Re: Lag on a good computer

by thisisarealpainx

Original Post

Lag on a good computer

[ Edited ]

So I have a brand new gaming laptop and most of the time it runs the game great but I do experience lag on it every so often (usually at least once per gaming session). I switched on the FPS counter and while most of the time my FPS is at about 100- 150, at the times where the game starts to lag the fps drops to 20-30. The game gets over it if I pause for a while or go to map view but I can't help but think this shouldn't be happening.

I've tried updating my drivers, clearing my cache, repairing the game, removing my mods, deleting my screenshots - all to no avail. I do play on ultra but my laptop should be able to handle that.

Should this be happening? If not, how can I fix it?

Here is (some of) my DxDiag report (full report attached):

Machine name: ALIEN
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 17763) (17763.rs5_release.180914-1434)
System Manufacturer: Alienware
System Model: Alienware Area-51m
BIOS: 1.6.2 (type: UEFI)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz (16 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 16186MB RAM
Page File: 14239MB used, 4378MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 12
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
Miracast: Available, with HDCP
Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
DxDiag Version: 10.00.17763.0001 64bit Unicode

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce RTX 2080
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Type: Full Device (POST)
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1ED0&SUBSYS_08C41028&REV_A1
Device Status: 0180200A [DN_DRIVER_LOADED|DN_STARTED|DN_DISABLEABLE|DN_NT_ENUMERATOR|DN_NT_DRIVER]
Device Problem Code: No Problem
Driver Problem Code: Unknown
Display Memory: 16102 MB
Dedicated Memory: 8010 MB
Shared Memory: 8092 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (144Hz)
Message 1 of 10 (473 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

@thisisarealpainx

Have a look here and please check for an update to your BIOS.

https://www.dell.com/support/article/pl/pl/plbsd1/sln315938/nvidia-driver-deployment-causing-windows...

I don't work for EA

Message 2 of 10 (447 Views)

[ Edited ]

@kreatora thank you. I did update the BIOS a two days ago because of this issue but I suppose I can see if there has been another update during that time. 

Message 3 of 10 (439 Views)

Hero (Retired)
@thisisarealpainx

I don't think there will the new update after 2 days.
Maybe check if your Windows is up to date.
There was an error caused by the system with a frame rate drop and recently updates should fix it
https://support.microsoft.com/help/4027667/windows-10-update
At the last resort disconnect the internet completely when you are in the game and see if it changes something. There were reports on other forums of other games, that some new modems may also cause this.
It looks like an epidemic because there are a lot of reports recently about the falling frame rate and every time there is another reason for this
Message 4 of 10 (427 Views)

@kreatora You’re right. I just checked and I have the latest BIOS. Hmmm I do sometimes play offline but I could try disconnecting from the internet altogether and see if that helps. My modem is 4 years old so not very new.

Message 5 of 10 (418 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

@thisisarealpainx

I forget to ask you. Have you any graphics program running in the background? If yes turn it off.
Another reason to frame rate drop-in game

Message 6 of 10 (408 Views)

@kreatora what sort of graphics program would that be? Like Nvidia container or Intel HD graphics drivers?

Message 7 of 10 (402 Views)

Hero (Retired)
@thisisarealpainx

Only some program like photoshop and similar. But I see you do not have any. Some programs like Nahimic2, MSI Afterburner, and RivaTuner can also cause it but there are a lot of similar programs and it is only guessing which one you can have
Message 8 of 10 (395 Views)

Thank you @kreatora no I don’t use any programmes like that.

Message 9 of 10 (390 Views)

Hero (Retired)
@thisisarealpainx

I see that disconnecting the internet didn't help. I'm sorry but I can not invent anything anymore. Maybe another helper will come with a better solution.
Message 10 of 10 (383 Views)