Lag - tried everything I can find to try

by tsbaylor03

Original Post

Re: Lag - tried everything I can find to try

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

OK - well thought the problem was solved.  You are right - it's running on the integrated card.  I tried the tutorial you linked, but still can't get it to swap to the NVIDIA.  I have contacted EA help (which was no help), NVIDIA help (same result), and have put in a ticket to MSI for suggestions.  

I have also adjusted the power setting on the card for Sims to high performance mode per NVIDIA help desk.  Any other suggestions?  I'm pulling my hair out.  EA did give me a beta patch that made the game run better, but still runs on the integrated chip.  They just said that the Sims "chooses the card" and there is nothing you can do to change that...which sounds like crap to me.

Any more words of wisdom??

Message 11 of 23 (344 Views)

Hero

Did you try downloading the Nvidia experience and start the game through there ? Might already be on your computer.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 12 of 23 (337 Views)

★★★★ Novice

yep. tried that. Everyone keeps telling me the settings are right and it should work.

Message 13 of 23 (333 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

Hm.

I just played around a bit on mine and maybe DxDiag will not be the same if you're actually ingame.

Does this also say it's running on the integrated chip ?

http://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2013/06/getting-the-game-to-recognize-your-card.html

If you go to your NVidia control panel (or whatever it is called in english) and go to 3d settings, is the graphic card chosen for thesims3 ?

I'm curious: What beta patch did EA give you ? Does it have a number ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 14 of 23 (329 Views)

★★★★ Novice

What do you mean DxDiag is different in game? I know just enough about computers to be dangerous, so forgive me if I sound dense!  I did notice that my Nvidia card was not listed on the graphicscard.sgr.  I added it there.  Settings in Nvidia control panel have been set to run on that card, but still no luck.  

http://akamai.cdn.ea.com/eadownloads/u/f/sims/sims3/patches/TS3_1.63.5.0240xx_update.exe

That was the link to the patch.  It did make it run faster, but didn't fix the problem I actually went to them with...typical. 

My game is playable with crummy graphics.  Very frustrating.  I did get lost a bit in trying to edit the graphicsrules file.  Maybe that's where I went astray??

Message 15 of 23 (323 Views)

Hero

That's the normal patch.

What I mean is, that I don't know if when you start the game, it will switch to your nvidia graphic card but when you go back to your desktop it will used the integrated card so that's what DxDiag will show. So it might not necessarly be not detected just because DxDiag says you're running on the chip.

The graphicscard.sgr is much more accurate. So it says Intel there too ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 16 of 23 (317 Views)

★★★★ Novice

my Nvidia card want even listed on there.  The quick check for me is to set graphics to default.  Based on their grid, if it's running on the nvidia, all settings should default to high. Every time I have tried it,  it sets to mid-low settings

Message 17 of 23 (314 Views)

Hero

If you check the DeviceConfig.log in the user files.

What card does this part show: 

=== Graphics device info ===
Number: 0
Name (driver): <Name of your Graphics Card>
Name (database): <Name of your Graphics Card> [Found: 0, Matched: 1]

(sorry, I'm confusing problems here so my last answer wasn't accurate)

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 18 of 23 (312 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Oh yeah - that ones shows the Intel card.  

Message 19 of 23 (309 Views)

Hero

So, I wonder if we go about this the wrong way.

Did some self-testing since my laptop (I usually play on my desktop) has a similar setup (Intel HD graphics with 32 MB dedicated memory and a NVidia 620M.

No matter what I do, I can't get the log file to change BUT I feel it runs on the card anyways.

I found this: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/528621/geforce-700-600-series/can-39-t-disable-integrated-i...

Try the tips by Mikullovcii and dbcanuck. It does show for me that it runs on the card. Make sure to add ts3w.exe to the list, not only just the launcher.

My setting do not reset. I have to put them to what I want once and then they stick. 

I'll ask around but I think things changed since Nvidi's Experience program. Maybe the file needs to be manually adjusted but I'm unsure.

I don't have much time the coming days but I'll keep you posted.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 20 of 23 (640 Views)