Is 4GB and 1TB of storage enough?🤔

by Cbreezylover420

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Is 4GB and 1TB of storage enough?🤔

★★ Novice

Hello, im thinking about purchasing a new HP laptop at target for 299.00 with tax it will be 325.88 and it said to have 4gb of memory and 1tb of storage this is all the other information:

Dimensions (Overall): .89 inches (H) x 14.8 inches (W) x 9.69 inches Cocktail
Weight: 4.6 pounds
Hard Drive Speed: 5400 RPM
Total RAM Slots Free: 0 Free/1 Total
Built-In Graphics Card Model: AMD Radeon R5
Includes: Battery, AC Power Adapter
Battery Charge Life: Up to 7.5 Hours
Electronics Condition: New
Number of USB ports: 3
Electronics Features: Touchpad, multi-touch gesture support, island-style keyboard, built-in microphone, built-in bluetooth, built-in webcam, built-in speaker, SVA display, backlit display
Data Storage Drive Interface: SATA
Processor Type: AMD A9-9425
Operating System: Windows 10
Data Storage Drive Capacity: 1TB Hard Drive Capacity
Maximum Resolution: 1366 x 768
Input Type: USB 3.1, RJ-45, HDMI
Connectivity: USB 2.0, RJ-45 (Ethernet), HDMI, USB 2.0
Output Type: RJ-45, HDMI
Wireless Technology: Wi-Fi, Bluetooth
Number of Audio Outputs: 1 Side
Screen Size: 15.6 inches
System RAM: 4 gigabyte
Maximum RAM Supported: 4 gigabyte
Built-In Card Reader Type: Multi-in-1 Card Reader
Memory RAM Type: SDRAM
RAM Configuration: 1x4GB
Processor Brand: AMD
Battery: Required, included

is this good🤔...
Message 1 of 5 (3,543 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Is 4GB and 1TB of storage enough?🤔

@Cbreezylover420  Yes, it would definitely be frustrating to spend that much money on a laptop that could barely run Sims 4 at all, especially if you were willing to pay a bit more.  On that note, this laptop from Best Buy is definitely a significant improvement.  But you could still do better for the same price.

For example, this laptop ($530) has an AMD Radeon Vega 8 graphics card, which is still integrated but is faster than an Intel 620.  It would run all TS4 packs on medium settings, with maybe one or two on high.  Its processor is equal to the one you found, and it also has 12 GB RAM.  Its disadvantage is that although it has a large hard drive, it's quite slow.  I don't know how you plan to use this laptop; a single 256 GB drive might be enough.  It's plenty for Sims 4, your saves and other files, plus a couple of smaller apps like browsers.  It's not enough if you want to store a large collection of music, photos, etc.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-s340-15api-touch-15-6-touch-screen-laptop-amd-ryzen-5-12gb-memor...

The real gaming laptops start off a bit more expensive.  This one ($600) has a dedicated card that's capable of running all Sims 4 packs on ultra settings now, although only barely.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-nitro-5-15-6-gaming-laptop-amd-ryzen-5-8gb-memory-amd-radeon-rx-56...

This one ($610) has a slightly faster graphics card and a slightly weaker processor.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-vivobook-15-15-6-gaming-laptop-amd-ryzen-5-8gb-memory-nvidia-gefor...

Both only have a 256 GB hard drive, although the Acer does have an empty slot for a second drive should you decide you need one later.  If you do like the second one, it's $10 cheaper on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Vivobook-IPS-Level-GeForce-Graphics-Fingerprint/dp/B07SXST6P9

The other option is to buy a used laptop.  This one offered by Amazon Warehouse is an excellent option.  It's a proper gaming laptop, with a stronger processor and faster graphics card than the others listed here.  It has a 1 TB hybrid drive, which will be much faster than a mechanical drive (still slower than an SSD) but is plenty of storage for almost anyone.  Amazon Warehouse does provide some quality assurance guarantees, so it's less of a risk than buying elsewhere.

https://www.amazon.com/8th-Gen-i5-8300H-FireCuda-Gigabit-FX504GE-US52/dp/B07CZ8TP35

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 4 of 5 (3,474 Views)

All Replies

@Cbreezylover420  No, sorry, this laptop won't run Sims 4 very well.  It only has 4 GB RAM, half of which Windows will take for itself.  It also has a weak processor and graphics card, neither of which is built to handle even moderate games like TS4.  The laptop could likely handle the base game and a few game or stuff packs on lower settings.  But high settings would be out of the question, and in all likelihood so would the more demanding among the expansion packs (e.g. Seasons, Island Living).

In your price range, there really aren't any good options for new laptops.  If you catch a good sale, an entry-level gaming laptop might cost only $600 U.S., but even that's not always possible.  Used gaming laptops aren't much cheaper on sites like Amazon or Best Buy.  Even compromising somewhat on the specs, a new laptop that could handle most packs on medium settings might still be over $500.

