Lagging, freezing, and jumpy Sims. Sims 3.

by sfarley89

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Lagging, freezing, and jumpy Sims. Sims 3.

★★ Novice

I know this has probably been asked, but there are so many pages of questions that it would take me hours to go through them all. I play Sims 3 from Origin and have experiencing lagging, freezing, and jumpy Sims for a couple of months now. I have looked around the internet for a solution and found to delete some things (caches, screenshots) from the folder (and I have), update the game (and it is), among other solutions. I have had my brother (who is VERY knowledgeable on fixing games and such on computer) look at it and he is at a loss. I have about eight to nine expansion packs (World Adventures, Pets, Seasons, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, University, Island Paradise, and even Town Life Stuff) and I even have a LOT of store content in my game, mainly things for children and some clothing items and merchandise for houses. I do have several saved games for several reasons: my sister-in-law has a game on there that she plays when she comes over for a visit (she has moved her family around a bit and has saved the game under different names, creating [unkowingly] two or three extra "spots" in the saved games "bank" when we start up the game); I have my main game that keeps lagging, freezing, and jumping and have started up two other games to replace it so I can play (those have started to experience the same problem); and I have about 3-5 other games that I like to play every once in a while, one or two are still smoothly playable. I am asking for help to fix my game and that a patch can be used, such as the one that was made for Sims 2 when it experienced the same problem and was fixed.

Thank you!

Message 1 of 12 (115,033 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Lagging, freezing, and jumpy Sims. Sims 3.

[ Edited ]
Hero

Yes, you did.

-------------------

Try resetting all your Sims in your town with resetsim *

To do so

• Open the cheat console with ctl-shift-c
  • Type resetsim * (including the *)

This should put all your sims and animals to a safe location.

You might have a stuck Sim somewhere

Here's some more tips: http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-3/FAQ-Lags-amp-Freezes/td-p/646

Also Islo Paradiso has it's own set of issues, that's why I asked what world you were playing. Sunset Valley and Twinbrookes should have any particular lagging issues. It's mostly Islo Paradiso, Bridgeport and the WA worlds that have those.

----------

If that doesn't help, could you post your Computer's DxDiag?

To gather a DxDiag on your computer, please follow the steps here: http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-3/HOW-TO-DxDiag-for-Sims-3-PC-Only/td-p/1049584/

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

View in thread

Message 4 of 12 (141,533 Views)

All Replies

Hero

@sfarley89 Which world are you playing ? What's your operating system ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 12 (115,009 Views)

★★ Novice

Which world am I playing? As in town? Um, it varies, actually. A couple of my families are in Sunset Valley, while others are in Appaloosa Plains and Twinbrook. I was playing in Isla Paradiso a while back, but my game was laggy kind of right away, so I moved my family to Sunset Valley or Appaloosa Plans (one of the two). Just 30 minutes ago, I played a family that I created a while ago (a three to four generational family) and I am in Sunset Valley(?) with them. That family is one of the few families that hasn't lagged yet. My main family is in Twinbrook. Although, I was playing in Sunset Valley a while back and one of my main family games is in Sunset Valley and it was starting to have the problems I need help on. Would it help I deleted everyone in the towns? See, my main game is my husband and I and our close friends and family in the town, so I wouldn't know who to delete out of the town. My "second attempt" main game, which was made after my original game started going jumpy, has the same families and friends. My "third attempt" has no one, except for my husband and I and that one is also lagging. Could it be the weather, too? The expansion packs I chose to have are what real life has and I love playing with them, especially Pets, Seasons, and Generations. I am big familywoman, too, and these are important to me. The other expansions are meaningful, too.

I have Windows 7(?) and it's not an old computer. It's a custom-built, "super computer", designed to take a lot of games, applications, and whatever else my husband and I decided to install/put on it...with the exception of viruses, of course. The computer is a year old this year. In fact, last year, for my birthday, my husband surprised me with the computer (April 21st). Of course, it's for the both of us, but he wanted to surprise me with it. It has the best quality parts for the cheapest price my husband, his youngest brother, and my brother could find for it. I don't remember how much ram is in the computer, but, my brother checked that up this past weekend and informed my husband and I that have MORE than enough ram to play the game.

