread i7's abilities won't get fully utilized.)

Please also let me know what kind of framerates you get in-game.  Open the cheats console (crtl-shift-C) and enter "fps on" without quotes, and a number will appear in the upper right corner of your screen.  Let me know what kind of behavior you see overall (fps drops, wild fluctuations, etc.) and what the average seems to be when you're not moving the camera.

And just in case something weird happened with only this one save, please start a new one in Sunset Valley for comparison.  I'm not suggesting you have to abandon this save, only that it would be useful to confirm that the issue is more global.

Finally, let me know whether you're using any mods, and if so, which ones.  If they're adult mods, just name the creators rather than the mods themselves; all others can be listed, just don't link them.

Message 4 of 7 (461 Views)

★ Novice

Hi.  I have played with the laptop plugged in occasionally - I'll stop doing this.  The frame rate is from 58 to 63 most of the time.  It goes up a little when visiting other households to 83 and then drops down.  I don't use any mods.  When the sim sticks the framerate doesn't really move, there is just a delay in play, but if the music is on via a hi-fi in the house, the musical notes continue to come up and float while the sims are stuck briefly.  Seems to happen when I speed up time -  doesn't fill me with confidence that the game will be able to handle any expansion packs at this rate Frown

I will create a new game to carry out the other test you suggest.  

Thanks for your help.

Message 5 of 7 (429 Views)

@annettespag74  Just to clarify, you do need to play while the laptop is plugged in.  It's when the laptop is not plugged in that performance drops.

Message 6 of 7 (427 Views)

★ Novice

Ah ok.  I misunderstood when you said 'when it's on battery' - I thought you meant on charge.  Will try that.  Thanks

Message 7 of 7 (425 Views)