If you're willing to spend a bit more, I can recommend some decent options for you.  Otherwise, the only place you might find a decent laptop in your price range is on Ebay, and there's always some risk involved with that.  (At the very least, you'd want to take the laptop to a store to get looked over, so you could return it if necessary.)

If you'd like help finding something better, new or used, please feel free to ask.

Message 2 of 5 (3,503 Views)

★★ Novice

thanks so much for the great advice i would have been mad as hell spending over 300$ on something thats not going to play probably😩 i found a better one a little bit more pricey its over 500$ would this be better?

Windows 10 brings back the Start Menu from Windows 7 and introduces new features, like the Edge Web browser that lets you markup Web pages on your screen. Learn more ›

15.6" touch screen

BrightView glossy screen maintains the vivid colors in your photos and videos. Typical 1366 x 768 HD resolution. WLED backlight.

8th Gen Intel® Core™ i5-8265U mobile processor

Ultra-low-voltage platform. Quad-core, eight-way processing provides maximum high-efficiency power to go. Intel Turbo Boost Technology delivers dynamic extra power when you need it.

12GB system memory for full-power multitasking

Plenty of high-bandwidth RAM to smoothly run your games and photo- and video-editing applications, as well as multiple programs and browser tabs all at once.

256GB Solid State Drive accelerated by Intel® Optane™

SSDs with Intel® Optane™ memory are the fastest as compared to NAND SSDs*. Intel Optane H10 with SSD offers speedy storage and accelerates opening your frequent programs. *see www.bestbuy.com/optaneh10disclaimers.

Solid State Drive (PCI-e)

Save files fast and store more data. With massive amounts of storage and advanced communication power, PCI-e SSDs are great for major gaming applications, multiple servers, daily backups, and more.

Intel® UHD Graphics 620

On-processor graphics with shared video memory provide everyday image quality for Internet use, basic photo editing and casual gaming.

Weighs 3.75 lbs. and measures 0.7" thin

Ultrathin and ultralight for maximum portability, featuring a smaller screen size and omitting the DVD/CD drive to achieve the compact form factor. 3-cell lithium-ion battery.

HDMI output expands your viewing options

Connect to an HDTV or high-def monitor to set up two screens side by side or just see more of the big picture.

Message 3 of 5 (3,492 Views)

@Cbreezylover420  Yes, it would definitely be frustrating to spend that much money on a laptop that could barely run Sims 4 at all, especially if you were willing to pay a bit more.  On that note, this laptop from Best Buy is definitely a significant improvement.  But you could still do better for the same price.

For example, this laptop ($530) has an AMD Radeon Vega 8 graphics card, which is still integrated but is faster than an Intel 620.  It would run all TS4 packs on medium settings, with maybe one or two on high.  Its processor is equal to the one you found, and it also has 12 GB RAM.  Its disadvantage is that although it has a large hard drive, it's quite slow.  I don't know how you plan to use this laptop; a single 256 GB drive might be enough.  It's plenty for Sims 4, your saves and other files, plus a couple of smaller apps like browsers.  It's not enough if you want to store a large collection of music, photos, etc.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-s340-15api-touch-15-6-touch-screen-laptop-amd-ryzen-5-12gb-memor...

The real gaming laptops start off a bit more expensive.  This one ($600) has a dedicated card that's capable of running all Sims 4 packs on ultra settings now, although only barely.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-nitro-5-15-6-gaming-laptop-amd-ryzen-5-8gb-memory-amd-radeon-rx-56...

This one ($610) has a slightly faster graphics card and a slightly weaker processor.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-vivobook-15-15-6-gaming-laptop-amd-ryzen-5-8gb-memory-nvidia-gefor...

Both only have a 256 GB hard drive, although the Acer does have an empty slot for a second drive should you decide you need one later.  If you do like the second one, it's $10 cheaper on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Vivobook-IPS-Level-GeForce-Graphics-Fingerprint/dp/B07SXST6P9

The other option is to buy a used laptop.  This one offered by Amazon Warehouse is an excellent option.  It's a proper gaming laptop, with a stronger processor and faster graphics card than the others listed here.  It has a 1 TB hybrid drive, which will be much faster than a mechanical drive (still slower than an SSD) but is plenty of storage for almost anyone.  Amazon Warehouse does provide some quality assurance guarantees, so it's less of a risk than buying elsewhere.

https://www.amazon.com/8th-Gen-i5-8300H-FireCuda-Gigabit-FX504GE-US52/dp/B07CZ8TP35

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.

Message 4 of 5 (3,475 Views)

★★ Novice

well i don’t plan on using it for photos or anything else it’s going to be only for my sims. And i appreciate all the advice and help i think i have a much better understanding on want computer to invest my money in😁

Message 5 of 5 (3,468 Views)