Any more questions? If there's a question that you need answered in order to help me with this problem, PLEASE PLEASE ask. I'll do my best to answer. Also, please be patient with me, I am not that good at finding all the details on my computer about systems and such, I'm not as tech-savvy as my brother is. Being that Windows 7 is a different operating system than my Windows Vista on my laptop and the windows 98(?)95(?) I grew up on, I am not familiar with how Windows 7 operates very well or where to find that information. Also, I'll do my best to answer questions about the game, itself.

Hope I answered your question, too. Standard smile

Message 3 of 12 (115,005 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

Yes, you did.

-------------------

Try resetting all your Sims in your town with resetsim *

To do so

• Open the cheat console with ctl-shift-c
  • Type resetsim * (including the *)

This should put all your sims and animals to a safe location.

You might have a stuck Sim somewhere

Here's some more tips: http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-3/FAQ-Lags-amp-Freezes/td-p/646

Also Islo Paradiso has it's own set of issues, that's why I asked what world you were playing. Sunset Valley and Twinbrookes should have any particular lagging issues. It's mostly Islo Paradiso, Bridgeport and the WA worlds that have those.

----------

If that doesn't help, could you post your Computer's DxDiag?

To gather a DxDiag on your computer, please follow the steps here: http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-3/HOW-TO-DxDiag-for-Sims-3-PC-Only/td-p/1049584/

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 4 of 12 (141,534 Views)

★★ Novice

How do I reset them all? Is it all at once or do I take the time to reset every. single. Sim? Do I type the resetsim *all sims? I'm a little bit confused on this. I hardly ever travel anymore for I heard there was a glitch that my family relationships could be severed (like mom and daughter aren't mom and daughter anymore). 

Message 5 of 12 (114,996 Views)

Hero (Retired)

the reset sim * resets every sim (and or animal if you own pets expansion pack )  to reset all sims ctrl+shift+c hold all 3 together in the menu bar that appears at the top of the screen type in resetsim *   (inculding the * hit enter ) this will reset all sims inculdeing your own

Message 6 of 12 (114,994 Views)

★★ Novice

Okay, so out of very little hope (for I had pretty much given up ever playing my family again), I tried the "resetsim *" and, to my surprise, it seemed to have worked. I'm kind of expecting to get on today or tomorrow and things aren't fixed, so I wont "accept as solution" until I have tried my game a few times to make sure. Thank you, though, for the suggestion.

Message 7 of 12 (114,986 Views)

★★ Novice

Just wanted to let you know that the "resetsim *" seems to be working. I've used it quite a few times when my sims seem to start getting glitchy and it works. The other day, my game started to get freezy and lagging again and, out of fear that I had a new problem or same problem and "resetsim *" not possibly working, I saved my game and quit. I returned to it the following day and it was fine. I think it was because I had some youtube videos up and it was making the game run a bit slow...I hope, anyway. I have installed some content from the store over the past two days, but only about 6-7 items (hair styles and a grill). I also, I believe, installed (I hope) two mods on breastfeeding and homeschooling.

I do have one other question, I've been wanting to install Overwatch and NRAAS(?). Are these good mods for glitchy computers? 

Message 8 of 12 (114,971 Views)

Hero

I use many NRaas mods myself but make sure to educate yourself about mods.

We can't really talk about them here since they are not supported by EA and you'll be using at your own risk.

Thank you for your feedback Standard smile

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 9 of 12 (114,967 Views)

★★ Novice

Thank YOU for your help. You have no idea how relieved I am to be able to play my Sim family again. In fact, I've been able to achieve some goals that I wanted to achieve. Of course, the end goal is really far away, and I'm having a lot of fun getting there. Your help has saved me much stress and has allowed me to enjoy my game again. Thank you, once again. Where can I get information about mods?

Message 10 of 12 (114,964 Views)