Installation issue URGENT

by mikaylaobrien24

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Installation issue URGENT

★★ Novice

Hi guys,

I'm new to posting but I'm desperate. I really hope someone can help me. I've been building my Sims cc and worlds etc. for years and I don't want it to all be for nothing.

I just bought a MacBook Air and downloaded Origin; am trying to install my games but there was an error, and I had to try to install them manually out of Origin but I got a message about the game not being optimised for my computer and that the app developer needs to update the app. I need my sims working ASAP because I promised my little cousin I'd bring it for her to play when I visit her in Darwin next week... I can usually fix game problems with a google search but I can't find anything... Am I never going to be able to play the Sims3 again? I really need help. Is there anybody who knows how to bypass this message and install my games?

To anybody who can help, or who at least wants/wanted to, I'm so grateful x

-Mik

Message 1 of 7 (551 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Installation issue URGENT

@mikaylaobrien24  It means you're done for now.  EA is planning on releasing a 64-bit-compatible version of Sims 3 for macOS some time this year, although the precise date hasn't been set.  Here's the full announcement:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/An-announcement-for-The-Sims-3-players-on-Mac/td-p/82...

In the interim, you could play on a Windows PC, or you could in theory partition your hard drive and install Windows on your Mac.  In practice though, your hard drive is probably too small to accommodate Windows and Sims 3.  The other option, if you have access to a Mac running Mojave or earlier, is to install Mojave and TS3 on an external hard drive and then boot into Mojave when you wanted to play.  You'd only need to borrow the other Mac for however long it took to install Mojave (anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour or two), and then you could use the external with your own Mac.

No matter what you do though, your Mac is always going to be underpowered for the game.  Don't expect great performance on high graphics settings; the most demanding packs might be too much for it to handle.  So whether an extra effort is worth it to you depends on what you'd like to get out of the game.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 6 of 7 (498 Views)

All Replies

★★★ Apprentice
@mikaylaobrien24 Hi would you be able to send a screenshot?
Message 2 of 7 (535 Views)

@mikaylaobrien24  What version of macOS does your computer run?  If Catalina, then Sims 3 won't install at all: it (and its installer) are 32-bit apps, and Catalina is 64-bit only.  If you have Mojave still, then you can install it and probably run it, with some help.  But please list the exact specs of your Air, as described here:

https://bluebellflora.com/2018/07/24/sims-3-mac-players-i-need-your-help/#Information

in case the device ID of your graphics card needs to be added to the game's database.  And please also list the packs you'd like to install—some of them need extra help.

Message 3 of 7 (530 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

@natsnorigin  Hi! Yes of course Standard smile

Message 4 of 7 (519 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict Thank you so much for your reply!

I'm a little confused (far from a computer wiz of any kind haha) but I did check what version of macOS my computer runs.
It's the macOS Catalina

Version 10.15.1 (19B88)

Processor: 1.6 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5

Memory 8gb 2133 MHz LPDDR3

Graphics Intel UHD Graphics 617 1536 MB

Frown Does that mean I'm done for with the Sims?

Message 5 of 7 (516 Views)

@mikaylaobrien24  It means you're done for now.  EA is planning on releasing a 64-bit-compatible version of Sims 3 for macOS some time this year, although the precise date hasn't been set.  Here's the full announcement:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/An-announcement-for-The-Sims-3-players-on-Mac/td-p/82...

In the interim, you could play on a Windows PC, or you could in theory partition your hard drive and install Windows on your Mac.  In practice though, your hard drive is probably too small to accommodate Windows and Sims 3.  The other option, if you have access to a Mac running Mojave or earlier, is to install Mojave and TS3 on an external hard drive and then boot into Mojave when you wanted to play.  You'd only need to borrow the other Mac for however long it took to install Mojave (anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour or two), and then you could use the external with your own Mac.

No matter what you do though, your Mac is always going to be underpowered for the game.  Don't expect great performance on high graphics settings; the most demanding packs might be too much for it to handle.  So whether an extra effort is worth it to you depends on what you'd like to get out of the game.

Message 6 of 7 (499 Views)

★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict Thank you so much for all of this! I'm sad I can't play my game for a while on this laptop BUT I'm glad I know what's going on now. You've been a huge help, and I hope you have a lovely day!

Message 7 of 7 (475 Views)