Betreff: Installing Sims 4 to a new hard drive

by holger1405

Original Post

Installing Sims 4 to a new hard drive

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

Hello everyone. I have a question about installing Sims 4 on a new hard drive. First of, I did a complete backup of Sims 4 game, and my entire old hard drive, onto a external drive. I thought Origin was backed up and saved on the external, and once I got my new hard drive and my OS (Windows 10) system up, and transferred my all my files and folders over, the files for Sims 4 (and my Sims 2 game) are there, I just can't figure out how to get Sims 4 working again. I did try and download Origin but it doesn't seem to work on Windows 10, as I keep getting error messages when I get it downloaded and try to install it.

So my question is if I can get Origin to work again will my Sims 4 games be there or do I have to reinstall my Sims 4 games onto the new drive? 

Thanks for any help

Message 1 of 5 (1,188 Views)

Re: Installing Sims 4 to a new hard drive

Hero (Retired)

@greenean71  The Sims 4 game like most games can not be just copied - it has to be installed. Then you can copy your user data over once you get the game installed and tested that it is working. When you install most games the installer links various files and programs to the game and adds entries to the registry if you have a pc. The installer may check to see if you have certain system files already installed and may install missing files the game needs to run. Origin is a stand alone program that can be downloaded and installed. Installing Origin should not affect the game structure although Origin is required for DRM to play the game. Most applications need to be installed. If your installing Win 10 to a new Win 10 storage device you may be able to image the old drive to the new drive. If you are changing operating systems like Win 7 to Win 10 or if your imaging from a hard drive to a ssd you will have to install the operating system from scratch. Once you have the operating system running the way you want then you can install Origin and logon. You can then install the game and packs from Origin. I recommend you test the game install to make sure the game and all addons are working. For this game you should add custom content and test the game. You can then copy the game user data over. Origin works on Win 10. Are you downloading the Origin installer from EA? Origin needs to bee installed - it can not be copied. What error messages are you getting?

Message 2 of 5 (1,166 Views)

@greenean71 

greenean71  schrieb:

I did try and download Origin but it doesn't seem to work on Windows 10, as I keep getting error messages when I get it downloaded and try to install it.

Getting Origin to run would be the first thing we should do.

What error messages exactly?

Could you provide a screenshot?

@greenean71  schrieb:

So my question is if I can get Origin to work again will my Sims 4 games be there or do I have to reinstall my Sims 4 games onto the new drive? 

If you have enough space free on the internal hard drives of the new Computer I would suggest to move the necessary files to the internal drives.
But we can focus on that as soon as Origin runs.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 3 of 5 (1,121 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

Thanks guys for the reply. I figured I would have to re-install my games, just like the past Sims games, onto a new hard drive. I can  download Origin from the Origin site, but when I try to install it it gives me this  error message: "The code execution cannot proceed because of VCRUNTIME140.DLL was not found". I also get an error with the "MSVCP140.DLL" too. I am guessing it may be some driver issue? 

Edit: With some digging around on Google, I have learned that it's a Microsoft issue and even replacing those 2 files don't help as it was suggested by Google. I would have to go through downloading all kinds of stuff to get Origin to work. So thanks everyone for the help but I am not doing all of this because it's not worth the trouble to play the game on Windows 10.

Message 4 of 5 (1,097 Views)

@greenean71 

• Download the C++ Redistributable Packages 2015 from Microsoft.
    (Both versions, x86 and x64.)
  • Install both versions > Restart the PC.
    (A real "reboot", not just shut down and restart)
  • Try the Origin installation again.

Furthermore, you can use the files you backed up on your external disc or you can download the TS4 again, whatever you want to do.

If you are not sure how to use the backed up data just ask.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 5 of 5 (1,077 Views)