Re: Issue running Sims 3, Asks to reinstall

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

Issue running Sims 3, Asks to reinstall

★★★ Novice

Hi! I have been having an issue with Origin playing the sims 3 and also had this with Medieval. It tells me I have to install the game, which I have had installed for quite some time. I have over 300 gbs available on my hard drive and have played it before on this computer.

I am unable to play both games as it says I have to install it. Origin is up to date and my computer does run metal, so it shouldn't be the legacy edition at all. No CC or mods installed for sims 3 or medieval. In my applications folder, The Sims 3 has a white circle with a line going through it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Specs: 
iMac (27-inch, Late 2013)

MacOS Catalina Version 10.15.3

8 GB memory, 1TB HD (Over 300 gbs free)

Message 1 of 6 (536 Views)

★★★ Novice

I clicked install and it says this:

An unexpected installation error has occurred. First, try restarting your computer. If that doesn’t resolve the issue you can take the following steps:
1) Temporarily disable your virus scanner/firewall
2) Run the Origin Client in administrator mode
3) Reboot your Machine and try installing again

Error: 327682:0

Message 2 of 6 (523 Views)

@AlexisDawn52  The issue is Catalina: it doesn't run 32-bit apps at all, and both Sims 3 and Sims Medieval are 32-bit.  There's no way around this issue.  However, for Sims 3 at least, EA has announced a 64-bit version of Sims 3 for macOS, to be released (hopefully) some time this year; given the current situation and the latest news from Apple, delays are kind of inevitable.  Here's the full announcement, and the latest update on the project:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/An-announcement-for-The-Sims-3-players-on-Mac/td-p/82...

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/the-sims-3-64-bit-amp-metal-release/m-p/9438228#M8154

In the interim, your only options are to play on another computer, to install Windows on your Mac (via Bootcamp or Parallels), or to install Mojave on an external hard drive or USB and boot into that when you want to play.  For the second option, you'd need enough drive space to devote to Windows and the game; for the third, you'd need at least temporary access to a Mac running Mojave or earlier.  Let me know whether you'd like more information about either of these options.

There hasn't been any announcement about Sims Medieval, although it's always possible that game will be updated too.  Given its relative lack of popularity though, I wouldn't count on it.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 3 of 6 (522 Views)

★★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict Thank you so much for the quick response! I hope they come out with that fix soon, it would be great to play again. Could you tell me more about loading Mojave on a external HD to boot that up? I'm unfamiliar with that process. Thank you again!
Message 4 of 6 (517 Views)

@AlexisDawn52  I could describe it, but this is a much better guide:

https://bluebellflora.com/running-32-bit-apps-after-macos-mojave/

The game would run much faster if you installed it and Mojave on an SSD, but that's not required.

If you have questions about the process at any point, feel free to ask.  I've isntalled a coupld of OSs on external drives using these exact instructions, and it's pretty straightforward.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 5 of 6 (513 Views)

★★★ Novice

Thanks so much! I will try that this weekend!

Message 6 of 6 (456 Views)