Just installed Sims 4: won't open

by n3k3101

Original Post

Just installed Sims 4: won't open

★★★ Newbie

Hello all. I purchased and downloaded the Sims 4 game today but I cannot play it. It won't open. The screen is black for a second then flashes white and minimizes itself. It doesn't run at all. My drivers are updated already and I've tried using the repair option in Origin but nothing is working. I feel like I wasted my money 

Message 1 of 5 (446 Views)

Re: Just installed Sims 4: won't open

@n3k3101  I've moved your post to the Sims 4 PC tech section.  Please run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 5 (413 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I've attached it

Message 3 of 5 (354 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@n3k3101 There is a graphics driver that is newer then the one you have

• Date: 06/26/2020
  • Version: 27.20.100.8336 (Latest)

You may have the wrong driver installed (possibility) and it looks that maybe there may be some updates for Windows 10 that need to be installed.Need to check as either could cause issues.

Message 4 of 5 (329 Views)

@n3k3101  Your dxdiag does have one error related to your graphics driver, and another related to running Origin in compatiblity mode.  Please undo the compatibility mode setting for Origin, and any you have for Sims 4 as well—both run fine in Windows 10.  Please also disable Origin in-game: hover over your username, select Application Settings, then the Origin in-game header, and disable the option at the top.

There are also a number of Windows errors in your dxdiag.  So it's a good idea to run a couple of basic checks on your Windows system files.  Here's how:

• Hit Windows key-X
  • Choose either “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Command prompt (Administrator),” whichever option is offered
  • Inside the window that appears, copy and paste “DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth” without quotes into the window, and enter
  • The system will start validating soon. If it throws an error, please list it here
  • After it reaches 100%, hit Windows key-X again
  • Again, choose “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Command prompt (Administrator)”
  • Inside the window, copy and paste “sfc /scannow” without quotes into the window, and enter
  • Post the message you receive here

If sfc reports that it found corrupt files and was unable to repair some of them, please stop here and let me know.  Otherwise, restart your computer and look for pending Windows updates.  Hit Windows key-i, select Apps, then click the button to check for updates.  If there are a number pending, it may take a few tries, with restarts in between, to run them all.

If you still can't play, please repair the game in Origin; it may not have installed correctly.  Open your Origin game library, right-click on the Sims 4 icon, and select Repair.

If none of this helps, then the next step would be to install a new driver for your graphics chip.  HP doesn't offer a newer one than you have, but Intel does.  You can get it here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29674/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers?product=88185

Once you've installed it, restart your computer, and try to play again.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 5 of 5 (294 Views)